Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: R u a pro-gun,a non/anti-gun but non-prohibitionist ,or a non/anti-gun prohibitionist..?
Pro-gun 19 73.08%
Non/anti-gun , but non-prohibitionist... 6 23.08%
Non/anti-gun & prohibitionist... 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 12:24 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times

Advertisements

BTW,NRA has an " our way or the highway " attitude,that's why it stalled at 4m membership...

The real anti-gun laws are the prohibitionist ones...

The no-carry law & the "no-gun " zones...

Restrictions & regulations,even if their spirit is anti-gun,should be accepted by pro-gun people...

Let's put some water into our wines,so as to have "shall-carry" & no "no-gun" zones i all 50 states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 05:44 PM

241 posts, read 267,424 times
I'm not pro or anti. I am pro-2nd amendment rights. As for guns themselves, I am neutral. I don't have one, but I might one day, who knows?

Old 03-28-2010, 05:57 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,871 times
Gun Control supporters are in great company (too bad I can't add Barry Hussein O to this list)...

http://janeqrepublican.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/gun_control_works2.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-28-2010, 06:07 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
Gun Control supporters are in great company (too bad I can't add Barry Hussein O to this list)...
Don't forget most of the lawmen in the west either. Wyatt Earp, and many others outlawed the carrying of firearms within city limits. The understanding was, you don't need a gun, if the police are there to protect you.

Now, I don't support federal limitations on gun ownership, except in the cases of psychos. I also favor taking away the right of gun ownership of those who are to stupid to own guns. By stupid, I mean being careless with their guns. I think everyone should have to take a safety course before buying a gun.

I do support local initiatives to control guns. Meaning, if your city, such as Chicago, outlaws guns within their limits, its their right to do so.

After all, the city isn't saying you can't own a gun, they are just saying you can't have it within city limits. Thats the only gun laws that our now President Obama has supported. He also supports removing stupid crap from guns, that make them look and function as a military grade assault rifle.

No one is saying you can't own a AK47, just can't buy a happy switch, and bayonet additions to it.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:14 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I do support local initiatives to control guns. Meaning, if your city, such as Chicago, outlaws guns within their limits, its their right to do so.
No, it's not their right to infringe on anyone's rights.

Quote:
After all, the city isn't saying you can't own a gun, they are just saying you can't have it within city limits.
Double think?

Quote:
Thats the only gun laws that our now President Obama has supported. He also supports removing stupid crap from guns, that make them look and function as a military grade assault rifle. No one is saying you can't own a AK47, just can't buy a happy switch, and bayonet additions to it.
The ban O wants would ban the most popular firearms these days. In the past he's supported total semi-auto bans, total handgun bans, banning concealed carry nationally...he's no friend to the second amendment.

Why in the world do you care what someone's gun looks like?

Why so worried about bayonets?

No crime was committed with a legally owned full auto firearm from 1934 until 1986, when the ban on new ones was snuck in with a late night, unrecorded voice vote by dems angry over the FOPA. I fail to understand why the paranoia over them. Some people have seen too much hollywood.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
BTW,NRA has an " our way or the highway " attitude,that's why it stalled at 4m membership...

The real anti-gun laws are the prohibitionist ones...

The no-carry law & the "no-gun " zones...

Restrictions & regulations,even if their spirit is anti-gun,should be accepted by pro-gun people...

Let's put some water into our wines,so as to have "shall-carry" & no "no-gun" zones i all 50 states
Actually we've been wildly successful, rapidly gaining concealed carry, loosening rules, etc. in many areas. Today, in most of this country, it's possible to carry a gun, few states restrict any type of firearm, we entirely turned around the gun control movement of the 1990's to where it's gone on the defensive whereas it seemed in the 90's many bans would be passed. Compromise with the anti-gun lobby will only cause losses of freedom. When you have an enemy on the run, you always give chase to defeat them.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:17 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
An interesting thread,to separate the various groups according to their attitude towards guns...
I am especially concerned about clarifying two major groups...

Those who are non or anti-gun because...that's the way they like,but also are liberal/libertarians & against prohibition of guns. They may just want common sense regulations/restrictions...

And the other group,consisted by non & antis ,who are prohibitionists,their true desire is to ban as many guns as much as they can...

Their ideal is a unarmed society,as in Canada & the Continent.

So,let's hear the various arguments,within the TOS...
WTF? I can't understand your question. We own alot of guns in our family and think that EVERYONE (except convicted felons) should be able to own guns. It is your Constitutional right and one should exercise it.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:36 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
No, it's not their right to infringe on anyone's rights.

Double think?

The ban O wants would ban the most popular firearms these days. In the past he's supported total semi-auto bans, total handgun bans, banning concealed carry nationally...he's no friend to the second amendment.

Why in the world do you care what someone's gun looks like?

Why so worried about bayonets?

No crime was committed with a legally owned full auto firearm from 1934 until 1986, when the ban on new ones was snuck in with a late night, unrecorded voice vote by dems angry over the FOPA. I fail to understand why the paranoia over them. Some people have seen too much hollywood.
If bayonets aren't important, why worry about their being banned? You can defend your home just as easily with the gun, than the bayonet.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the city having the right to ban the firearms in their limits. Many people in lots of older times did it, and its no different today. Cities have the right to prohibit anything they want, they can even prevent the sale of firearms within their limits.

I'm a small government type. If I live in a place where the laws don't suit me, I try and change them, or move somewhere that does agree with my views.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If bayonets aren't important, why worry about their being banned? You can defend your home just as easily with the gun, than the bayonet.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the city having the right to ban the firearms in their limits. Many people in lots of older times did it, and its no different today. Cities have the right to prohibit anything they want, they can even prevent the sale of firearms within their limits.

I'm a small government type. If I live in a place where the laws don't suit me, I try and change them, or move somewhere that does agree with my views.
Bayonets are useful if a gun jams or runs out of ammo, or at close range self-defense. The government has no right to tell anyone not to have one.

The first gun control originated in the South after the war to keep Blacks defenseless. Those western towns usually didn't enforce gun bans against locals, unless they had an axe to grind.

But in any case, we're a Republic, not a democracy, and no one has the right to ifnringe on certain rights regardless of local popular opinion.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:43 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times
As for the right of a city to ban guns within its limits,then why doesn't it have the "right " to ban...negroes,or homosexuals,or congreggations...

No city should be able to ban anything that is statewide or federally legal...

Only on a state level some things ( like marijuana) or services ( like prostitution ) may be banned...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies