U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:59 AM

15,896 posts, read 10,779,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Why is legalization of Marijuana stupid?

Over 30% of the population smokes pot, at least on a quarterly basis in this country.

Marijuana use USA

Thats numbers higher than those who drank when Prohibition of alcohol was lifted in the 30's. You spend mega dollars on policing Marijuana, loss of tax revenue from its sell, money leaving the country to foreign "unfriendlys" due to its sell, the cost of locking up those who are non violent drug dealers, etc.

Did you know that out of all of the Marijuana thats grown, imported, and sold in our country, and all of the money spent on the enforcement of those stupid policies, we only catch 5% of the crop?

You're paying several billion dollars, to destroy 5% OF THE CROP.

Talk about a waste of money. Its a harmless drug, every major drug study out shows that Marijuana isn't addictive, its not nearly as harmful on your body as alcohol. Even less if ingested through the means of cannabutter, or vaporization. Yet Alcohol is widely accepted. Of course Marijuana is widely accepted as well, recent polls show 60 to 70% of Americans favor legalization.

So you keep up the good fight there sparky. We all saw how well Prohibition worked in the 20's and 30's. Another problem with keeping it illegal, is it invites the criminal element to continue to make GOBS of money, while selling to anyone they want. Many dealers don't care if they sell it to 10 year old kids.

At least with legalization, its regulated, much like tobacco and alcohol. Of course some teens and people will abuse it, but hey, thats democracy. In a free society, idiots will be idiots, regardless of whats good for them.

The responsible user, smokes a little on the weekend, while relaxing with friends in a hot tub. Not unlike someone drinking a beer in the hot tub with friends.

Come on, give me the pre conceived myths of Marijuana you have, I'll provide you with scientific studies that disprove every myth you know, that the government, which you probably hate, has told you over the last 70 years.
Yeah really! It's been long overdue! Legalize it and you take the criminal element out of it. Regulate it just like alcohol! 21 and over... penalties for driving under the influence, ect... IMO people that smoke weed don't tend to get as nutty as when they drink. I worked in bars as a DJ for years, and I can provide a ton of stories on how stupid drunk people act when they get that "liquid courage." I drink, and I don't trust drunk people! I know it's funny, but a lot of people are very unpredictable when they drink. I'm usually pretty laid back myself, but then again I know my boundaries. I don't see people when they smoke pot get that false courage! In fact, usually all they want to do is kick back and chill! So, what is so wrong with that? And I don't buy into the fact that if pot is legalized that people will be driving around stoned all the time!

I hope California passes it, and several other states including Ohio follow suit!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 09:57 AM

4,142 posts, read 9,605,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
You obviously don't understand conservatives. What you are referring to is called a libertarian... fiscally conservative/socially liberal.

Conservatives are fiscally conservative/socially conservative. Conservatives do support laws. Conservatives support moral standards and legalizing marijuana is not something conservatives believe in.

Lastly, sacredgrooves is not a conservative if he believes in legalizing it. Legalizing marijuana is akin to legalizing abortion for most conservatives. sacredgrooves is at best a libertarian.
Did you really compare smoking weed to abortion??

Its smoking a plant. big deal who cares. Legalize it already

Old 03-26-2010, 11:38 AM

1,234 posts, read 1,121,300 times
Anyone who still thinks that Marijuana is a Narcotic is an Ignorant Moron.

If you do not know what you are talking about then you probably should go and learn or just shut up.

Legalize it already and move on.

Abort Booze, Tobacco, and the Republiklan Tea Party.

Dems are much more fun and know how to have a better party anyways.

Maybe they could call themselves the THC Party.

Last edited by oldtimer2; 03-26-2010 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-26-2010, 11:41 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,577,009 times
Quote:
I don't know whats worse, the fact that the state of california is even considering making this legal, or the absolute stupidity of the comments from people on the website.... Either way liberals have officially hijacked this country as far as I'm concerned.

Measure to legalize marijuana will be on California's November ballot - latimes.com
Back in the great depression they made it leagal to sell Booz again. Booz does way more damage to people than pot does. So this is just a recognition that we are having a depression.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:41 AM

22,524 posts, read 15,979,446 times
Quote:
I don't know whats worse, the fact that the state of california is even considering making this legal, or the absolute stupidity of the comments from people on the website.... Either way liberals have officially hijacked this country as far as I'm concerned.

Measure to legalize marijuana will be on California's November ballot - latimes.com
Are you frightened you won't be able to resist smoking legal marijuana once it becomes legalized?

Old 03-26-2010, 11:43 AM

3,023 posts, read 3,093,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Did you really compare smoking weed to abortion??

Its smoking a plant. big deal who cares. Legalize it already
Plus, abortion is legal (Thank God! No more wire hangers!)... so his
argument breaks down even further into incoherence.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:52 AM

22,524 posts, read 15,979,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Anyone who thinks marijuana should still be illegal is a fool. We have so many non-violent drug offenders in our overcrowded prisons, it's an embarrassment. We waste so much time and money pursuing kids smoking weed, I don't see how anyone on the right or the left can get upset at this initiative, least of all the right-wingers who militate against the "nanny state".
As a reflection of how you say it is, right now there is a convicted triple murderer in the county jail here who beated a fellow prisoner. The murderer is still waiting for space at a state prison to start serving life.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:57 AM

If they cop their Pot and then find that they do not like it they can send it to me. I will dispose of it for them.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:

I assume that you probably know and understand the effects of Marijuana? If so, you probably broke a law or two at some time in your life. If not, maybe you actually do not know what in the Hell you are talking about.

Thought you conservatives were all about government Not intruding into peoples lives. Or does that only apply when you choose and to your own limited understanding of the proper role of government and peoples freedom?

Get a grip.... or go and get a joint!

P.S. THC helps relieve pressure on the eyes of people with Glaucoma and helps in keeping them from losing even more vision.

Go TeaHC Party Go!

Old 03-26-2010, 12:19 PM

860 posts, read 1,881,740 times
Funny how conservatives speak of their commitment to personal freedom but then will call for the government to limit what adults can do on their own or what consenting adults can do with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies