U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:47 AM

9,643 posts, read 9,215,278 times

Advertisements

SEATTLE -- The mother of a Ballard High School student is fuming after the health center on campus helped facilitate her daughter's abortion during school hours.

Mother furious after in-school clinic sets up teen's abortion | KOMO News - Breaking News, Sports, Traffic and Weather - Seattle, Washington | Local & Regional

This is just out of control it really is. Imagine if this was your child that happened to without your knowledge.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 08:58 AM

2,584 posts, read 5,484,301 times
Quote:
"At any age in the state of Washington, an individual can consent to a termination of pregnancy,"
Apparently Jill's 15 y/o daughter wasn't as pro-life as she had thought.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:02 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,528,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Apparently Jill's 15 y/o daughter wasn't as pro-life as she had thought.
Since when is a 15 year old capable and mature enough to make life decisions? How about we allow all 15 year olds the ability to carry a gun to school too, since some people think they are mature enough to know how to handle one.

Parents have a right to know, and agree to, any procedure being conducted on a minor they are gardians over. End of story.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:03 AM

1,896 posts, read 3,148,702 times
wow.

something isn't right with this...i would be devastated if i were in this situation.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:04 AM

6,052 posts, read 9,309,754 times
No matter how you feel about abortion. This is a medical procedure, and her parents should have been notified. What if the cab had gotten into an accedent on the way to the clinic? What if she hemmoraged later that day, or got an infection? There are things that can go wrong. Symptoms her parents needed to be aware of. Totally irresponsible on the clinics part.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:04 AM

25,448 posts, read 18,610,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
SEATTLE -- The mother of a Ballard High School student is fuming after the health center on campus helped facilitate her daughter's abortion during school hours.

Mother furious after in-school clinic sets up teen's abortion | KOMO News - Breaking News, Sports, Traffic and Weather - Seattle, Washington | Local & Regional

This is just out of control it really is. Imagine if this was your child that happened to without your knowledge.
She should really be asking herself why her daughter felt it necessary to ask the school for help instead of her own mother.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:08 AM

6,898 posts, read 7,044,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
She should really be asking herself why her daughter felt it necessary to ask the school for help instead of her own mother.

More importantly why wasn't her daughter using protection or abstaining. I do not agree with the during school hours. The school should not have open themselves up to involvement in this young girls decision. It should have been limited to providing her the information and directions. If after school she chose to catch the cab to the clinic, then it would have been a different story or non-story. Other than that, her body, her choice according to Washingtons law.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:13 AM

8,321 posts, read 14,285,019 times
The mother should have been notified because of health risks and so she could be "on the lookout" for any problems should they arise. But, if the girl was "of the age to consent" per the laws, then the mother should try and get it changed.

I find it interesting that the mother claimed her daughter was a pro-life advocate. I guess the girl changed her tune when she found herself 15 and facing the consequences of pregnancy. Not generalizing... but that is quite interesting.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:18 AM

12,977 posts, read 13,391,430 times
You'll notice in the article that the clinic is not run by the school, but by Swedish Medical Center, and the treatment they provided was in line with current law in that state.

http://www.doh.wa.gov/cfh/mch/cahcp/A_of_C.pdf (broken link)

http://depts.washington.edu/adolmed/...ent%20Laws.pdf

If my daughter felt, for whatever reason, that she could not turn to me for support, I'd rather she sought out help from the appropriate sources than try some home remedy, or drive over the border for an illegal abortion.

What is telling to me about this story is that this woman went to the media with this story, which I imagine is not her daughter's wish. In understand she is angry at the school, but as they acted within the bounds of the law, her anger would be better directed at the lawmakers.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:22 AM

9,643 posts, read 9,215,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You'll notice in the article that the clinic is not run by the school, but by Swedish Medical Center, and the treatment they provided was in line with current law in that state.

http://www.doh.wa.gov/cfh/mch/cahcp/A_of_C.pdf (broken link)

http://depts.washington.edu/adolmed/...ent%20Laws.pdf
Do you think every law is the right thing?

How would you feel if this was your child? What if something happened to her while this was being done. What if something happened to this child on the way to or from getting this done.

How would you feel if this were your daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies