U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:20 PM

3,288 posts, read 4,145,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
It's an especially entertaoining irony that a bunch of drugged-up pot heads may ultimately help return the United States to Constitutional adherence.
How is that ironic at all?

You really think people that twist the constitution to prevent gays from marrying at the federal level have any actual appreciation of the constitution?

Some groups use the constitution as a weapon to push their agenda, which is where the real travesty is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 09:00 PM

6,563 posts, read 16,241,961 times
Of course I don't feel any less safe, but that's not the issue. I'd rather alcohol be outlawed than marijuana legalized. I know that sounds insane and I realize it'll never happen, but it's no wonder our kids turn out so messed out when they're told, "This is legal - oh, but this isn't. You can do a little bit of drugs, like smoke a joint, but stay away from that crack pipe!" As I said before, where alcohol is concerned we're a nation of hypocrites. Do we really need to become hypocrites where marijuana is concerned, too?

I realize this initiative will probably pass. God knows that most of the people I grew up with were smoking it all the time in high school and would see nothing wrong. I'm definitely in the minority on this one. It does seem ironic to me that I live in a state that will probably vote to legalize marijuana, but God forbid we let gay people get married!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
Sandy, I understand that legalizing it makes you uncomfortable, but you should know that medicinal marijuana is one of the most growing industries in California, especially in your area of the San Fernando Valley. It's created jobs, and has filled many empty offices with people that pay monthly rent.

Have you noticed a big change in the Valley since all of the dispensaries opened up? Are you less safe?

Old 03-29-2010, 09:14 PM

704 posts, read 1,388,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I'd rather alcohol be outlawed than marijuana legalized.
So tell me Sandy, How did that prohibition on alcohol during the 1930's work? If I can recall correctly, didn't the mafia get rich and mad with power.

The sad truth is altering ones mind is part of human nature and there is no way to stop it.

Legalizing weed in California couldn't hurt. The people will still smoke regardless of legality and at least they will be paying taxes into the system and creating legitimate jobs.

Penalizing people for doing unhealthy things to themselves is absurd. Do you think we should throw people in jail for being obese and eating addicting fatty foods? Most likely not.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:00 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,513,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
WHAT!?!?! What do you mean Amsterdam is not the greatest city? Who are you to judge the quality of Amersterdam? Based on WHAT !?!?!

And please, provide links for your medical knowledge concerning testicular cancer.

And as you say, who are we to say whether nor not MJ is harmful to us unless there were more evidence?

Are you speaking from personal experience or personal ignorance?
It's not the greatest city. Make what you will of that statement. Who are you to judge my opinion? I could say that meat sucks. What are you going to do about it?

You can google the info. You have hands. I'm not going to mother you.

As for the bolded, are you speaking because you smoke pot and feel a tad bit defensive?

What my statement meant was that there are evidence showing that MJ is not harmful and evidence that it is. So what are you suppose to believe in?

Old 03-30-2010, 03:05 PM

22,850 posts, read 16,107,759 times
So what? There is evidence that aspirin is harmful, at least for some people. My doctor discourages it's use. Yet anybody can still buy aspirin.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:02 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,807,562 times
Quote:
It's an especially entertaoining irony that a bunch of drugged-up pot heads may ultimately help return the United States to Constitutional adherence.
Here, here to this!

Since marijuana went mainstream in America a very long time ago, IMO.....there's no doubt whatsoever, there are plenty of current and former pot heads to cover the entire political spectrum at this point.

It is true that there are likely, millions in America today, who grow and sell weed to supplement whatever other income they may, or may not have.
I could see how this could actually be a hinderance to PRO-legalization efforts in some areas!

Besides that, there is plenty of EASY money readily available to ANY individual who chooses to go corrupt or those who are already criminal and would love to get their hands on a large crop/harvest....or the associated cash.
How MUCH corruption is there?
A LOT, I believe.

SECURITY.....will always be a big issue as long as their is soooo much money to be made with it....so this would definitely need to be fully addressed to ANY stores that may ever be able to legally sell it.

ALSO......the sheer number of Americans who smoke pot and could easily qualify for a number of jobs that just might be available....but don't bother to apply because of the pre-employment drug test that may "get in the way" and ALWAYS tests for marijuana and detects it the longest.....of any other ILLEGAL substance, as far as I know.

The laws would NEED to change for this and that.......

Laws regarding the "Zero Tolerance" policies that came out of the Reagan-era and so demonized weed further by lumping it in with all the REALLY dangerous/addictive stuff, (Crack epidemic, etc.) all the while, airing plenty of beer commercials glamorizing drinking.......with little emphasis truly given to the devastating consequences/effects of alcohol abuse.....was just WRONG and new legislation would need to be enacted to legitimize marijuana use COMPLETELY for all its qualities as a recreational, social lubricant.....and the valued medicine it truly is to those who already know!

Although, employers could still have the right to fire anyone using it on the job and/or if safety shuld be compromised. These policies/rights SHOULD be left to the employer and personal responsibility, respected.
Just don't PREVENT someone who is highly qualified for a job.....from having that job......SOLELY because there is pot in their system.

Common sense......and yes, I personally believe that somehow, marijuana COULD be the ONE thing that could seriously UNITE MANY, if given a real chance.

But, I'm still dreaming........and still a right-of-center, mostly, Ind-Conservative, toker.

Let FREEDOM ring!

Live FREE.....or what

Old 04-03-2010, 04:03 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,213,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Not everyone who wants it legal smokes it. I've never smoked it, neither has my 19 year old son although that could change in the future. My daughter has but doesn't anymore on any kind of regular basis because she is health conscious and worries about her weight. We all want it legal.
Funny, I used to smoke and it actually led to weight loss for me. MJ for some folks leads to munchies etc, but for other folks (probably of a different biological composition) makes them more hyper. I ate less when I smoked. I worked out more. It made me hyper. I used to smoke and go lift weights. There's still a lot to learn about how mj affects different individuals.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:27 PM

1,719 posts, read 3,882,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Conservatives are fiscally conservative/socially conservative.
Haha...more like fiscally liberal/socially conservative

Old 04-03-2010, 04:35 PM

1,719 posts, read 3,882,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
drug wars between the various cartels would be a troublesome reality.
Oh like you mean is going on in Mexico right now because of prohibition?

Legalization causes availability to increase. This causes prices to drop. This means that it is no longer financially viable for the trade to be undertaken by criminal organizations. Legitimate companies will move into the market. This means that regulation goes up and violence will go down.

Do you ever hear of anybody getting killed in a beer deal gone bad?

Old 04-14-2010, 11:51 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,109,691 times
Default Good luck to the Feds on trying to enforce Federal Law in CA

Quote:
Only where the Federal law is constitutional... which the Federal ban on MJ is not.

Sorta like the states banning any govt from forcing people to buy HealthCare insurance. Since Obamacare is unconstitutional, states can ban it.
If California legalizes cannabis it will create a conflict with federal law, but the federal agencies like the DEA would have a hard time enforcing the law through out California without local help, they just don't have the resources to do it. It remains to be seen if local law enforcement would assist the DEA if the state law was in conflict. For those of you who have never lived in the West, you should know that people in the Western states have a much different view of the federal government than people living in states closer to Washington, DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies