Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 05:52 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,684,915 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pilG7...mbedded#at=315]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 05:58 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,868,515 times
And we can find numerous liberals here who support the bill but have no clue in it...

Old 03-24-2010, 06:02 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,604,513 times
there's just no reasoning with these people.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:10 PM

37,724 posts, read 21,832,898 times
The only thing the tea party people have in common with each other, is they are upset about the out of control spending by the federal government, and upset about the state of the economy and unemployment, and they blame the federal government for causing these things to happen, or exacerbating them.

There is no common ideology, no specific political party affiliation, race or gender that draws these people together, just a distrust for government, and a collective cry to stop ruining our country.

So trying to paint the tea party people with a broad brush is useless.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:14 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,984,950 times
They sound like half the posters here. Nothing but talking points and no facts.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:17 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,688,603 times
Well the FACTS are we are sick of being taxed to death. Now Durbin says this bill will control the people. LOL.. Well I guess some of us do need control.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:29 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,845,582 times
It is starting to sound like what tea partiers have in common is violent crime.

First brick-throwing at five different political offices. Spitting at elected officials. Now a tea party member published the home address of what he thought was a congressman, turns out it was someone else--and nearly blew them up by cutting the gas line, along with his four young children.

It's one thing to shout and protest. But this kind of unrestrained and unchecked violence against innocent bystanders who have nothing to do with the political debate is unamerican.

I would like to not paint all tea partiers with the same brush stroke, but I have not yet seen any member condemn these acts of violence, so I can only presume they condone them.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:42 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,984,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Well the FACTS are we are sick of being taxed to death. Now Durbin says this bill will control the people. LOL.. Well I guess some of us do need control.
Your taxes have not increased during the Obama administration.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:49 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
It is starting to sound like what tea partiers have in common is violent crime.

First brick-throwing at five different political offices. Spitting at elected officials. Now a tea party member published the home address of what he thought was a congressman, turns out it was someone else--and nearly blew them up by cutting the gas line, along with his four young children.

It's one thing to shout and protest. But this kind of unrestrained and unchecked violence against innocent bystanders who have nothing to do with the political debate is unamerican.

I would like to not paint all tea partiers with the same brush stroke, but I have not yet seen any member condemn these acts of violence, so I can only presume they condone them.
You mean the lack of restraint like the liberal fruitcake who threw things at Palin from a second story balcony, and all the liberal nuts on this board thought it was great?

Old 03-24-2010, 06:50 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,281,317 times
What is to stop me from saving money by paying the $700 fine each year, and then just waiting until I have a million dollar illness and signing up for health care at that point. They can't refuse me. I'll just wait to pay premiums until I am sick, and when I get better, I'll stop.

It's kinda like if my house burned down yesterday, and today I call for fire insurance and then they have to fix my house.

I won't pay them for years, and then they'll have to pay for all my medical treatment, and then I won't pay them again. This will be totally legal under the new laws. I'll just pay like a month or two of premiums and the insurance company can pay for my major surgeries and hospital stay, and I'll cancel again. This is genius! Free enterprise at it's greatest!

How will insurance companies stay in business?

Or is that the plan? They all go out of business and then we all have not choice but to actually all fall under government run health care?

And for those of you that think this will actually make it easier and cheaper for you to have health care, you realize that there is nothing that limits what the insurance companies can charge. They will just charge you more to make up for my lack of premiums and really expensive illness. They can charge you $5000 a month, and by law, you would be required to pay it.

What am I missing here? How is this a positive thing?

Also, if you read the news, hundreds of business are going to lay off employees. There are tons of restaurants and business with 60 or 70 people who are laying them off to get under 50 employees. Otherwise they have to buy health insurance for all of their employees. One company said that they have so many employees it is going to cost $100 million to insure everyone (it's a big company) so they are going to have MASSIVE lay offs to help save the $100 million that they now have to pay.

This is going to lead to tens of thousands of lost jobs. Companies that are barely scraping buy have a huge new expense. Every company in the country with over 50 employees must provide insurance.

Even if someone has insurance. Case in point, my husband is covered by my insurance and has declined insurance from his employers in the past in exchange for a better pay rate. Now they will be forced to buy him insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies