Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:44 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Ohio from PA and it took 4 days to find a doctor that was taking new patients. They didnt care what type of payment we were using. I finally talked a guy into squeezing my kids into his schedule because they were really sick. Its probably why so many go to the emergency room..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 11:45 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Yes, fun times ahead. I hear the care in Mexico is pretty good these days.
I've been to a medical facility in Mexico. Gf got sick on one of our 30 day trips there. They arent as bad as one would expect, you just need to pay in advance for treatment.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:52 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
It must not be too bad. I know more than one person who has had surgery down there.

Actually was meant kind of tongue in cheek. I also have heard people going there for medical and dental care, and being satisfied. Meds sold OTC and cheaper as well.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:57 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not only that, nurses and others will be permitted to perform more of what was traditionally limited to licensed physicians.
Others? What types of procedures do you foresee nurses and others being permitted to perform? I am curious, how many of you folks who have posted in this thread already have insurance?

Old 03-28-2010, 12:03 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Others? What types of procedures do you foresee nurses and others being permitted to perform? I am curious, how many of you folks who have posted in this thread already have insurance?
Sutures, prescribing some antibiotics, advising on weight loss, maybe prescribing pills for high cholesterol, insulin. Routine test interpretation with scripted prescriptions or medication adjustments. More midwives in hospitals to do child birth, more routine pediatric and geriatric care that used to be with doctors.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:05 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Obama and the Congress creatures already have theirs...
I already have mine too. Always have...for over 50 years. Do you have something specific to say about that?

Old 03-28-2010, 12:10 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
So wait. You're saying that when a state, like Massachusetts, or the national government, implements a system that provides medical coverage to a higher percentage of the population, all of a sudden more people are going out to get medical care?

I thought you guys were saying there was no problem with access to health care because anyone who needed any kind of care could always go to the ER to get it.

Is it possible that all those claims you made weren't true?

Old 03-28-2010, 12:15 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
On paper it should just be a switch from emergency room treatment to office treatments.
In reality it might mean some Dr's stop accepting new patients, but that happens now as well. There have always been areas where there aren't enough medical professionals to go around, and very little choice at all. The bill won't change that.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:15 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
It must not be too bad. I know more than one person who has had surgery down there.
Guess I had better shell out for a passport.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
So wait. You're saying that when a state, like Massachusetts, or the national government, implements a system that provides medical coverage to a higher percentage of the population, all of a sudden more people are going out to get medical care?

I thought you guys were saying there was no problem with access to health care because anyone who needed any kind of care could always go to the ER to get it.

Is it possible that all those claims you made weren't true?
It depends. People on Medicaid with no co-pays and deductibles will sit around in medical offices all day because it costs them nothing.

Working people who have copays, insurance plans they chose with higher deductibles for lower premiums and who have to take time off work will of course limit the amount of medical care.

Those people who always go to the ER of course could also have gone to a doctor's office and paid cash but didn't want to pay anything -- they don't want to pay $50 or $100 to see a doctor for early treatment when they could wait and have a free ER visit - paid for by others of course.

Not many doctors refuse cash paying patients, so those people were never denied for not having insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies