Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 04:26 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
It is the job of a representative to serve the will of the people by evaluating their best interest. That at times may mean they go against the majority will if that will violates the protections of the people.

This is why we are republic and not a pure democracy. If it were simply the will of the people, we would just vote on everything in that manner letting majority opinion dictate.

A free republic serves the Constitution first and foremost which is in the best interest of the people and the peoples will is served following this condition.

That is their duty and when the will of the people and the constitution conflict, the Constitution is placed above the people for it is that which allows us to be truly free.

So if I were rich and had lots of cash laying around it would be my best interest that I am mandated to have health insurance, and i receive a fine or jail if i don't have health insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 04:27 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatermelonRat View Post
If the Republicans want to act like spoiled children who didn't get what they want, then I agree with the President: let them. They know that even if they obtained the means to repeal it (unlikely) they wouldn't actually do so.
They arent acting like spoiled children who DEMAND everyting be given to them from government. They are acting like they have options and are willing to use their constitutional protected rights afforded to them by the law and the Constitution. They arent out rioting like Democrats have a history of doing..

Old 03-25-2010, 04:32 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
So if I were rich and had lots of cash laying around it would be my best interest that I am mandated to have health insurance, and i receive a fine or jail if i don't have health insurance?
Ahh, yes! It would be best for you economically, not because of any fine you may have to pay, but to preserve that lots of cash you worked so hard to obtain.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Ahh, yes! It would be best for you economically, not because of any fine you may have to pay, but to preserve that lots of cash you worked so hard to obtain.
From an individual who is self insured currently, you obviously have no clue how economics of someone can have a financial and beneficial interest in being self insured.

To give you an example.. One who is self insured protects "their cash" in a similar manner the insurance companies make money.. And if you think its from premiums.. YOUR WRONG..

Old 03-25-2010, 04:50 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
From an individual who is self insured currently, you obviously have no clue how economics of someone can have a financial and beneficial interest in being self insured.

To give you an example.. One who is self insured protects "their cash" in a similar manner the insurance companies make money.. And if you think its from premiums.. YOUR WRONG..
Actually, I would favor an option for those that can demonstrate the Capital backing, and that it be committed to provide for their own family's potential health risk, be exempt from the mandate. Insurance Companies are required to do so, there are quite a large number of individuals that could also do so. Those individuals would not potentially be a burden to other individuals, so why not exempt them. It is that potential burden, that the mandate is addressing.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:51 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Mocks Republican for acting is if bill is "Armageddon"
* Poll shows public support for healthcare growing (New with Obama speech)

UPDATE 2-Obama dares Republicans to seek healthcare repeal | Reuters

How is mocking republicans working with republicans and good for our nation. How is that going to bring this country together?

Does he not realize that majority of this country didnt want this bill.

I am so sick of leadership like this. Basically saying hahahaha nanner nanner boo boo.

Be a leader lead by example please I beg those in dc. Someone be the bigger person. Someone put the citizens all citizens before themselves.

Even if inside hes feels like he stuck it to the republicans be the bigger person and not gloat.

How do he think this makes republicans want to work with him
The POS POTUS is acting like a thug IMO.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Actually, I would favor an option for those that can demonstrate the Capital backing, and that it be committed to provide for their own family's potential health risk, be exempt from the mandate. Insurance Companies are required to do so, there are quite a large number of individuals that could also do so. Those individuals would not potentially be a burden to other individuals, so why not exempt them. It is that potential burden, that the mandate is addressing.
Now now now.. That makes no sense when one decides to dwell into your argument further. Isnt the whole point behind mandating insurance is that those who dont pay their hospital bills screw everyone else? I could have a credit score of 500 and obtained my money because I screwed everyone I ever entered into business with.. Does this now make me a good "exemption" to the policy?

Just become one has the ability to pay, doesnt mean they WILL pay. Some NOW have the ability to make payments or throw their doctors visits on a credit card, but yet the government mandates that insurance companies provide these as part of coverage.. You dont NOW support allowing individuals to pay out of pocket, but odd that you would change your stance when one starts to throw in other parameters...

Old 03-25-2010, 05:07 PM

412 posts, read 405,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
They arent acting like spoiled children who DEMAND everyting be given to them from government. They are acting like they have options and are willing to use their constitutional protected rights afforded to them by the law and the Constitution. They arent out rioting like Democrats have a history of doing..
You haven't been watching the news, have you? Surely FOX must have at least given a token mention.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:12 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
I too would mock any republican on this issue.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatermelonRat View Post
You haven't been watching the news, have you? Surely FOX must have at least given a token mention.
Are you telling me Republicans are rioting? WHERE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies