Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:10 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,522,627 times

Advertisements

9 charged in suicide of bullied teen Phoebe Prince (http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/da-to-make-announcement-about-phoebe-prince-suicide-20100329 - broken link)
Nine teens have been charged in the "unrelenting" bullying of a teenage girl from Ireland who killed herself after being raped and enduring months of torment by classmates in person and online, a prosecutor said today.
Six teens — four girls and two boys — face charges including statutory rape, assault, violation of civil rights resulting in injury, criminal harassment, disturbance of a school assembly and stalking. Three younger girls face delinquency charges.
She said school officials knew about the bullying, but none will face criminal charges.
Cyberbullying may be to blame for South Hadley teen's suicide | Phoebe Prince | (http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/south-hadley-girls-death-in-question - broken link)
Even after her death, bullies posted disparaging messages on her Facebook memorial page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 04:12 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,536,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
9 charged in suicide of bullied teen Phoebe Prince (http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/da-to-make-announcement-about-phoebe-prince-suicide-20100329 - broken link)
Nine teens have been charged in the "unrelenting" bullying of a teenage girl from Ireland who killed herself after being raped and enduring months of torment by classmates in person and online, a prosecutor said today.
Six teens — four girls and two boys — face charges including statutory rape, assault, violation of civil rights resulting in injury, criminal harassment, disturbance of a school assembly and stalking. Three younger girls face delinquency charges.
She said school officials knew about the bullying, but none will face criminal charges.
Cyberbullying may be to blame for South Hadley teen's suicide | Phoebe Prince | (http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/south-hadley-girls-death-in-question - broken link)
Even after her death, bullies posted disparaging messages on her Facebook memorial page.

Wow...and if the parents of these kids knew what was going on or were warned that this was going on, they need to be charged as well.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:16 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,909 times
How awful. What an incredibly disturbing story.

This amazed me:

Scheibel said the harassment began in September. She said school officials knew about the bullying, but none will face criminal charges.
"The actions of these students were primarily conducted on school grounds during school hours and while school was in session," the prosecutor said.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:27 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,241 times
I think unfortunately with the advent of social networking, the terror and bullying some students receive in school has been extended to their lives in general. Whereas before a student could get a breather from the bullying once the schoolday was over, now they can be faced with constant public harrassment on the internet.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:35 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Wow...and if the parents of these kids knew what was going on or were warned that this was going on, they need to be charged as well.

Oh boy do i agree with you, If these parents knew this was going on and allowed this behavior to continue, they need to be charged as well, Students have gone mad, and Parents need some control over their teen's. For gosh sakes be Parent's. Too many want to be friends with there kids, not a Parent.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:54 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,938,326 times
More evidence that the group harassment occurs. Group bullying is very real. This is very tragic. However, I am glad that this did not end up in a school shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post

Old 03-30-2010, 08:02 PM

691 posts, read 1,426,843 times
If its any consolation to the victims, those punks will find out what bullying is all about once they enter the prison gates!

In all seriousness, I do have mixed feelings on this issue. I wasn't the most popular kid back in my HS days but I never went through what this girl had to go through so I really don't know. I've had people say hurtful things to me but I never harmed myself over it. Was it their intent to drive this girl to suicide? As for "anti-bullying" legislation, when is the line drawn? If everyone was held accountable for every time they hurt someones feelings, we'd all be felons.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:05 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamCharger1985 View Post
If its any consolation to the victims, those punks will find out what bullying is all about once they enter the prison gates!

In all seriousness, I do have mixed feelings on this issue. I wasn't the most popular kid back in my HS days but I never went through what this girl had to go through so I really don't know. I've had people say hurtful things to me but I never harmed myself over it. Was it their intent to drive this girl to suicide? As for "anti-bullying" legislation, when is the line drawn? If everyone was held accountable for every time they hurt someones feelings, we'd all be felons.
I hear what you are saying, but this girl was raped twice by these guys, and at least 9 kids knew about it. That's apart from everything else that happened. I would say that's taking bullying to a whole new level.

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamCharger1985 View Post

Stalking, harassment, and statutory rape sound like more than hurting her feelings.

19,226 posts, read 15,317,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
How awful. What an incredibly disturbing story.

This amazed me:

Scheibel said the harassment began in September. She said school officials knew about the bullying, but none will face criminal charges.
"The actions of these students were primarily conducted on school grounds during school hours and while school was in session," the prosecutor said.
Sounds just like prison. Public schools, that is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies