U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:15 PM

3,960 posts, read 10,056,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
What, I thought the right was against taxes???? Gasp, two conservatives contradicting themselves on the same post, oh my!!!
I am not a fan at all of additional taxes, but basically anything sold is taxed so it is just a given. With as much money as we have wasted prosecuting it, we might as well make some of it back. It would also greatly diminish the amount coming over the border as we have plenty of favorable conditions to grow it in the USA. I am a social moderate/realist, but fiscal conservative. My main problem with the taxes will be that they fund new programs with it instead of paying down debt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 09:16 PM

3,022 posts, read 3,114,558 times
How is locking up harmless citizens a moral standpoint worth defending?
Isn't it moral to fight for freedom and justice?

Is it moral to look the other way while lives are ruined because of some ancient law that never made sense to begin with?

I disagree that the (failed) War on (some) Drugs has the moral right-of-way here....

Old 03-25-2010, 09:17 PM

14,089 posts, read 25,331,449 times
I remember hearing a story that the federal government put a stop to pot by saying to have it on you, you had to have a certain stamp. They put a stop to it by not ever producing the stamp. I'm all for legalizing industrial grade hemp and for reducing the drug grade for pot. While alcohol causes far more deaths, I'd be worried that legalizing it would cause a drastic increase in it's use and thus cause more car wrecks from people driving while high. Perhaps decrimalize the ownership of pot, tax the sale of pot at licensed dealer shops (sort of like how a bar owner has to have a license). You could grow your own for personal use but if you start to sell your product then you have to pay taxes on the sale. Sort of like a micro-brewery. With cigarette smoking being banned in so many places, the number of cigarette smoking will go down and so will the tax revenue from cigarettes. If it drops enough, expect to see more politicians open to making pot legal so they can tax the excriment out of it.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:20 PM

69,360 posts, read 58,820,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
It depends on whether the executive branch choses to pursue it.

New Medical Marijuana Policy: Obama Administration Will Not Seek Arrests For People Following State Laws

That's with regards to medical marijuana. I'm not sure how they will treat it when legalized, but I'm sure a majority of the state will be pissed if something passed in a proposition is attacked by the federal government.
I'm well aware that the executive branch has chosen not to pursue it, but that doesnt change the law. The next executive branch could choose to pursue it and thereby it remains to be illegal until the law changes.

if Obama feels that strongly that it should be legal, then he should have a bill written, not just ignore the law..

Old 03-25-2010, 09:23 PM

3,288 posts, read 4,151,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm well aware that the executive branch has chosen not to pursue it, but that doesnt change the law. The next executive branch could choose to pursue it and thereby it remains to be illegal until the law changes.

if Obama feels that strongly that it should be legal, then he should have a bill written, not just ignore the law..
Politics is about compromise (something this board seems to forget). I'm comfortable with steps being taken incrementally in order to legalize it and push that forward.

Nah, there is no need for Obama to do anything until more states adopt measures to legalize, at that point it would make sense to push something federally. Like if a couple more states legalize medical marijuana, I can see there being a push at the federal level.

States rights, baby.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:24 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,148,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I am not a fan at all of additional taxes, but basically anything sold is taxed so it is just a given. With as much money as we have wasted prosecuting it, we might as well make some of it back. It would also greatly diminish the amount coming over the border as we have plenty of favorable conditions to grow it in the USA. I am a social moderate/realist, but fiscal conservative. My main problem with the taxes will be that they fund new programs with it instead of paying down debt.
Well I too am a fiscal conservative/social moderate and have to say that the issue of marijuana is a tough one... You're damned if you do legalize it and damned if you don't for the reason you've mentioned.

All i can say is that the TYPE of people that smoke pot are usually the ones I seldom hang out around. I can't recall one person who made good with their life and smoked pot... Most of them graduated high school and ended up sticking around my hometown in dead end jobs.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:24 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,663,036 times
I'm fairly conservative about most things. And I say legalize it and tax the hell out of it.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:29 PM

3,022 posts, read 3,114,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Well I too am a fiscal conservative/social moderate and have to say that the issue of marijuana is a tough one... You're damned if you do legalize it and damned if you don't for the reason you've mentioned.

All i can say is that the TYPE of people that smoke pot are usually the ones I seldom hang out around. I can't recall one person who made good with their life and smoked pot... Most of them graduated high school and ended up sticking around my hometown in dead end jobs.
This type of argument is used often.
Doesn't carry much weight once you remember the list of people who've smoked pot and done wonders with their lives.
Including the President of the United States.

All these people.
And more...

Also, the fact that it's currently illegal may be skewing the stats...such as they are in your post...

It's illegal therefore only risk takers experiment...risk takers, on average, do not succeed...etc.

Just sayin'.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:33 PM

3,288 posts, read 4,151,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post

Sounds like they were just losers, with or without the pot.

I mean if I was stuck in my hometown working in a gas station I'd use it as an excuse too.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:35 PM

69,360 posts, read 58,820,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Politics is about compromise (something this board seems to forget). I'm comfortable with steps being taken incrementally in order to legalize it and push that forward.

Nah, there is no need for Obama to do anything until more states adopt measures to legalize, at that point it would make sense to push something federally. Like if a couple more states legalize medical marijuana, I can see there being a push at the federal level.

States rights, baby.
Obama could legalize marijuana within 24 hours simply by writing an executive order. He chose not to.. While I agree with legalization of marijuana simply based upon state rights, I disagree with you about compromise. There is no compromise in regards to violating the law. You either did, or didnt. If the next administration decided to retroactively go back and charge everyone with marijuana use who used it during the Obama presidency they could, (if of course they could prove ones actions).

The only solution to this is either legalize it on a federal level and then allow states to then determine if they wished it to be legal or not. This is where it belonged to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies