U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:26 AM

3,023 posts, read 3,105,972 times

Advertisements

I tend to agree...but calling someone a 'fool' probably won't win much support.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 12:40 AM

26,684 posts, read 26,374,278 times
Turning people into criminals for their personal drug habits or addictions is the real crime. I want to see that come to an end. As adults in a free society, I think we should be able to legally do whatever we want with our own bodies.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:43 AM

(Cue Slippery Slope!..in 3...2..)

Old 03-26-2010, 12:44 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,303,495 times
they should legalize it because you know if you are the type of person who is gonna use it or not, and they can make regulations on it like you can't operate motor vehicles ect.....and if you are worried about a drug user committing violent well if they assault someone then it's the same law for assault as we have now and we don't even need to worry about if they have used the drug or not because assault is assault...legalizing weed would stop a lot of crime

Old 03-26-2010, 01:20 AM

17,444 posts, read 25,588,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Obama could legalize marijuana within 24 hours simply by writing an executive order. He chose not to.. While I agree with legalization of marijuana simply based upon state rights, I disagree with you about compromise. There is no compromise in regards to violating the law. You either did, or didnt. If the next administration decided to retroactively go back and charge everyone with marijuana use who used it during the Obama presidency they could, (if of course they could prove ones actions).

The only solution to this is either legalize it on a federal level and then allow states to then determine if they wished it to be legal or not. This is where it belonged to begin with.
You realize that the end of alcohol prohibition began with states taking action on their own and then the feds jumped on the bandwagon.

Alcohol prohibition was not ended solely because FDR came along and decided to end it himself. There was a grass roots movement including many sectors of society of all political ideologies that favored ending it, and the first steps to end it came from the states.

Additionally, the state of the US economy in 1933 had a great deal to do with the end of alcohol prohibition, and given that things aren't that much better now than they were in 1933 (in fact, the US economy right now is comparable to the Depression year of 1931, even if not as horrible as '33) the time for marijuana legalization is right.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:32 AM

971 posts, read 1,186,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Obama could legalize marijuana within 24 hours simply by writing an executive order. He chose not to..
No he couldn't. Obama (nor any president) doesn't have the power to unilaterally override legislative acts of congress (in this case the Controlled Substance Act).

Old 03-26-2010, 02:19 AM

23,442 posts, read 29,462,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Turning people into criminals for their personal drug habits or addictions is the real crime. I want to see that come to an end. As adults in a free society, I think we should be able to legally do whatever we want with our own bodies.
There is a simple solution... if they don't use that junk, they won't be criminals.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:22 AM

"Wish it away! I wish it all away!!!"

Unfortunately (?) the desire to alter one's consciousness is totally natural and even has evolutionary benefits.
I guess you could just make nature illegal but then you'd run into a whole bunch of other problems wouldn't you?

EDIT:
Not that that has stopped lawmakers in the past but...

Old 03-26-2010, 03:30 AM

24,874 posts, read 22,324,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I don't know whats worse, the fact that the state of california is even considering making this legal, or the absolute stupidity of the comments from people on the website.... Either way liberals have officially hijacked this country as far as I'm concerned.

Measure to legalize marijuana will be on California's November ballot - latimes.com
Why is legalization of Marijuana stupid?

Over 30% of the population smokes pot, at least on a quarterly basis in this country.

Marijuana use USA

Thats numbers higher than those who drank when Prohibition of alcohol was lifted in the 30's. You spend mega dollars on policing Marijuana, loss of tax revenue from its sell, money leaving the country to foreign "unfriendlys" due to its sell, the cost of locking up those who are non violent drug dealers, etc.

Did you know that out of all of the Marijuana thats grown, imported, and sold in our country, and all of the money spent on the enforcement of those stupid policies, we only catch 5% of the crop?

You're paying several billion dollars, to destroy 5% OF THE CROP.

Talk about a waste of money. Its a harmless drug, every major drug study out shows that Marijuana isn't addictive, its not nearly as harmful on your body as alcohol. Even less if ingested through the means of cannabutter, or vaporization. Yet Alcohol is widely accepted. Of course Marijuana is widely accepted as well, recent polls show 60 to 70% of Americans favor legalization.

So you keep up the good fight there sparky. We all saw how well Prohibition worked in the 20's and 30's. Another problem with keeping it illegal, is it invites the criminal element to continue to make GOBS of money, while selling to anyone they want. Many dealers don't care if they sell it to 10 year old kids.

At least with legalization, its regulated, much like tobacco and alcohol. Of course some teens and people will abuse it, but hey, thats democracy. In a free society, idiots will be idiots, regardless of whats good for them.

The responsible user, smokes a little on the weekend, while relaxing with friends in a hot tub. Not unlike someone drinking a beer in the hot tub with friends.

Come on, give me the pre conceived myths of Marijuana you have, I'll provide you with scientific studies that disprove every myth you know, that the government, which you probably hate, has told you over the last 70 years.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:31 AM

24,874 posts, read 22,324,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
There is a simple solution... if they don't use that junk, they won't be criminals.
Same thing was said about those who drank beer in the 20's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies