Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:42 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I trust coporations only a little more than I do the government for fairness and honest financial disclosure. We need to be hauling in both the CEOS AND our elected representatives to answer to US about the repercussions of this bill.
Start demanding more town hall meetings.
I agree. I want FULL disclosure of the back and forth tweaking Obama and the Dems did with the CBO to get the "numbers" they wanted.

I also want a FULL transcript of the meeting Obama had with the CEOs in which the CEOs told Obama what the consequences of the bill would be, he didn't understand what they were saying, and he ultimately accused them of lying because he didn't like hearing the truth they told him. And, I want FULL disclosure of the memos Democrat legislators failed to read informing them of the consequences of the bill, in light of the following:

"Most of these people [in the Administration] have never had a real job in their lives. They don't understand a thing about business, and that includes the President," says a senior lobbyist for one of the companies that announced the charge. "My CEO sat with the President over lunch with two other CEOs, and each of them tried to explain to the President what this bill would do to our companies and the economy in general. First the President didn't understand what they were talking about. Then he basically told my boss he was lying. Frankly my boss was embarrassed for him; he clearly had not been briefed and didn't know what was in the bill."
Neither Waxman or Stupak ...had anything more than a cursory understanding of how the many sections of the bill would impact business or even individual citizens before they voted on the bill, says House Energy Democrat staff. "We had memos on these issues, but none of our people, we think, looked at them," says a staffer. "When they saw the stories last week about the charges some of the companies were taking, they were genuinely surprised and assumed that the companies were just doing this to embarrass them. They really believed this bill would immediately lower costs. They just didn't understand what they were voting on."
Obama in Rude Denial
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 02:32 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
They are not required to disclose it at all unless the non-cash charge to reduce the value of an asset they have booked for the present value of future tax-related receivables is significant. If they do decide to disclose it, it must be in the earnings statement for the same quarter in which recognition of the change in asset valuation took place. There is no requirement that first quarter earnings statements be issued before the end of the quarter.

Those who look the most like fools are those who know nothing about this situation yet yammer on and on as if they did. The alleged financial damage to affected companies is -- once again -- trivial. Congress and the administration were perfectly well aware of the effect of the language they wrote and passed and of the accounting necessity to disclose resulting non-cash charges to the extent that these were significant. What's at question is the math that some companies have used to calculate the charges. That has not been disclosed.

That is exactly what I said. It is a charge against earnings and MUST be reported prior to the quarter.

"Congress and the administraion were perfectly aware of the effect......."

So, if aware, Sag, they are idiots. If they were unaware, they were incompetent. Which is it?

Only an idiot would increase expenses for US manufacturers and increase unemployment at a time when the economy is fragile and unemployment is at 10%. Only an idiot would create a financial situation which would compel industry to dump retirees to medicare roles, or to close domestic plants.

Only the incompetent would not know of this provision or the effect this would have on industry.

Now, Sag, in the WSJ, Waxman claimed ingorance, which would suggest that the Congress and Obama are simply incompetent. I can't wait to hear the "explanations" of the congressmen.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:57 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That is exactly what I said. It is a charge against earnings and MUST be reported prior to the quarter.
No, what you exactly said was "They are REQUIRED to report this information before the end of the quarter, which is tommorrow." Which is wrong.

Quote:
"Congress and the administration were perfectly aware of the effect......."
So, if aware, Sag, they are idiots. If they were unaware, they were incompetent. Which is it?
See this letter? See to whom it is addressed? See the CC: at the bottom of page 2?

Quote:
Only an idiot would increase expenses for US manufacturers and increase unemployment at a time when the economy is fragile and unemployment is at 10%. Only an idiot would create a financial situation which would compel industry to dump retirees to medicare roles, or to close domestic plants.
For the umpteenth time, the actual costs are trivial. They are no more than .03% of revenue. And again, that would be the equivalent of $2 a month to someone earning $80K per year. How close to an idiot does one have to be in order to believe that big-time companies make major corporate decisions over chump change?

Old 05-07-2010, 11:21 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Wonder why these hearings were cancelled by Congress? They didnt want the media focusing on the increased costs?

Old 05-07-2010, 12:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wonder why these hearings were cancelled by Congress? They didnt want the media focusing on the increased costs?
Increased costs and the corporations saying they might drop employer sponsored healthcare altogether.

And with these new reports..Congress and the WH knew what these corporations were going to do. And they totally ignored that and marched forward telling everyone that nothing would change for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies