Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:24 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
The government is forcing insurance companies to insure people who are higher risks. The government can deny rate increases that they deem not justified. Once the insurance companies start losing money and the government denies rate increases, what happens?
Then the government becomes the insuring entity. We have only managed to incease the cost of our insurance and expand the broken system in place, temporarily. I might ask people who are comfortable with this overhaul, since when in your lifetime have you ever seen the government reduce costs for people? They are always behind the 8 ball with the deficit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 11:28 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
The government is forcing insurance companies to insure people who are higher risks. The government can deny rate increases that they deem not justified. Once the insurance companies start losing money and the government denies rate increases, what happens?
Can't have it both ways.

Either everyone is covered and you don't deny people at a hospital or you can't get care unless you can afford it. Otherwise you're putting the cost burden on those of us that pay insurance, and that blows.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:30 AM

151 posts, read 138,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Since you seem to know, can you tell us?
I'm tired. I don't feel like being baited to argumentation today

Old 03-26-2010, 11:47 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I keep hearing about this government takeover of the health care system. Yet from what I can tell, I am still going to buy into a private health care plan and see my private doctor under this new law. The main change is that people without insurance will now be required to buy it - from a private company. That sounds more like a private company/forced capitalism "takeover" to me. There is no single-payer. No government-run clinics. No government-run option even. I just don't get the argument. Someone enlighten me.

Could someone tell me exactly how or what the government has taken over here?

No! People without insurance will be required to buy insurance or pay a fine ($83/mo) instead of maintaining insurance ($500+/mo). Then they can literally sign up for insurance at the ER or in the ambulance on their way to the hospital. As they are leaving the hospital, they can simply cancel their plan until they need it again and go back to paying the non-compliance fine. There will be no private insurance companies.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:51 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
No! People without insurance will be required to buy insurance or pay a fine ($83/mo) instead of maintaining insurance ($500+/mo). Then they can literally sign up for insurance at the ER or in the ambulance on their way to the hospital. As they are leaving the hospital, they can simply cancel their plan until they need it again and go back to paying the non-compliance fine. There will be no private insurance companies.
Hmmm...doubting this. In an ambulance you really aren't in a position to do a business transaction.

Besides, the fine will get bigger of course, making insurance more attractive. Pay "x" for nothing or pay "y" and be covered. When "x" and "y" aren't that far apart I know where the smart money will go. Ultimately the tax(fine) WILL BE the cost of coverage. Sneaky.

To you this sounds fun, a huge money maker. But you aren't really "gaming" anything, you are just risking a lot.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:52 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

You know this..............how?

Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, and all the other right-wing loonies are not credible sources.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:55 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No they cannot. That was a deal Obama made with the insurers..the government will not cap their rates.
Page 31 or HR 3692:
Quote:
17 SEC. 104. SUNSHINE ON PRICE GOUGING BY HEALTH IN18
SURANCE ISSUERS.
19 The Secretary of Health and Human Services, in con20
junction with States, shall establish a process for the an21
nual review of increases in premiums for health insurance
22 coverage. Such process shall require health insurance
23 issuers to submit a justification for any premium increases
24 prior to implementation of the increase.
What if the Secretary of H&HS don't think the rate is justified? I don't trust the government. They will do everything they can to keep the power they have and lie, cheat and steal to get more power.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:56 AM

151 posts, read 138,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, and all the other right-wing loonies are not credible sources.
I would agree if you had some other people who are not loonies to add to your list to be fair. if not, then I'll assume you are of the Al Sharpton crowd.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:56 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
U H C = Obama gets what he REALLLLY wanted IMO.
Exactly. They couldn't get it outright so they are taking a slower approach.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:58 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Although the HC Bill is very far from perfect in my eyes, I'm very glad the bill was passed. Personally, I would have preferred UHC but what I like is the fact that our leaders in Washington came down on the side of compassion for it's citizens rather than the dollar. Most the whining from the right about the bill has to do with cost and responsibility. I for one will always be for the side of compassion over cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies