Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 02:01 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Not all jobs entail purely physical labour. There are many positions that are "mentally" and require much training and experience to do a good job. Hence your "value" may be predicated on ones education and actual experience.
Almost all jobs have a value that can be exactly calculated. The only jobs I can think of that cant be calculated readily are office support jobs. This is also mostly why office support jobs are notoriously underpaid, because its impossible to value their work with a price tag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 02:02 PM

326 posts, read 429,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Sure if outcomes are what you are looking for, definitely the way to go. The tricky part comes when you are not important to the outcomes. Or when the outcomes of whomever is in power, is detrimental to you. Or when the outcome you would like to strive for is irrelevent to those making the rules. Those people seeking outcomes are the ones who fill mass graves. I say leave the outcomes to dictators and megalomaniacs.

Let everyone else have freedom.

Live and let live.
What does that mean?

Old 04-08-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren77 View Post
Well this is what is going on though. You have businesses that essentially have negative value. We call them financial markets.
Actually, financial markets do have value. Stock traders, investment bankers, blah blah, they are buying and selling goods. I agree, they arent producing anything, but then again, what is the Walton family producing? What is Bill Gates producing any more? What did your landlord produce?

All these people are just making money off of owning, buying, selling, and manipulating capital ownership positions.

I would move to eliminate every single one of these things. I do not believe that anyone should be able to live from money they did not personally generate by their own work. Owning and manipulating capital is not an acceptable "profession" in my book.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:07 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seren77 View Post
What does that mean?
The highlighted part? Like any preferential law. It is meant to do something "good" at the expense of everyone else that does not benefit. Those that are harmed by doing "good" mean nothing.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:13 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Almost all jobs have a value that can be exactly calculated. The only jobs I can think of that cant be calculated readily are office support jobs. This is also mostly why office support jobs are notoriously underpaid, because its impossible to value their work with a price tag.
There are many jobs where calculating "value" can be difficult - how much "value" does a Lawyer have? A Doctor? A hairdresser and so on

Yesterday I saw a Handcrafted 12 Gauge Shotgun - hand tooled - hand engraved - from Italy. A really pretty rifle. Price on the piece was over $20,000.00. If it sells for that price - then that rifle has a value

What will the marketplace bear for certain jobs; "burger flippers" - their "Value" is small - and even if they stay flipping burgers - their "value" is not going to increase.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:17 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
All these people are just making money off of owning, buying, selling, and manipulating capital ownership positions.

I would move to eliminate every single one of these things. I do not believe that anyone should be able to live from money they did not personally generate by their own work. Owning and manipulating capital is not an acceptable "profession" in my book.
I buy and sell real estate. I will borrow money to do so (leverage).

Say I purchase a parcel for 100K, and pay for the parcel from a 100K loan. I turn around and sell it for 150K - I make a 50K profit.

You are saying that you would eliminate this type of profession (investor)?

Old 04-08-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
There are many jobs where calculating "value" can be difficult - how much "value" does a Lawyer have? A Doctor? A hairdresser and so on
They all sell their services. If there is a sales price on a service or good, it has labor value. Period. If a hair dresser sells a hair cut for $20, and her cost per hair cut for the building, supplies, etc, is $8, then $12 is her labor value.

Office support jobs though, they are not directly involved in producing a good. Their contribution is similiar to a copier or a computer, in that, its simply a tool to help labor directly involved in doing a job, do their job better.

Quote:
What will the marketplace bear for certain jobs; "burger flippers" - their "Value" is small - and even if they stay flipping burgers - their "value" is not going to increase.
The value of a burger flipper is the total sale price of every single burger they flip minus the non labor cost of the burger. The "profit" the owner of the restaurant makes, is completely derived from paying the burger flipper LESS then his labor value as a wage.

The value of a burger flipper CAN increase, when the prices for the food increase, or the non labor costs go down.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I buy and sell real estate. I will borrow money to do so (leverage).

Say I purchase a parcel for 100K, and pay for the parcel from a 100K loan. I turn around and sell it for 150K - I make a 50K profit.

You are saying that you would eliminate this type of profession (investor)?

Yep, bingo. I dont believe in loans, interest, or the buying and selling, or ownership, of capital assets. I do not believe that owning, buying, selling, or loaning, or any other financial manipulation of capital assets provides anything at all to society.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:26 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Ok, I should have further went on to define what "type" of insourcing. Insourcing as, bringing in H1-bs to the US when we have plenty of engineers here already.
OK, I misunderstood that. In that case i would count that under "immigration" and included it in my answer below.

[QOUTE]
A free market with immigration laws......so, you are advocating restricting businesses from accessing the lowest cost capital, and you feel thats "free market"?
[/quote]

Yes, it is a free market. You are just defining the SIZE and SCOPE of the market. A business that only considers hiring people locally is still operating as a free market. Many people think of free market only in terms of a GLOBAL free market. That is not the only type. In some cases tarrifs, embargos, immigration quotas, and other forces that limit the size of the market have legitimate function.

[QOUTE]
Getting bailed out doesnt, but immigration laws, nor minimum wage laws are part of free market either.[/quote]

Immigrations laws do, as I think I addressed above. Minimum wage laws do not and I am strongly against them. Minimum wage laws are inflationary and lead to a greater unemployment among the unskilled-- the very people they proport to help.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:28 PM

491 posts, read 748,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
We do need unskilled jobs but they will never, ever pay what most consider "a living wage". People who work those jobs need to buddy up or live with family or something if they expect to STAY in those jobs for the long run. They will not have independent living with all their needs met. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that because there are plenty of people who don't NEED "a living wage" but do want/need some money and work experience. Jobs are like stepping stones.
They can pay a living wage though. So what happens to people who work these jobs and do not have family or friends to help them? They end up homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies