Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:30 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts101 View Post
Do some people in the US look down on a guy who marries a woman from another country?
Yes, of course some do! No matter WHO you marry, somebody will "look down" on you!
She is 10 years younger than you? you're a cradle robber!
She is older than you? you're looking for a mother.
She is taller than you? you're looking for domination.
she is shorter than you? you're looking for somebody to dominate.
She is wealthy? you're looking for money.
She is poor, and you are wealthy? she is a gold-digger
etc.

I see no reason to be concerned about some total strangers response to who you marry! If that is such an overriding concern, I recommend you remain single!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 10:32 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
what is foreign????????

unless you are native american, we all have foreign traits

my family (the italian and spanish) side has been here since 1640,, the austrian side, since 1890, add in a mix of native and black and you have me. but I will always be a New Yorker (at least my attitude)

Old 03-29-2010, 10:44 AM

74 posts, read 294,517 times
This is mostly what I have noticed from the hick types that have never left their area.

I just wanted to see different views from people, that all.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:03 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
In Los Angeles (where I live) there are many Western European women who specifically move here to become au pairs in order to meet/interact with/date men who are in the entertainment industry (or other lucrative industries) It is actually a career suggestion for young women looking to meet wealthy men.

Example: Elin Nordegren and Tiger Woods....she was a nanny on the PGA
If people tend to be superficial, other superficial people will gravitate towards them. Not every au pair is making a beeline for the honeycomb, and LA isn't the rest of the US. People marrying for position, wealth, etc., is nothing new, and American women do it too. The US is a drop in the bucket on the human time-line. We aren't a special case and we aren't the only country where that sort of thing goes on. In some places, people don't have any input on who they marry. At least we are afforded the right to make our own decisions, even if they may turn out to be mistakes and even if others form preconceptions about us due to our choices.

No offense, we usually agree on most things, but I sense something fairly deep-seated with you in regard to this issue, and I have a feeling that no matter what I say, you are going to counter it with more assertions of evidence to the contrary. We were nearly all immigrants once. If not for an American prairie woman marrying my great-grandfather, who was from Norway, I wouldn't be alive. People looked down on them too.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:27 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts101 View Post
I am talking about a European woman.
Well, if the fella is some gross, toothless, and overweight slob and the women is some slender babe from Russia met over the Internet or from an ad in some magazine, I dare say the matrimony is going to inspire some snickers and wisecracks. And eventually some pity.

Other than that, I think the question inane, stupid, and ultimately nobody's F****** business.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:40 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
If people tend to be superficial, other superficial people will gravitate towards them. Not every au pair is making a beeline for the honeycomb, and LA isn't the rest of the US. People marrying for position, wealth, etc., is nothing new, and American women do it too. The US is a drop in the bucket on the human time-line. We aren't a special case and we aren't the only country where that sort of thing goes on. In some places, people don't have any input on who they marry. At least we are afforded the right to make our own decisions, even if they may turn out to be mistakes and even if others form preconceptions about us due to our choices.

No offense, we usually agree on most things, but I sense something fairly deep-seated with you in regard to this issue, and I have a feeling that no matter what I say, you are going to counter it with more assertions of evidence to the contrary. We were nearly all immigrants once. If not for an American prairie woman marrying my great-grandfather, who was from Norway, I wouldn't be alive. People looked down on them too.

Sorry but nothing deep seated in my take on this topic just general personal observations and a family situation where a woman from the Phillipines married then used a relative very badly to get her family to this country, sent tons of money back to her country and burned through a lot of hard earned savings. I simply think that some American men believe that by marrying foreign women they are getting problem-free fembots.

However, in the big picture, I really could care less who marries whom.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:31 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Sorry but nothing deep seated in my take on this topic just general personal observations and a family situation where a woman from the Phillipines married then used a relative very badly to get her family to this country, sent tons of money back to her country and burned through a lot of hard earned savings. I simply think that some American men believe that by marrying foreign women they are getting problem-free fembots.

However, in the big picture, I really could care less who marries whom.
Yes. This is the type of understandable bias I was suspecting. This is why we screen juries for bias.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:41 PM

74 posts, read 294,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Well, if the fella is some gross, toothless, and overweight slob and the women is some slender babe from Russia met over the Internet or from an ad in some magazine, I dare say the matrimony is going to inspire some snickers and wisecracks. And eventually some pity.

Other than that, I think the question inane, stupid, and ultimately nobody's F****** business.

This is is most likely an angry American woman who probably has been divorced several times and taken antidepressants for years.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:56 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
I used to work with a woman of Irish descent (born in the '30s) who was forbidden to date "outside the race". To her family that met Italians in particular.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:03 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Unless you're getting a mail-order bride, I don't see why anyone would care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies