Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:02 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,295,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Actually legalizing it would cause a whole new slew of problems in society. Entitlement programs would be stretched to their limits, school performance would drop, and drug wars between the various cartels would be a troublesome reality.

I realize that the 'easy' thing to do would be to legalize it, however, this is not the responsible thing to do. Granted, we will never be able to stop illegal marijuana usage, however at least for now we are able discourage a good percentage from using it.
Do you have scientific evidence of your "assumptions"?

I bet you don't.

Marijuana, if legalized, would be regulated. This makes it harder to get it for school kids, just as its harder to obtain legal drugs like tobacco and alcohol. I'm sure you've seen a lot of teen movies that show its easy to obtain alcohol, but unless an adult is willing to help you obtain it, its next to impossible for you to get yourself.

So, lets just rule out "school performance". Not to mention the fact that Marijuanas effects wear off on the body after about 7 to 8 hours, much like alcohol. People who abuse Marijuana, are drug abusers anyway. They'll tend to be the idiots of society.

Somewhere on the order of 30% of Americans have, and still do smoke Marijuana. Please feel free to check the numbers, I've posted them numerous times on this post, and others. Thats doctors, lawyers, scientists, artists, and many others who function on a high level, and still use Marijuana.

Not to mention, that most of the countries of the world who have legal Marijuana are doing just fine. What makes you think we'll suddenly go down the rabbit hole if pot is legalized?

You can choose to remain ignorant about the effects of Marijuana on the body, and believe the government hype you've been feed for years, or look at the NUMEROUS SCIENTIFIC STUDIES that show it has very little in the way of ill effects on the body we were led to believe. And before you bring up cancer, there are lots of ways to use it, without smoking it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 11:04 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,016,432 times
Quote:
Actually legalizing it would cause a whole new slew of problems in society. Entitlement programs would be stretched to their limits,
Why?

Quote:
school performance would drop,
It would still be illegal for minors.

Right now marijuana is easier for kids to get than alcohol; drug dealers don't card.

Quote:
and drug wars between the various cartels would be a troublesome reality.
Oh man, you are really out of touch. Legalization would eliminate the black market demand that the violent drug cartels thrive on. The end of alcohol prohibition effectively destroyed the mafia, remember?

Quote:
I realize that the 'easy' thing to do would be to legalize it, however, this is not the responsible thing to do. Granted, we will never be able to stop illegal marijuana usage, however at least for now we are able discourage a good percentage from using it.
Then spend money on anti-drug information campaigns that don't ruin a person's life over a personal choice that doesn't affect you.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:32 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,621,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Please see my post on the California forum thread about this. I think of myself as liberal in many ways, but not this!

//www.city-data.com/forum/13488745-post35.html
I guess what you're trying to say is, you were totally wrong in the other thread, you might as well be totally wrong in this thread...?

Old 03-28-2010, 11:57 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,984,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Please see my post on the California forum thread about this. I think of myself as liberal in many ways, but not this!

//www.city-data.com/forum/13488745-post35.html
Sandy, I understand that legalizing it makes you uncomfortable, but you should know that medicinal marijuana is one of the most growing industries in California, especially in your area of the San Fernando Valley. It's created jobs, and has filled many empty offices with people that pay monthly rent.

Have you noticed a big change in the Valley since all of the dispensaries opened up? Are you less safe?

Old 03-28-2010, 03:42 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,494,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Why not legalize it? I am not planning on reading the rest of this thread I just want to hear your opinion on why CA. shouldn't legalize pot.
But they're not talking about making pot as legal as soda pop for kids. Most legalizers want it to remain illegal for people under 18 or 21 to buy.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:48 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,460,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I agree. Let them legalize pot so they will not be pestering us in medicine for "medical marijuana".

If they want to limit thier initiative and ability to think, it just makes a competetive world easier for my kids who are not pot smokers. Smoke away, pot heads! It is your life and you should be able to do what you want.

I am in favor of legalization of all drugs. It would select out the liberals and be a form of social Darwinism. Who knows- maybe they would be too stoned and high to vote anymore, or would simply forget to eat.
Yeah me, my work as a software engineer for companies and as an independent business, and my EE degree will remember that *smokes weed*

I'll also let some of my friends that went to MIT know, they were... considerably worse than I was regarding drug use.

Also you should probably tell Olympian Michael Phelps.

Are we really still blaming drugs for people being pieces of **** instead of blaming the individual?

Old 03-28-2010, 04:31 PM

858 posts, read 1,496,279 times
This is going to pass in California by a land slide... These are not hard facts but I can bet that probably 70% of the adult population in California smokes weed on a regular bases... EVERY WHERE I go in this state, people smoke weed. There are over 700 Cannabis clubs in LA alone. People who think this will not pass or think it's a bad idea, need a wake up call.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:29 PM

241 posts, read 266,506 times
This is great...many people on the left and right are tired of the war on (some) drugs. Hopefully (if this passes), this will make other states pass similar laws, and the feds will finally place it in a lower schedule so more research can be done on its medical benefits.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:32 PM

241 posts, read 266,506 times
Quote:
You obviously don't understand conservatives. What you are referring to is called a libertarian... fiscally conservative/socially liberal.

Conservatives are fiscally conservative/socially conservative. Conservatives do support laws. Conservatives support moral standards and legalizing marijuana is not something conservatives believe in.

Lastly, sacredgrooves is not a conservative if he believes in legalizing it. Legalizing marijuana is akin to legalizing abortion for most conservatives. sacredgrooves is at best a libertarian.
Actually, old school conservatives would support this as they support less government intervention in people's lives. It's the neocons who are against things like this..the religious "right" and the morality crusaders. They are very much into big government.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:56 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,295,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirriam View Post
Actually, old school conservatives would support this as they support less government intervention in people's lives. It's the neocons who are against things like this..the religious "right" and the morality crusaders. They are very much into big government.
Neocon indicates someone who favors diplomacy by force, not intervention into peoples daily lives.

The conservatives who go on a "morality crusade" are Reagan conservatives. They are fiscal conservatives, and support laws legislating morality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies