Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:52 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times

Advertisements

Oh this stuff just keeps getting funnier and funnier. The Big Corps. are squealing about having to pay for retirees prescription drugs, when they used it as a tax writeoff. I guess welfare is ok if it involves Corporations and not individuals. Where are the outcries on those gubmit subsidies????

Read on:

Big Business, GOP Complain That Health Reform Slashes Corporate Welfare

The Republican Party and major corporations have joined forces in the first major rearguard attack on health care reform, charging that the cost of complying with "Obamacare" is resulting in hundreds of millions of dollars in added business expenses.
The crime that reform is guilty of: Slashing corporate welfare.

Under the previous system, major corporations were subsidized by the government to provide prescription drug coverage to their retired employees. At the same time, corporations could claim on their tax returns that it was they -- not the taxpayers -- who paid for the drug coverage, and could write the expense off as a tax deduction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 02:00 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
You do realize that taxing business is taxing yourself right?

Old 03-31-2010, 02:01 PM

88,965 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
No, they don't.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:04 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Naw, never realized that since I don't have to purchase products or services from any particular company. For example, I don't need a John Deere tractor to mow my lawn. My phone service is provided by Verizon and not AT&T (who seems to be complaining the loudest).

PS - What no blaming unions for extracting all those subsidized bennys?

Old 03-31-2010, 02:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Let it be on our heads and the heads of our children. The Almighty Business Gods may punish us by passing on their taxes but they must be accountable. The monies they bank are not returned to society in any meaningful way. In any case, competition will limit the worst of the offenses. Those old style anti-trust legislations came about for a good reason. Maybe stronger consumer protections in general rather than treating end users as the criminals. The right want a pro-business climate that runs roughshod over the environment, their labor force, and operates free of any financial restrictions on their profit. You all won't be angry untill you all start dropping dead at 30 from all the poison they have been putting in your water, air and food.

H

Old 03-31-2010, 02:21 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Oh this stuff just keeps getting funnier and funnier. The Big Corps. are squealing about having to pay for retirees prescription drugs, when they used it as a tax writeoff. I guess welfare is ok if it involves Corporations and not individuals. Where are the outcries on those gubmit subsidies????

Read on:

The Republican Party and major corporations have joined forces in the first major rearguard attack on health care reform, charging that the cost of complying with "Obamacare" is resulting in hundreds of millions of dollars in added business expenses.
The crime that reform is guilty of: Slashing corporate welfare.

Under the previous system, major corporations were subsidized by the government to provide prescription drug coverage to their retired employees. At the same time, corporations could claim on their tax returns that it was they -- not the taxpayers -- who paid for the drug coverage, and could write the expense off as a tax deduction.

The big difference-

1. Buisnesses EMPLOY people and provide retirement and pensions-

All tremendous benefits to society and the tax basis for the nation

2. Welfare and social programs employ NO ONE and DRAINS THE TREASURY.

Little difference there- one is a benefit to the financial stability of the nation- the other a drain. Even liberals have to have jobs, eat, and have shelter. They just do not seem to understand this. I would suggest to every liberal that they try to live on the streets for a year and go without eating for a week. Maybe then they would understand the importance of having a job.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:24 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
I do not consider myself the "right". They are just deplorable collectivists as their twins on the "left". I do not recognize business as an actual entity. That is simply a term of special rights granted to some individuals. So I am not sure what you find offensive. It is natural for "businesses" to pass on costs of government to the consumer. Just as you would do the same if you were able to evade the actions of those who wished to steal from you.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:06 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The big difference-

1. Buisnesses EMPLOY people and provide retirement and pensions-

All tremendous benefits to society and the tax basis for the nation

2. Welfare and social programs employ NO ONE and DRAINS THE TREASURY.

Little difference there- one is a benefit to the financial stability of the nation- the other a drain. Even liberals have to have jobs, eat, and have shelter. They just do not seem to understand this. I would suggest to every liberal that they try to live on the streets for a year and go without eating for a week. Maybe then they would understand the importance of having a job.
Not anymore if they can help it. And, if you haven't noticed, business has been more or less operating free of the worst of the taxations that are foreseen and have been enriching themeslves very well. As a class, post meltdown, the rebound of business profits is beating the 40 year cycle very handsomely. Employment though is in the toilet and is expected to remain there throughout the decade. I wonder why? I think it is the conservatives who need to consider the consequences of a large, restive, pool of unemployed Americans completely out of unemployment extensions and wasteful social programs like welfare, food stamps, etc.

H

Old 03-31-2010, 03:14 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
Quote:
My understanding is that they will still get the tax subsidy but will no longer be able to double-dip and claim the tax deduction.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:16 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
I hate subsidies and tax loopholes or what have you myself, having said that this particular one was beneficial to both the retiree and the US taxpayer and actually made sense. The ultimate benficiaries were the retirees with better coverage and the US taxpayer.... that's right the US taxpayer. The reason this was allowed in the first place was so the corporations kept them on their own plans instead of dumping them onto medicare D. Now that they have less incentive to keep them on their own plans, many will probably drop the coverage ironically increasing profits and it's going to cost the US taxpayer more because the US taxpayer will be footing the entire bill through medicare D. The retiree will also have less benefits.... Happy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies