Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 12:11 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
2. Is there ANY PROBLEM that the US faces currently, which was not caused by George Bush?
Yes. Most of the economic problems we're coping with are rooted in Reagan's deregulation of everything and massive deficit spending for purposes of financing tax cuts for the rich.

Reagan, icon of the Right, was possibly the worst president since Hoover, though he was unquestionably a well-intentioned and likable fellow. Everyone who met him loved him. Even Ansel Adams, after meeting with Reagan to air his grievances about Reagan's decimation of environmental protection, walked out of the meeting glowing about what a great guy Ronnie was.

But he was a horrible president. It's not Bush's fault that the financial meltdown occurred. It was Reagan-era policies that were left unchanged by the negligence of Bush I, Clinton, and Bush II.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 12:21 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Lets be honest with ourselves here. Barack Obama campaigned on the "your taxes will not be raised one dime" theme. Are the VAT supporters of the opinion that Barack Obama made that promise out of a true understanding of national economics? Afterall, the amount of our current debt, coupled with no new taxes to pay for it, means more debt unless we experience the Mother of All Economic Upturns.

Are liberal VAT supporters prepared to say that Barack Obama is an inept President since he obviously has no idea how the tax/spend/debt/deficit system works? No new taxes on the middle class is what he said, right?

Old 03-29-2010, 12:37 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Watch America turn into Italy with a vibrant underground economy.
Already has. Craigs list is just the start.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:40 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Already has. Craigs list is just the start.
yup. The government cannot stop it, because it will cost them more to enforce the tax than it will accrue in tax receipts.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:52 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
A small VAT of 2% or so would be fine with me so long as it could not be raised without a 3/5ths vote in both the Senate and the House.
You just labeled one reason why the CA legislature can't pass a budget.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:59 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
If people want european style subsidies, handouts, freebies, and entitlements, then they better be in favor of european style taxes to pay for them as well.

I can hear it now "But, but, Obama promised my taxes wouldn't go up one cent!"

ETA: Those VAT's over in europe hover around 20%. Germany's is 20%.

Last edited by AuDiBelle; 03-29-2010 at 01:16 PM..

Old 03-29-2010, 07:34 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Lets be honest with ourselves here. Barack Obama campaigned on the "your taxes will not be raised one dime" theme. Are the VAT supporters of the opinion that Barack Obama made that promise out of a true understanding of national economics? Afterall, the amount of our current debt, coupled with no new taxes to pay for it, means more debt unless we experience the Mother of All Economic Upturns.

Are liberal VAT supporters prepared to say that Barack Obama is an inept President since he obviously has no idea how the tax/spend/debt/deficit system works? No new taxes on the middle class is what he said, right?
The promises that Obama made were for his first term- and he has kept his tax promise. But in his 2nd term, it is becoming obvious that new revenue will be needed.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
If people want european style subsidies, handouts, freebies, and entitlements, then they better be in favor of european style taxes to pay for them as well.

I can hear it now "But, but, Obama promised my taxes wouldn't go up one cent!"

ETA: Those VAT's over in europe hover around 20%. Germany's is 20%.
Many of the programs we have such as health care, Social Security, mass transit, schools, colleges, roads, highways, parks and other things benefit the country greatly. They are worth paying for. The Republicans certainly do not mind wasting massive amounts on trillion dollar farm handouts, unnecessary wars and unwanted military hardware.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:11 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,250 times
as I'm sure I'm the only person in this forum who's lived in Europe for a substantial period of time.
A VAT is not a bad thing at all. You really wouldn't notice it. It's only a few percentage points higher than some of our sales taxes, and I don't think we need to make ours 20%, I mean 2-5% would be more sufficient.

It would have to be compounded with the state sales taxes, so states could decided how to go about it.

One thing to look at is taxing online sales...it's some 10% of all retail sales, and they are all tax free. Untapped 100s of billions of dollars.

But I think a reasonable VAT with lower state sales taxes and a sensible income tax, could go a long way. Believe it or not, this goes for Dems and Reps, we spent and spend without regard for the budget, now we will need to pay for it and all future endeavors.

I say lets overhaul our tax code, to increase revenue to pay for things vital to a functional society. We will all benefit and the defict would decrease.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
as I'm sure I'm the only person in this forum who's lived in Europe for a substantial period of time.
A VAT is not a bad thing at all. You really wouldn't notice it. It's only a few percentage points higher than some of our sales taxes, and I don't think we need to make ours 20%, I mean 2-5% would be more sufficient.

It would have to be compounded with the state sales taxes, so states could decided how to go about it.

One thing to look at is taxing online sales...it's some 10% of all retail sales, and they are all tax free. Untapped 100s of billions of dollars.

But I think a reasonable VAT with lower state sales taxes and a sensible income tax, could go a long way. Believe it or not, this goes for Dems and Reps, we spent and spend without regard for the budget, now we will need to pay for it and all future endeavors.

I say lets overhaul our tax code, to increase revenue to pay for things vital to a functional society. We will all benefit and the defict would decrease.
I think they'll just vote in a VAT on top of the system we currently have.
It would take too many years to rework the current tax structure and they need revenue coming in NOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies