Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:58 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Why..I'm flabbergastered!!!
Nowhere in the history of this fine country, have such dastardly words been hurled at the nigras!!

In the absence of a video or audio recording you find it quite comfortable to call these men liars, you further defame them by suggesting they lie on a regular basis by alledging non existant racial name calling.

What's truely odd are the number of people that believe that every word spoken, every verbal exchange, or conversation at these events are somehow caught on tape, or is that just an excuse to deny what these men say happened??
Well we do live in an age where there is almost always a camera running. Just as there was in this case.

The men made a rather serious charge. Nobody I care to drink with would like the N word being hurled at John Lewis. The man made his bones at Selma and I greatly respect that. I think anyone who would insult him as such is scum.

But, it looks to be a hoax. And contriving a hoax damages credibility and chips away at your legacy. A man who was clubbed by racist cops has now manipulated his reputation and cried wolf. The son of a man who was with MLK has helped. Where I come from these men would be termed liars.

And absent any evidence, that is what they are. Do you really want to defend that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 11:00 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
And some of us have been called terrible names by people with darker skin than our own. I don't see us playing professional victims over it. Admit that you enjoy the power of being able to play that race card just because it happened to you at one time or another! That, my friend is every bit as racist as those who are truly racially discrimatory by use of the "n" word.
To say that I enjoy "the power of being able to play the race card" would be like saying that I enjoy being called a ni**** and that I enjoy being mistreated and discriminated against based on my race. You are way out of line for even insinuating that.

Have you ever been denied housing because of your race? Have you been pulled over by the police because of your race? Have you ever been denied admission to a school for your race? Have you ever been denied employment for your race? All of those things have happened to myself or people I know and were proven and I am speaking of people that are still alive today. Some of it happened long ago, some more recent. Most of them did not file suit but I suppose if they did, you would accuse them of playing the race card because they chose to make sure that they are granted the rights that they are guaranteed by law.

The first and last time someone called me a n***** to my face, I was fifteen-years-old at trolly stop in Brookline, MA. I was extremely hurt and shocked at the time. The next time I heard the word from a white person was in El Cajon, CA when a skinhead pulled up next to me blasting a song about hating n*****. I never gave him the satisfaction of thinking I heard, just turned up my reggae and looked straight ahead. The word itself has no control unless you let it but by telling these stories, I am not playing the race card.

Racism may be weaker than it was fifty years ago but it is still alive. Until you've walked a mile in someone shoes, you should sit down and shutup. You have no idea what it feels like for someone to try to take something away from you based on the color of your skin. The N word always evokes a certain emotion. It is also a reminder of the struggle that people endured to get where we are today. I don't need evidence because it's not that uncommon. Just because I didn't hear it, doesn't mean it wasn't said and just because you accuse people of playing the race card does not mean that we will tolerate racism. In case you haven't noticed, it's 2010 in DC, not 1950 in Alabama.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:11 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,536,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post

Uhm NO..maybe you missed the OP's point. The OP railed against the "liberal" media for reporting on the Congressman's claims of racial comments without video proof. Fox also reported the claims without video. So again, I did not know Fox was a liberal media.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:12 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
You post regarding the Tea Party is based on false assumptions that the alleged spat and slurs actually occured. Thus far there has been no proof and those that claimed it to be so (Lewis, Cleaver & Jackson Jr.) are refusing interviews to verify their claims. Therefore, you must have your own racist agenda in perpeturating what appears to be one huge lie.

Really, why continue to perpetuate a lie unless you have your own motivations for so doing? Are you a professional victim who also drops the race card at every opportunity, truth be darned?
You and you ilk are extremely invested in claiming that Lewis (and the others) who are taunted with racial/homophobic epithets as "liars" yet the honorable thing to do is to admit that the Tea Party members were over zealous in their behaviour during the protest.

See, here's the difference. I never feel a need to make excuses for the wrong-doing of others who happen to possibly share some of my similar beliefs. For example, I would never wear fur yet I do not agree with (and would never approve of/support the actions of) those who yell and throw red paint at those who do chose to wear fur.

Those who are expending great amounts of energy to "prove" that racial slurs were not spewed are obviuosly guilty of spewing the same vile yet are too ashamed of their own bigotry to simply reprimand their own and move on.

"Thou doth protest too much, methinks."

Old 03-30-2010, 11:13 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
To say that I enjoy "the power of being able to play the race card" would be like saying that I enjoy being called a ni**** and that I enjoy being mistreated and discriminated against based on my race. You are way out of line for even insinuating that. No, it is not the same thing. the "you" in my statement was collective for those that play the race card without substantiaion of the incident claimed. I should have been more clear. There is power and $$ gained by playing the race card when no true injustice has occured. There are highly visible public figures who capitalize upon just such activities.

Have you ever been denied housing because of your race? Have you been pulled over by the police because of your race? Have you ever been denied admission to a school for your race? Have you ever been denied employment for your race? All of those things have happened to myself or people I know and were proven and I am speaking of people that are still alive today. Some of it happened long ago, some more recent. Most of them did not file suit but I suppose if they did, you would accuse them of playing the race card because they chose to make sure that they are granted the rights that they are guaranteed by law.

If these things happened since the passage of the laws that prevent such injustices in the 1960's then it was illegal. They should have sued, and no, I do not accuse people of playing the "race card" when there is true discrimination.

I have been refused access to many things in this country because of my gender and my faith. The civil rights of minorities based on skin color have long been corected prior to those discriminations based on gender and faith. Yet, I don't play the victim because of it.

The first and last time someone called me a n***** to my face, I was fifteen-years-old at trolly stop in Brookline, MA. I was extremely hurt and shocked at the time. The next time I heard the word from a white person was in El Cajon, CA when a skinhead pulled up next to me blasting a song about hating n*****. I never gave him the satisfaction of thinking I heard, just turned up my reggae and looked straight ahead. The word itself has no control unless you let it but by telling these stories, I am not playing the race card.

Racism may be weaker than it was fifty years ago but it is still alive. Until you've walked a mile in someone shoes, you should sit down and shutup. Ditto You have no idea what it feels like for someone to try to take something away from you based on the color of your skin. The N word always evokes a certain emotion. It is also a reminder of the struggle that people endured to get where we are today. I don't need evidence because it's not that uncommon. So just because it is not uncommon suddenly substantiates false claims? Just because I didn't hear it, doesn't mean it wasn't said and just because you accuse people of playing the race card does not mean that we will tolerate racism. In case you haven't noticed, it's 2010 in DC, not 1950 in Alabama.
I know what year it is. Unfortunately it seems some members of the Congressional Black Caucus think it is still 1950 Alabama. Racism comes in all colors and certain black "leaders" are not immune from being racists themselves.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:38 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
I can tell you watched Hannity last night, as he said the same exact thing you are saying, very original.
It's good to know you watch Hannity, perhap if you contiue to watch him, you will eventually get a clue...!

Old 03-30-2010, 11:45 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,742 times
Quote:
I know what year it is. Unfortunately it seems some members of the Congressional Black Caucus think it is still 1950 Alabama. Racism comes in all colors and certain black "leaders" are not immune from being racists themselves.
It just seems to me that the right is tired of being associated with racism but rather than acknowledge and denounce the racism, they turn to the other side and accuse them of race-baiting, playing the race card or say it didn't happen. Even when it has been caught on tape, they say it wasn't meant that way. The first step to overcoming an obstacle is to admit that it exists.

A friend of mine, who is Puerto Rican attended a rally in support of HCR and was yelled and screamed at and told to go back to Mexico by right-wing protestors. She was born in the United States. She is not a race-baiter but the people that yelled at her were biggots. Until the right speaks out against this behavior, they will be seen as racist. Your silence (or denial in some cases) gives consent. If you want to move on, stop condoning racism.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:46 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The real "losers" are those who are trying to deflect from the racially motivated attacks on members of Congress over their votes for the Healthcare Bill.

Instead attempting to shift focus from the disgusting behaviour exhibited by certain Tea Party members, maybe the Tea Party leaders need to reign in their members to fight in a more civilized manner.

The Tea Party people are putting their true motivations on display. Their actions echo those of the anti-segregationists that screamed "N-gger Go Home" to innocent little school children during school intergration in the South and during school busing in Boston. Same mentality different issue - and these same types of people are still standing on the wrong side of history.
PROOF, provide proof that this accured as the race monger Lewis claimed!

Old 03-30-2010, 11:48 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,646 times
Quote:
As if it calling someone the N word is so far-fetched. I have been called one before. I have had friends who have been as well. Call me a race-baiter if you want, accuse me of playing the race card and make excuses for the racists. The thing is, that only works with other racists. The rest of us can see through it.
No one ever denied the term being used, all I ever said was that I demand proof that these so called racial slurs were hurled as Lewis claimed. I have seen Lewis and pretty much every other black Democrat here in Atlanta pull the race card more times than I can count!

Old 03-30-2010, 11:51 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times
Quote:
It just seems to me that the right is tired of being associated with racism but rather than acknowledge and denounce the racism, they turn to the other side and accuse them of race-baiting, playing the race card or say it didn't happen. Even when it has been caught on tape, they say it wasn't meant that way. The first step to overcoming an obstacle is to admit that it exists.

A friend of mine, who is Puerto Rican attended a rally in support of HCR and was yelled and screamed at and told to go back to Mexico by right-wing protestors. She was born in the United States. She is not a race-baiter but the people that yelled at her were biggots. Until the right speaks out against this behavior, they will be seen as racist. Your silence (or denial in some cases) gives consent. If you want to move on, stop condoning racism.
I am not a republican but tell me why is it ok to call me a racist? For simply attending tea parties. I have not done a racist thing in my life. My husband was called a racist yesterday at a gas station for having a bumper sticker of a black man Allen West on our car. Allen West is a black man. Are we not suppose to get sick of being insulted for no reason? Maybe you should tell your fellow democrats to not insult people without just cause. Actually seeing something that is racist

I havent seen the behavior you speak of in fact there is many hispanics including my husband that attends the tea parties here. In another thread I posted video of a few black people speaking at a tea party event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies