Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How likely is secession in 2012 if Obama is elected?
highly likely 12 8.63%
possible 23 16.55%
unlikely 40 28.78%
impossible 64 46.04%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:02 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
No way in hell this man will get re-elected so I'm not even concerned about secession.
I hope you're right. My generation has been brainwashed by the progressive movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 07:22 PM

32 posts, read 23,891 times
I'm willing to guess that 90%+ of the people in the US would never want secession.

The extremists (both on the left and especially on the right) are just a very loud group. Most Americans are sane, IMO.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:26 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
There are only a couple states that are even viable on their own...most would fail miserably.
You bring up a good point.

To the brave secessionists sitting behind a keyboard and basically not doing anything substantial: I think my state would be okay that way. Yes, folks, the land of fruits & nuts has a huge amount of resources. In fact, we ship much of it off to many of you. Well...until the secession.

Good luck with all that and don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya, folks! All I can do is giggle when I hear the secession threats. Is this kind of like the south rising again? If so, there's obviously going to be a long wait so I'm not holding my breath for it. Besides the amazing amount of logistical issues with such a move (and this leaving aside that it's only a few backwoods loonies that seem to want this in any given state; the state itself tends to disagree, which would make things rather harder, I'd think).

Old 03-26-2010, 07:26 PM

32 posts, read 23,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
No way in hell this man will get re-elected so I'm not even concerned about secession.
You're delusional.

I'm sure many older folks remember people dismissing Bill Clinton (after his catastrophic first year and his huge health care loss), Ronald Regan (polled terribly), GWB (no comment) as one term presidents.

What happened? LOL.

Obama will be with us until 2016!

Old 03-26-2010, 07:37 PM

18,355 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
So ...

Back in the day of the Civil War, the war was fought over self-governance of the states, taxation, and slavery. That and we were a very young nation with not 100 years under our belt, so we were trying to decide what to do with ourselves. Big deal and deciding times. If the North had lost, it would have meant we'd probably would be separated into the Northern and Southern States of America.

Today, it's impossible. The military and the President have the authority to put down armed resistance. I think you'd also have a very hard time finding any states where 2/3 of the population wants secession peacefully (I think that's the legal limit to declare secession and then propose it to the government). There's also way too much infrastructure and our economy so mature and interconnected that any one state that does try to go it alone would basically go bankrupt (except maybe California, Texas, and New York) due to lack of diverse economies.

All this talk of secession in case Obama wins again is just stupid. Look at all the cities of the South. Their profiles are pretty clear, they wouldn't support secession in the least. At most you'd have some outback yokels who would support it, and even then they wouldn't seriously want to because of farming subsidies. Without those, their crops would be so expensive they couldn't compete against imported foods from Mexico or S. America, even Asia; and conversely couldn't compete globally.
I don't believe the military would side with Obama if he ordered them to fire on fellow Americans. For the obvious reason, and for the fact O is very unpopular with the military overall.

European states are as well connected as our states, so it doesn't mean independence is impossible.

I suspect some Northern states would secede first if it ever happened (MT, ID, WY, perhaps, maybe AK).

The urban areas would starve without the rural areas where there'd be more support for secession, but the rural areas would do fine without the urban areas. This isn't 1860, the anti-secession states would not have an industrial advantage.

But O won't be re-elected anyways.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:38 PM

18,355 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR10 View Post
You're delusional.

I'm sure many older folks remember people dismissing Bill Clinton (after his catastrophic first year and his huge health care loss), Ronald Regan (polled terribly), GWB (no comment) as one term presidents.

What happened? LOL.

But the dems lost Congress under clinton. O is comparable to Carter IMHO.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:39 PM

61 posts, read 128,465 times
There is a danger that if the USA goes into an economic melt down , which is very possible with our unending deficit spending , the nation could fragment . Remember the collapse of the Soviet Union not to long ago . Who would have thought that would have happened . Our country is going through an ideological civil war already . Through out history nations that are ideologically divided do fragment .

Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Because most don't have the resources to 'make it'. There are a handful of states that could stand alone and be counted as a full-fledged country of their own.
heck even my county could let alone my state. we have farms,farmers markets.large ranches that sell meat locally.gas oil coal timber water. maybe we'll just keep it for ourselves

Old 03-26-2010, 07:48 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR10 View Post
You're delusional.

What happened? LOL.

Nope, not delusional at all. Who is the motivated voting block right now? The people who are angry as hell with Obama's agenda. Your guys are complacent and won't even show up to the polls. Just look at what happened in NJ, VA and MA. You all sat home. Thanks for that. And that's just the beginning.

Keep pissing people off Obama, it only bodes well for us on election day.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:48 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
heck even my county could let alone my state. we have farms,farmers markets.large ranches that sell meat locally.gas oil coal timber water. maybe we'll just keep it for ourselves
Go for it and may God be with you. (waving) (Disclaimer: Obviously I'm being facetious and not encouraging secession...it's just that for all the crowing about this, it never actually gets done...presumably because even in the most backward of communities, sanity overrules insanity on this issue.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies