Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 11:38 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I would say, on average, giving both a sampling group of smokers and non smokers the same standardized tests that smokers would likely score lower (as a previous poster has already pointed out) and I think the reasons for this are simple: smokers during school were largely spending more time away from their studies and classmates while smoking and they also likely participated less in extra curricular events, like sports, which further meant they were less motivated to study, and perhaps move on to college someday. "Intelligence" in school does not always translate into intelligence in real life, so again, its one definition of "intelligence". I know straight A students who could not change a flat tire.

But for testing, factor this in over decades and I think that in many respects smokers are going to score lower on aptitude tests versus their non smoking counterparts of the same age range.
I disagree. I was a good student and prob more book smart than "street smart." Many of my peers were the same. You are thinking of the stoner crowd.

Btw the definition of intelligence is the ability to learn, not knowledge itself. People excel at different things and there are varying kinds of intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I think they may be high in intelligence but low in self control.
Obama for instance, seems to want what he wants when he wants it and will do whatever he has to to get it.
Just my opinion.
to both

Old 01-14-2012, 11:46 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times
They are not so dumb when they try to calculate the cost of one pack in a carton.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its a free country, and I've known lots of smart people who are smokers.

I know my grandfather smoked for years, he started, and ran his own successful business. My mother is a college graduate, and a LPN, and she smokes.

Smoking isn't linked to mental retardation, its just something some people enjoy. If they aren't hurting you, and they aren't, leave them alone.

All this BS about second hand smoke and third hand smoke is stupid. You inhale more harmful gases in your car on the drive to work, than you do with second hand smoke.
You are absolutely wrong to imply that second hand smoke is safe to breathe. Let me ask you, do you allow your children to be around people who smoke?

I don't question the intelligence of smokers but I do question anyone who allows their child(ren) to be around people smoking.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:30 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
You have to be pretty dumb to pay good money for something which is:

- known to cause cancer
- known to be bad for your health in other ways
- is highly addictive
- makes your clothes stink
- is generally unpleasant for others

Old 01-15-2012, 12:45 AM

To those who say "live and let live," I agree with that sentiment but when it's my tax dollars going to support those who start falling ill due to smoking, I sort of take issue. Obviously, not ALL smokers will need medical attention and nowhere near ALL of them will be on gov't assistance, but a fair number of them are/will be and that sort of p*sses me off. For example, my MIL is now "disabled" due to have emphysema from smoking for the past like 40 years. She will soon be on Medicare (early) due to this. Before she qualified for SSDI, she was on SSI which gave her Medicaid and food stamps. Quite literally, the taxpayer is footing the bill for the effects of her smoking habit. Btw, she still smokes!!!!

Old 01-15-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Here's my own bizarre pet peeve: I can spend hours in a smoky bar or in my own apartment, but if I'm walking down the sidewalk & someone walking in front of me is smoking, it drives me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!
I was always the same way. The second hand smoke really bothered me. Even smoking in the car with the air or heat on, it was horrible to have it blowing off the cigarette and into my face.

I feel bad that I subjected people to 1) the smoke itself and 2) the stench of EVERYTHING I owned. EVERYTHING.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:02 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
To those who say "live and let live," I agree with that sentiment but when it's my tax dollars going to support those who start falling ill due to smoking, I sort of take issue. Obviously, not ALL smokers will need medical attention and nowhere near ALL of them will be on gov't assistance, but a fair number of them are/will be and that sort of p*sses me off. For example, my MIL is now "disabled" due to have emphysema from smoking for the past like 40 years. She will soon be on Medicare (early) due to this. Before she qualified for SSDI, she was on SSI which gave her Medicaid and food stamps. Quite literally, the taxpayer is footing the bill for the effects of her smoking habit. Btw, she still smokes!!!!
Wouldn't you say the same about people with diet related illnesses to like heart disease? Lifestyle diseases are the number one killer and account for most of the money we spend on ill people.

I agree though. I wanna see my tax dollars spent on getting people to live RIGHT, so we won't end up where we are now.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:11 AM

742 posts, read 678,519 times
Smokers can be smart or not. But it really isn't a healthy thing to do.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:55 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,682 times
Regardless of whether or not smokers are smarter or not, smokers are less likely to get Alzheimer's Disease through dying a few years earlier on average and through nicotine's protective effect on the brain. So while all these anti-smokers want to play the superiority card, I can point out that I'll be more likely to be in control over my mental facilities (albeit with an electronic voice box and minus a lung) while they will be wetting themselves and making sexual advances towards household objects in front of their sobbing relatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies