Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 04:48 PM

769 posts, read 887,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Go back to post #1 and re-read...add dependent and healthcare.

Where do you get utilities for $50 per month ?

I left them out on purpose. Both in my opinion, are obtained through decisions you make it life. If you want to have a family, you should plan accordingly while you are in high school so you can make enough to support them as well. Healthcare, see above.

If your strapped for cash, you can easily find an apartment for $600/month(region specific, not coastal areas) where they cover most of your utilities and your contribution doesn't need to exceed $50. In my apartment, my highest utility bill yet has been $36/mo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 04:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
I left them out of purpose. Both in my opinion, are obtained through decisions you make it life. If you want to have a family, you should plan accordingly while you are in high school so you can make enough to support them as well. Healthcare, see above.

If your strapped for cash, you can easily find an apartment for $600/month(region specific, not coastal areas) where they cover most of your utilities and your contribution doesn't need to exceed $50. In my apartment, my highest utility bill yet has been $36/mo.
Well then you are not going by the OP's scenario. What would you estimate taking into consideration the OP's scenario by adding a dependent.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:58 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Ok now what if everyone goes to that series of classes. Suddenly those can be paid less because of a surplus of workers, and just because a person gets additional training, doesn't mean a job is waiting for them on the other side. Arguably, something you just implied. Get the skill and you're more marketable.......not if everyone else gets that skill.
Sad fact of life. The law of "supply and demand". If there is no shortage of people to fill a job, only those best qualified will be hired. And that may also keep the wages lower for that job.

If a job is in demand, but few people have the skills for it, that job will pay more, and whoever applys will probably be hired (unless they are not qualified).

Why is this such a troubling question for you? This is common sense.
Quote:
You still didn't answer what is so extremist about a liveable wage for all. Besides maybe some people have better things to do with their time (family, hobbies etc.) than pursue advancement in the hope it will lead to covering cost of living expenses.
Livable wage for all? Not everyone has enough intlligence or skill to be paid a "livable wage" (however you define it). No employer should be forced to pay more than a job is worth, just because of ones need. They simply will not hire you. Fact of life.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:03 PM

769 posts, read 887,485 times
Quote:
Well then you are not going by the OP's scenario. What would you estimate taking into consideration the OP's scenario by adding a dependent.

This is where the OP scenario becomes all matter of opinion as many have pointed out. I wouldn't want to have myself and a dependent on anything less than 60k a year, but that is me and my tastes are expensive. I might add, I have worked hard so I can have said tastes.

I think having a dependent and having a minimum wage job should be mutually exclusive. One or the other.

In order to keep your dependent alive, as well as yourself, you would probably want to make around 25k annually.

Again, I would give a child up for adoption if I made this much and found myself in a child rearing situation, simply for the fact that I feel like I would not be able to provide well enough for him/her making minimum wage.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
A worker is not being paid for the skill involved. I worker is being paid based on the supply of workers willing and capable of doing a job. If a job requires lots a skill, but there are lots of people with those skills it will be low (or lower) paid.
Basically true, and I said the same thing. Skills are important; but, if workers in that skill are a dime a dozen, wages will be low regardless the skill required.

A flooded market results in lower prices, whether it is "human resources" or a product.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
This term "living wage" is an amusing little term. I know people have already asked what number some folks consider to be a living wage. What I want to know is exactly what life style characteristics define "living" for people who use this term. Is it meeting the necessities of life while they move up the ladder? If that is what is meant, then there is nothing extremeist about it at all. OR, is it to the 52" wide screen, new For F150 for him and new Nissan Sentra for her, new furniture, Cancun vacation, internet, cable/satellite TV, cell phones for everyone, no less than 2000 sq ft "Living wage".

The reason I ask is I have seen the blubbering, sobbing idiots on TV interviews telling their sad story about healthcare and living wages and all that, meanwhile in the background you see the big TV and all the other stuff that I mentioned. Hmmm, seems like staying out of debt and living a little more frugally could have bought some health care.

If that is the "living wage" that the OP asked about, then yeah...those people can go to hell for all I care. Not on my dime baby. I worked to dang hard to get where I am to just give it to some dolt who can't manage his own finances and then wants me to subsidize him. Get off your butts and do what is necessary to live the middle or upper middle class lifestyle of their dreams. I grow weary of those who want that lifestyle, but don't want to do what it takes to get there on their own.
The fact is, that not all jobs are going to pay a "living wage" no matter what your definition! They will pay what the job is worth, and that is all they should pay.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:42 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,707,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
That is simply not how living wage is calculated.
Yes there is a difference between livable wage and what is needed to fix the economy. The comment was made that $20/hr is what would be needed to have a livable wage for a person with multiple dependents. I said that that would also be high enough to tend to fix some other things as well.

That was the start of the convesation.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:44 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,707,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
You're not HappyTexan who came up with the random 20$ an hour living wage in the first place wasn't it?

And the discussion is not how do you fix the entire economy with living wage ordinances.

living wages are currently not federal, nor do i think they ever will be so this is kinda pointless.

it is a much more local issue than anything else.

it was/is why is living wage considered so "extremist".
You did quote me tho. and minimum wage is federal.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:43 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,947,765 times
Quote:
Someone seriously tell me.

I get the vibe from posters on here that a liveable wage will drive down motivation. I'm not talking about paying low skill jobs like fast food, hotel services etc. 100K per year. I'm just saying they should be paid enough for 40 hours of their time to cover room board and healthcare for themselves and a dependent.

If they want more than a tiny place to live or nice vacations or a car thats not a piece of crap, they can work harder for more. Most people probably will. But so many jobs don't even pay a liveable wage in the first place, and its not like they're more enjoyable than higher up jobs or you don't go home less tired.

Just think if this was done, you could cut back on welfare (for people stuck on minimum wage) you could eliminate the healthcare bill, less big government etc.

Anyone care to give a rational explanation aside from a liberal stereotype for me and a freeloader stereotype for anyone on minimum wage?
Have you ever created wealth for someone else? A business plan?

High costs are obstructional.

Last edited by mossomo; 03-30-2010 at 11:56 PM..

Old 03-31-2010, 12:33 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,625 times
Quote:
I would venture $40K since the OP talks about a dependent.
That would equate to about $20/hour..for something as simple as flipping burgers.
You ever work a fast food (burger flipping) joint. I worked such places as a teenager into my early twenties. Flipping that burger is only one part of it. As with any business, these workers deal with a lot more than what is seen on the surface. While it's not worth 20/hr., it sure as hell is worth more than "minimum wage". (7.15/hr. here) Two people with a child working fast food jobs at 10.15/hr. = 20.30/hr combined. Livable. Even if it were a one parent home, it wouldn't be as difficult as 7.15/hr.
7.15/hr is a kick in the face for strategically handling the stress of fast food work. You have to be personable 100% of the time. Not easy. Just like many people on CD... they come in to test your patience. With one major difference... they don't have to see or serve you.

7.15/hr says "too bad you're "beneath" all those you serve".
10.15/hr says "aren't you glad you're an American who doesn't have to struggle".

Difference between "minimum" and "livable" is no more than some people needing to "feel" superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies