Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:48 PM

527 posts, read 467,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Jill, I would have voted yes for the same reason.

I am a little concerned about the threats to legislators and their families that seem to be escalating. Stupak has had to refer no less than 50 threatening voicemail messages to the Capitol Police for investigation and that is just one of many examples.
Yes the crazies like to make their threatening phone calls, probably from a pay phone so that they won't be traced- typical cowards threatening someone over the phone-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 08:49 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
This is definitely going to hurt the Republicans for 2 reasons:

1. Historically, both in this country and in other developed democracies, welfare legislation tends to be less popular before passage than after. This is because the debate around welfare legislation tends to be especially contentious, there is a ton of negative advertising and the legislation is constantly in flux as things are being added and taken out. Additionally, before passage the benefits of the bill are merely theoretical. Psychological research shows that people are risk-averse, they tend to fear changes but accept them once it comes to pass. NOW that the legislation has passed, however, the negative advertising will die down and the bill is no longer changing--this means that the focus now turns to what the bill actually means for people. People generally support the big aspects of this legislation (no denying coverage b/c of pre-existing conditions, increasing prescription coverage in Medicare, no cancelling coverage, no life-term limits on coverage, reduced premiums, subsidies for buying insurance, etc.) and now that they have it, they aren't going to want to give it up. It was the same with Social Security and Medicare; there was a lot of opposition before they passed. Within a few months of passage, however, these programs started to become much more popular. Today, no sane politician would call for their repeal. The same will be said of this healthcare bill. Republicans are going to be cast as trying to allow insurance companies to deny coverage b/c of preexisting conditions, they are going to be accused of trying to increase the cost of prescriptions for those on Medicare, etc.

2. The threats of violence and overall insanity of the extreme radical right-wing fringe groups is really bad for the Republicans. I recognize that this is a very small subset of the population, that they don't represent most Republicans. However, they are highly visible and they are making death threats against Democratic Congressmen as well as their families. This is not something the majority of Americans have any patience for; this is really quickly going to start hurting Republicans, especially considering that they have been slow to denounce it and several have appeared to be supporting it.
Thoughtful response. One of the reasons Republican politicians are taking heat is their own behavior. The crazy & highly emotional responses from Republican congressman & senators are being played over and over again on tv\ u-tube. They show Republican congress people waving "Don't tread on us" waves to enrage the crowd of tea bag terrorists last weekend. All this talk of a "Civil War" and Palin putting gun scopes on Democratic offices are becoming the joke for late-night comedians and super-negative comments from newspapers and other media outlets. The Republicans are in serious risk of a major backlash if they are seen as anti-American. Not their finest hour!

Old 03-24-2010, 08:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,687 times
To the OP. It is the democrats who have seriously overplayed their hand. Americans are not into tyranny.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:07 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,230,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This post offers nothing but rhetoric.
Yeah, I saw nothing but unsupported generalities in the OP.

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
This audio clip (w/transcript) tells more about this ridiculous "familiarity" that you believe in.
Ah Nixon, he never fails to be a closet d-bag. The fact remains that the private insurance mandate passed by Democrats on Sunday was essentially what Nixon pushed for in 1974. The reasons may be different, but the results are the same. And either way the health insurance companies are the real winners here.

By the way John Ehrlichman is a pathetic excuse for a human being, and that little transcript is a perfect example why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
To the OP. It is the democrats who have seriously overplayed their hand. Americans are not into tyranny.
Well, I guess we are just going to have to watch and see what happens. But if today's developments are an indication of things to come then I would say that the Republicans are continuing to lose. Not only did they lose their fight against health care reform but they have lost the respect of the American people. Seriously, the radical right-wing\ tea baggers are dragging the Republican party into a deep hole & it will take skillful Republicans to correct this problem ASAP. Any time a group tries to intimidate Americans they suffer. It is a real shame that the group attempting to hurt Americans are Republicans. It is like a death-wish they will sorely regret!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:11 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,516,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Well, I guess we are just going to have to watch and see what happens. But if today's developments are an indication of things to come then I would say that the Republicans are continuing to lose. Not only did they lose their fight against health care reform but they have lost the respect of the American people. Seriously, the radical right-wing\ tea baggers are dragging the Republican party into a deep hole & it will take skillful Republicans to correct this problem ASAP. Any time a group tries to intimidate Americans they suffer. It is a real shame that the group attempting to hurt Americans are Republicans. It is like a death-wish they will sorely regret!
Totalitarianism (or totalitarian rule) is a political system where the state, usually under the control of a single political organization, faction, or class domination, recognizes no limits to its authority and strives to regulate every aspect of public and private life wherever feasible.[2] Totalitarianism is generally characterised by the coincidence of authoritarianism (i.e., where ordinary citizens have no significant share in state decision-making) and ideology (i.e., a pervasive scheme of values promulgated by institutional means to direct the most significant aspects of public and private life)[3].
Totalitarian regimes or movements maintain themselves in political power by means of an official all-embracing ideology and propaganda disseminated through the state-controlled mass media, a single party that controls the state, personality cults, control over the economy, regulation and restriction of free discussion and criticism, the use of mass surveillance, and widespread use of state terrorism.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:27 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,398 times
Quote:
The reaction by America to what just happened in Washington DC is that President Obama is on the side of America. On the other hand, the Republicans have gone into orbit. The reaction to the violence and racism of the Republicans has been poorly received by Americans and the anger against Republicans in office could be disasterious. Today several "moderate" Republican senators [Grassley\ Collins\ Barrasso] backed away from their party claiming that there are actually a few positive things in the new health reform law. They are so afraid that the backlash against all Republicans in office could actually cost the GOP even more seats in Congress.

All along the conventional wisdom among Republicans is to demonize President Obama but they have failed to realize how popular Obama is to Americans. Given the choice America will chose President Obama over the crazy Republicans like Palin and company!
Huh?

Old 03-24-2010, 09:27 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,559 times
Quote:
Did you have something to say, by chance? or is that your KKK credo?
That was a bit too low Sur. You've been posting nothing but rhetoric ALL day. I'm no Republican, I'm a conservative Independent, but the Democrats are speeding this country on the fast track to hell.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
That was a bit too low Sur. You've been posting nothing but rhetoric ALL day. I'm no Republican, I'm a conservative Independent, but the Democrats are speeding this country on the fast track to hell.
Yeah, but if a person doesn't believe in Hell than Republicans lose all credibility. By lying and making preposterous statements, Republicans look like little kids and are in no way gaining any favor with Americans. This is truly a Republican crisis & I only hope the level-headed [if there are any left] in the GOP change course ASAP or a worst disaster than 2008 will occur in the next election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies