Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:37 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Obama could legalize marijuana within 24 hours simply by writing an executive order. He chose not to.. While I agree with legalization of marijuana simply based upon state rights, I disagree with you about compromise. There is no compromise in regards to violating the law. You either did, or didnt. If the next administration decided to retroactively go back and charge everyone with marijuana use who used it during the Obama presidency they could, (if of course they could prove ones actions).

The only solution to this is either legalize it on a federal level and then allow states to then determine if they wished it to be legal or not. This is where it belonged to begin with.
Sometimes you're playing a game in a broken system, and have to deal with it.

This is such a situation.

I mean let's say the right thing was done and states were allowed to decide how to handle the issue. Congressmen would be thrown out on their ass in the next election. Those of us that operate in political reality get that, and thus have no real choice if we want to get something accomplished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 09:40 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Obama could legalize marijuana within 24 hours simply by writing an executive order. He chose not to.. While I agree with legalization of marijuana simply based upon state rights, I disagree with you about compromise. There is no compromise in regards to violating the law. You either did, or didnt. If the next administration decided to retroactively go back and charge everyone with marijuana use who used it during the Obama presidency they could, (if of course they could prove ones actions).

The only solution to this is either legalize it on a federal level and then allow states to then determine if they wished it to be legal or not. This is where it belonged to begin with.
There is compromise in regards to carrying out who gets arrested and charged with breaking the law.

There is always compromise...you cannot arrest everyone who breaks every law.
Period.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:41 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I don't know whats worse, the fact that the state of california is even considering making this legal, or the absolute stupidity of the comments from people on the website.... Either way liberals have officially hijacked this country as far as I'm concerned.

Measure to legalize marijuana will be on California's November ballot - latimes.com
It's been on every ballot since the 1960s

Old 03-25-2010, 09:43 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,689 times
what is the difference between legalizing and decriminalizing? ive heard some arguments for 'decriminalizing' is it the same thing?

Old 03-25-2010, 09:45 PM

Decrim is lessening fines and no jail time.
Legalization is no fines.

Decriminalization efforts peaked in the 1970's...before the 'Just Say No' nonsense ol' Whatshername....
Spoiler

Scary huh?

Old 03-25-2010, 09:47 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
what is the difference between legalizing and decriminalizing? ive heard some arguments for 'decriminalizing' is it the same thing?
Decriminilization means that it's not exactly legal (like I can't sell it in bulk in a store) but it's not a law enforcement priority. So small amounts are fine and you won't be denied a job if you've used it in the past.

Legalization is treating it like it's alcohol.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:51 PM

No, that's not true.
You can be denied a job if you've used it in the past.

Even in so called 'decriminalized states'.
State By State Laws - NORML

Obviously it also depends on the job, no matter what the legality of marijuana in your jurisdiction, no one will tolerate a stoned police officer.
Sadly.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I would like to see it legalized. First on a state level then on a federal level. It's such a simple thing that would free up so much money and resources without having to do much of anything.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:21 AM

I thought that was the way it was supposed to work ...the 'Laboratory of the States' thing.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:24 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times
Anyone who thinks marijuana should still be illegal is a fool. We have so many non-violent drug offenders in our overcrowded prisons, it's an embarrassment. We waste so much time and money pursuing kids smoking weed, I don't see how anyone on the right or the left can get upset at this initiative, least of all the right-wingers who militate against the "nanny state".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies