U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 11:32 AM

9,881 posts, read 20,466,330 times

Advertisements

Are you anti-govt ? Im not but i dont trust the govt (fed & state). It just seems the govts want to have more & more control of our lives. My local assemblyman paul cook (yucaipa,ca) cant even reply back to my emails. I was talking to his assistant george price for awhile but i guess he didnt like my opinion. Being outspoken has its up & downsides. I do respect a person thats not afraid to say their opinion & dont fear retaliation. As long as you dont threaten someone you can pretty much say what you want & feel. The local newspaper editor claire teeters (yucaipa/calimesa news mirror) is pro city & friends with george price. She dont like what i have to say but she cant do a damn thing about it. NO one can. The united states constitution protects me (us) & like hell if ill let anyone try to take it away from me. They are more then welcome to try though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 12:16 PM

680 posts, read 1,289,919 times
To me, the larger the organization, the less I can trust that it represents me and the less I trust it.

The main difference between government and large corporations is that governments are a result of our direct vote, corporations gain power through our purchases of their goods and services. We have the power, collectively, to change both the public and private sector by educating people about each and making choices that will benefit the public in the long run.

But that brings us to the REAL source of our problems: Ourselves. We cannot agree on anything (look at the fairly even split between pro- and anti-Obama fanatics, for example) and the world has become so complex that none of us can comprehend it as individuals. So we look to "experts" to educate us. I trust the scientists who have been discovering evidence of global warming, other people don't. That's just one example. And even though I think humans are causing some global warming, I don't agree with most of the proposals for dealing with it.

If the people cannot agree through informed consensus then we cannot take effective action. So we're really just giving up our power to government and corporate interests.

I sympathize with your feelings. Frustrating, ain't it?

Old 04-01-2010, 03:03 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,375,066 times
Anti-government is one thing...
Anti bad govenrment, controling, income theft and corruption, spending and putting a nation into debt is why people are against this government.

Government continues to ignore the constitution and the original intent of freedom. While they over tax and over regulate bailout business they people will get angry and feel they are been controlled, USED and turned into a slave. When you have to work 4 months our of the year to pay your taxes to end up with this sad excuse for government you have a right to be mad. ITS YOUR MONEY. This country needs to step back and ask themselves a few questsions.

1. What has government given you that it didnt take from others.
2. The people government stole from to give you welfare, and or any other "service" from usually your friends and or fellow Americans dont have they have a say in this. Shoudnt they feel used, abused and like slave to a system when it is broke and leaves them with less in their pay check.
3. When we go to war wouldnt it be nice to have a plan, to attack those who did us harm and REVIEW policies that dont protect our individual rights at home. YOU CAN NOT PROTECT DEMOCRACY FOR THE REST OF THE WORLD!@!!! CAN NOT BE DONE AND IF THINK THAT SHOW ME THE MONEY AND WHERE IT AS BEEN DONE WITHOUT COSTING YOUR FREEDOMS AT HOME AND YOUR BLOOD AND INCOME!!! SHOW ME WHERE IN THE CONSTITUTION IT SAYS THAT, WHAT RIGHT A PRESIDENT HAS TO BOMB ANY NATION HE WANTS! (That rant was for the neocon miltary lovers who think democracy is our responsiblity) Democracy is a individual and nations responsiblity to ITSELF!
Defend your borders, your nation and your land only. IF the rest of the countries want FREEDOM they are going to start sheding their blood and their incomes for their liberty. Liberty comes at a cost and we lose more liberty at home while we defend Democracy in IRAQ when they havent had it EVER!!!

I cant understand the thought process that we must defend the rest of the world to keep in in balance. YOU HAVE THIS ILLUSION THAT IT IS IN BALANCE TO BEGIN WITH! What if America makes it out of balance. The balance of what freedom or business and other interests which have nothing to do with my individual rights. This is nothing more then an excuse to use power over someone because you think we have the right because we are good and they are bad.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:08 PM

9,742 posts, read 10,005,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
1. What has government given you that it didnt take from others.

Does the private sector give you things for free?

As was stated earlier in the thread, the only difference is in how we decide which goods to purchase. Public sector purchases are decided by our votes. Do you not like our democratic system?

Old 04-01-2010, 03:14 PM

23,836 posts, read 21,742,060 times
I'd call myself a Government Cynic.

Take speed cameras, for example. ANY politician will tell you those cameras are for catching speeders and that we need to put out as many as we can to keep the roads safe. But cynnicism and common sense tells the rest of us that its nothing but a low-ball revenue generator.

With this type of crap happening on a national scale, I don't see how anyone can NOT be a government cynic.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:25 PM

9,742 posts, read 10,005,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'd call myself a Government Cynic.

Take speed cameras, for example. ANY politician will tell you those cameras are for catching speeders and that we need to put out as many as we can to keep the roads safe. But cynnicism and common sense tells the rest of us that its nothing but a low-ball revenue generator.

With this type of crap happening on a national scale, I don't see how anyone can NOT be a government cynic.
Agreed, but the private sector operates in the same manner. Anyone that thinks corporations are saintly organizations is beyond naive.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:09 AM

9,881 posts, read 20,466,330 times
From my experience if you say any negative thing about the govt (fed, state, county & city) you get ignored. I thought my local assemblyman assistant george price was a nice guy. Guess i was wrong or maybe he just fears me like. Im outspoken & the city and others incl the local newspaper editor dont like that. TOUGH ****! Too many damn cowards amongst us.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:17 AM

20,502 posts, read 21,090,854 times
nvx, why do you keep bringing up the private sector? This thread has nothing to do with private companies. Not even peripherally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies