Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:50 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Like he said!... you should start small, at the local level, where your voice carries more weight.
Join a NORML chapter in your state. Network with other states. The goal is to overturn State and Federal Statues
Marijuana Law Reform - NORML
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 12:09 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
They've been working on it for Decades:
Marijuana Law Reform - NORML
You can join a local chapter in your State

There are more politicians that have smoked a joint than you realize - probably anyone of them over age 45

Oh I don't doubt that for a second! LOL! You would think that the ones that have would be pushing for legalization as well!

Old 03-26-2010, 12:17 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
i dont think it will pass.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:18 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,137 times
why?

Old 03-26-2010, 12:39 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
why?
Hopefully the supporters of a measure to legalize marijuana will not do nothing and sit on their rear ends assuming it will pass like the opponents of Prop 8 did nothing and assumed it would be defeated.

The One's probably talking about the possibility of the pro-pot legalization forces running an inept campaign and thus allowing their opponents to win.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:44 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Sometimes you're playing a game in a broken system, and have to deal with it.

This is such a situation.

I mean let's say the right thing was done and states were allowed to decide how to handle the issue. Congressmen would be thrown out on their ass in the next election. Those of us that operate in political reality get that, and thus have no real choice if we want to get something accomplished.
Agreed. I for one think that marijuana, along with MANY items including gay marriages for example fall within state jurisdiction and should be decided on a state by state basis. This also goes for healthcare. Either the federal government has jurisidiction to oversee everything in our life, or they dont..
Quote:
There is compromise in regards to carrying out who gets arrested and charged with breaking the law.

There is always compromise...you cannot arrest everyone who breaks every law.
Period.
True, but if you completely stop enforcing the law, how is this fair to those sitting in jail because they were convicted of a crime no longer being enforced? No one has gotten out of jail because its STILL illegal. If its right for individuals to use marijuana now, then indeed those sitting in jail for doing so should be let go would you not agree?

By Obama just now stating they will no longer enforce the law, this does not allow those in jail to be released where if one legalizes it, they can indeed be allowed to go home. You cant retroactively charge an individual with a crime, but indeed when you legalize an illegal act, those in jail for that crime can go home..

Old 03-26-2010, 12:53 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
True, but if you completely stop enforcing the law, how is this fair to those sitting in jail because they were convicted of a crime no longer being enforced? No one has gotten out of jail because its STILL illegal. If its right for individuals to use marijuana now, then indeed those sitting in jail for doing so should be let go would you not agree? By Obama just now stating they will no longer enforce the law, this does not allow those in jail to not pay the punishment that those doing similar acts take part in..
I think we're in agreement here.

The issue is that, unless it's pushed at the state level the federal government isn't going to adopt it. I can't think of any recent social changes that weren't pushed at the state level to some degree first before they were adopted at the federal level. I'm optimistic that if enough states adopt it, then the federal government will end up adopting it and people sent to prison for it will be released. That might take a couple decades, but change is slow

I mean you're stating how things should be, and that's great, but it's just not how things are. I don't really feel like joining any causes that will fundamentally change the system at the federal level since I've resolved to the fact that it's basically never going to happen.

The executive branch not enforcing the law is at least one step in the right direction, even if it is dependent on the administration. I think most of us agree that this is better than absolutely nothing. I mean I'm not going to fight for it at the federal level yet because I know that it's way outside the bounds of what's actually possible.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:55 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
I agree that those in jail for marijuana alone should go home. Every punishment over marijuana should be reversed. We need to uphold personal civil rights and liberties like a free country should!

Old 03-26-2010, 12:56 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I don't know whats worse, the fact that the state of california is even considering making this legal, or the absolute stupidity of the comments from people on the website.... Either way liberals have officially hijacked this country as far as I'm concerned.

Measure to legalize marijuana will be on California's November ballot - latimes.com
they need money good idea

Old 03-26-2010, 01:08 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Even if California makes marijuana legal it still wont be legal. Federal law overrules state law..
If the law passes in California, which it most likely will, there will be no inforcement, so the Feds ca go pound sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies