Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:35 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times

Advertisements

Is anyone able to link any statistics on the amount of Democrats receiving government assistance, and the amount of Republicans receiving government assistance?

I have heard the assertion on here so many times that "many" or "most" Dems (or libs...the terms are often used interchangeably for this purpose) don't work and are on assistance.

Apparently, the reverse is assumed to be true of Republicans: that "many" or "most" do work, and don't receive government assistance.

I would love to be able to link a post in reply to that maddening assertion (maddening because I don't know anyone in my "lib" sphere who sits around and doesn't work and scams the system).

Any help would be great. I'm not having much luck with Google, maybe because "government assistance" is so broad a term.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 02:45 PM

470 posts, read 461,972 times
Almost all welfare recipients are Democrats. At least they vote that way to get their handouts.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
When you rob Peter to pay Paul you can always depend upon the support of Paul. Figure it out, it isn't rocket science.

Maybe look at the party affiliations of the membership of the Black Congressional Congress. Look how they voted for Obamacare (hint 100% voted for it).

Old 03-25-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db1025 View Post
Almost all welfare recipients are Democrats. At least they vote that way to get their handouts.
Thanks for the answer...Again, do you have anything to actually back up that claim ("almost all")?

This post is a request for facts, not assumptions, so that in the future, I can link it with real numbers when people make these assertions. I would love to hear from anyone who has actual numbers/real facts on this issue.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
When you rob Peter to pay Paul you can always depend upon the support of Paul. Figure it out, it isn't rocket science.

Maybe look at the party affiliations of the membership of the Black Congressional Congress. Look how they voted for Obamacare (hint 100% voted for it).
The assertion is that "most Democrats don't work" or "most" or "the majority of" Welfare recipients are Democrats. Do you have anything that shows this directly? Any links, any stats at all?

Old 03-25-2010, 02:53 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Thanks for the answer...Again, do you have anything to actually back up that claim ("almost all")?

This post is a request for facts, not assumptions, so that in the future, I can link it with real numbers when people make these assertions. I would love to hear from anyone who has actual numbers/real facts on this issue.
I don't think there is any source for numbers like this. We don't ask people their political leanings when we distribute aid, and that would be the only way to actually build a database of this information.

In my neck of the woods, which is 90% Republican, I can safely say that the majority of people receiving assistance are Republican, but that's only because the majority of people who live where I do are Republican. But I don't look down on the people here who are receiving assistance. We've been through a bad economic recession, and a lot of people have needed help, and when times get better, these same people will be generously donating to charity. A lot of them that are out of work are volunteering with charities just to stay busy (and I'm told it's a good networking strategy, too.).

Old 03-25-2010, 03:03 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db1025 View Post
Seeing how the poor historically have the lowest voter turnout of any group (between 20-34% of their quartile), you are, shall we say, on shaky ground.

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
It might be interesting to look at the party identification percentages of lower income individuals on the Pew Research Center's longitudinal study's chart at the bottom of the page here:
Democrats Gain Edge in Party Identification - Pew Research Center for the People & the Press

Look at the party identification percentages by education level, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think there is any source for numbers like this. We don't ask people their political leanings when we distribute aid, and that would be the only way to actually build a database of this information.

In my neck of the woods, which is 90% Republican, I can safely say that the majority of people receiving assistance are Republican, but that's only because the majority of people who live where I do are Republican. But I don't look down on the people here who are receiving assistance. We've been through a bad economic recession, and a lot of people have needed help, and when times get better, these same people will be generously donating to charity. A lot of them that are out of work are volunteering with charities just to stay busy (and I'm told it's a good networking strategy, too.).
I can understand this viewpoint and I hold it, which is why I, as a liberal, work but don't resent some of my income going to programs. There but for the grace of God, and all that.

However, since the assertion is brought up here, over and over again, that libs "hate to work" or "don't work" or "are on Welfare," that assertion does warrant, in fact almost require, backup in order to be made with any confidence at all. So I'll wait for actual evidence of such. And in lieu of that evidence, I'll start linking this thread each time I read another sneering "Well, libs are lazy baby-makers who don't work" comment.

But I am still open to actual evidence from anyone on this subject. If it's out there I would like to read it.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Seeing how the poor historically have the lowest voter turnout of any group, you are, shall we say, on shaky ground.
You know, I was thinking this, too. Since when have Welfare recipients been the huge voting demographic anyway???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies