Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:35 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,559,984 times

Advertisements

Girl Scouts Gone Wild - Kathryn Jean Lopez - National Review Online
Distributed a brochure titled "healthy, happy, and hot"
Here's the brochure
http://www.ippf.org/NR/rdonlyres/B44...HealthyHot.pdf
Remember this when you next buy your Girl Scout cookies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 12:23 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,308,719 times
Damn, I can't send PP my $100 donation for moronic anti PP threads until I return from my holiday in the tropics.

Sorry, PP.
Dave, you're redundant, albeit misinformed topic is yet again a source of income for PP.

I'll make the donation in your name.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:32 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,559,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Damn, I can't send PP my $100 donation for moronic anti PP threads until I return from my holiday in the tropics.

Sorry, PP.
Dave, you're redundant, albeit misinformed topic is yet again a source of income for PP.

So you're perfectly fine with Planned Parenthood and Girl Scouts issuing brochures like the one above to young girls or did you not even bother to read the brochure distributed to young girls?

Old 03-17-2010, 01:42 AM

37,152 posts, read 42,269,129 times
Quote:
So you're perfectly fine with Planned Parenthood and Girl Scouts issuing brochures like the one above to young girls or did you not even bother to read the brochure distributed to young girls?
I can't find a non biased news source for this. It's a brouchure made for young people with AIDS so how that involves GS isn't clear. Who it was distributed to, and other details, seem to be missing. It appears PP and GS were somewhere together...beyond that I can't comment. It will be interesting to see what actual GS members who were there have to say.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:05 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,832,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Sorry, PP.

Contributing to those encouraging sex relationships with HIV individuals sounds rather self-destructive. . . . perhaps Darwinism at work.

If not sad and real the topic would be hilarious. The IPPF's message of freedom of sex runs into nature. Without admitting error and defeat, they now must inform those they deceived with what its like living with an incurable, life threatening sexually transmitted disease. Quite a group.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:27 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,066,236 times
This is just more insane propaganda put forth by the "family values" nutters that run around screaming conspiracy theories about moral panics. The only people saying anything about it are those who have taken up absolute standards in defense of "morals in society", without much of a shred of actual proof besides their own fear mongering and paranoia (like the ever popular The Paranoid Style in American Politics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). If it continues, it will earn a nice place at number 7 in The 6 Most Insane Moral Panics in American History | Cracked.com.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:43 AM

15,876 posts, read 21,472,451 times
My first day of a Geography of HIV/AIDS class in a prestigious British university, the professor said "It may surprise the Americans in the room, but HIV positive people can have sex." Well controlled HIV is not contagious. We had several speakers who came in over the semester and spoke about having partners, wives, and husbands and still leading fulfilling lives with them sexually. That's not something you often hear about in the US and I wish the brochure had been more explicit about it.

That said, I still see nothing wrong. 14 years old is not too young to talk to any child about sex- in particular an HIV+ one. Those talks probably SHOULD start by 10 at the latest due to the unique circumstances those children face in trying to lead a normal life. The brochure is flashy but it's trying to target a certain audience- a largely urban young demographic. While there is no evidence that the Girl Scouts have anything to do with this, they have a long history of informing girls about their bodies and publishing literature guiding them through puberty since so many parents wait far too long to talk to their children about these issues.

HIV/AIDS does not need to be a death sentence in the long life these kids might have preceding their actual one. In my volunteer work, I have met HIV+ people who were diagnosed in the mid 80s and still going strong, many healthier than they have ever been due to the better drug cocktails. These are still teenagers, just teenagers with HIV. We know abstinence does not work so are we supposed to pretend these teenagers do not exist?

Old 03-17-2010, 07:50 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,098,170 times
You sure it's Planned Parenthood or homosexuals at Planned Parenthood? It looks like most of the publications put out by gay organizations. They will yet destroy this country.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:39 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,326,853 times
Heaven forbid that anyone should print a pamphlet for teenagers who are ALREADY infected with HIV, telling them that it is required by law that they inform their partners of their disease. Heaven forbid that they tell teenagers ALREADY infected with HIV that they can transmit that disease in other ways than just vaginal sex. These are not innocent girls who don't already know about sex that the pamphlets is written for, for crying out loud. How many others do you think an uninformed teen can infect before they grow up and learn to be responsible? When you child or grandchild becomes infected will you then see the need for this type of sex education of teenage girls ALREADY infected with HIV?

Old 03-17-2010, 08:50 AM

15,876 posts, read 21,472,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Heaven forbid that anyone should print a pamphlet for teenagers who are ALREADY infected with HIV, telling them that it is required by law that they inform their partners of their disease. Heaven forbid that they tell teenagers ALREADY infected with HIV that they can transmit that disease in other ways than just vaginal sex. These are not innocent girls who don't already know about sex that the pamphlets is written for, for crying out loud. How many others do you think an uninformed teen can infect before they grow up and learn to be responsible? When you child or grandchild becomes infected will you then see the need for this type of sex education of teenage girls ALREADY infected with HIV?
To be fair, this is probably also marketed at the small sector of the population who receive it from their mothers. Mother-child transmission has all but been eradicated if the proper procedures take place, but so many people simply do not seek neonatal care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies