Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:46 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You can't re-purpose old interviews without permission. LL Cook and Toby Keith are both victims of Palin's sloppy disrespect for ethics. She wasn't even the person to interview them in the first place, either.
I suppose then it is wrong for Diane Sawyer to host 60 minutes and introduce a story where SHE did not do the interview?
Grow up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 10:55 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I suppose then it is wrong for Diane Sawyer to host 60 minutes and introduce a story where SHE did not do the interview?
Grow up!
The network did not ask if the previously taped interviews could be used in the program being put together. Cutting and splicing an old interview to fit the format of a new program, can at times, alter it to the point that it misrepresents the original content.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:55 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Default From VP to VJ.

- how the mighty has fallen... And this is the woman you wanted a heartbeat from the presidency? Sarah Palin has done America one colossal favor: She made America aware of McCain's decision making skills.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:57 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Grow up!
One suspects that interviewees for 60 minutes are aware of the format.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:47 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You can't re-purpose old interviews without permission. LL Cook and Toby Keith are both victims of Palin's sloppy disrespect for ethics. She wasn't even the person to interview them in the first place, either.
Let me explain how it works. LL Cool J signed off on the interview when he originally did it....then it was aired to the public....once they did that, anyone can air it by crediting the interviewer and the station it was originally aired on. This is done all the time...all day long...across the entire country. It's constantly done on news programs. The news program's host (in this case it would have been Palin), credits the interviewer and the the station that originally aired it right before the play it and then after the program, both will be given credit again when they roll the credits in writing. Usually an entire isn't re-played and that probably holds true in this case....instead, it's usually just a part of the interview....a segment.

E News, Entertainment Tonight, Soup (also on E), John Stewart does it, Colbert does it and the list goes on forever. Palin isn't disrespecting any one, I understand you like it to be that way so you can criticize her for it but, unfortunately she's not. In fact, considering her popularity lately compared to Cool J's now, if anything re-playing some of the interview would only benefit him by showing it to people that had not seen it in the past....especially if it made people who view rappers negatively, reconsider their views. It was going to be used in a positive way (showing how he was able to overcome adversity) and you're complaining about that. Isn't that what you would want instead of her doing a negative story about him or would you have preferred that so you could have criticized her for that too.....either way she's wrong.

Palin or FOX were not claiming that she interviewed him, some blogger made the assumption that she did when he e-mailed liberals and said that she would be chit-chatting with the hip hop legend. His Tweet was in response to a fan asking him if he was going to be on Palin's show....his response under what circumstances it was going to be....footage from an old interview.

This is the point of my thread, that all these rumors are based on assumptions people make when they re-tell the original story and alter what was actually reported (probably unintentionally too but, nonetheless serving their agenda when it's to criticize someone they oppose). The thread is not so muh about the example I used....that being this current incident with Palin and Cool J (although that's a part of it).

Old 04-01-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
This is a duplicate thread on this topic
There may be a duplicate about the incident itself. My thread is just as much if not more, about how rumors end up becoming news now on a regular basis. The Palin Cool J incident being so current, was a good example to use for that in addition to commenting on it as well.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:10 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Palins in the Kitchen: Ladies Love Cool Jams

Sarah: Todd!!!
Todd: Yea hun?
Sarah: Fox is the best place to work EVER!
Todd: well, I'll hafta agree with you there babe
Sarah: yea! They are giving me this interview show about real Americans!
Todd: Amen, Sarah! It sounds perfect!
Sarah: And here's the best part, I don't hafta interview anyone!
Todd: what?
Sarah: yea! I know! This is going to be like when I was the president of Alaska!
Todd: sure sounds like it!
Sarah: All I have to do is say a couple lines in between stories!
Todd: Wow! who is going to be on the show?
Sarah: Some guy named LL Cool J? What kinda name is that?
Todd: I think he's a rapper
Sarah: With a name like that? Well, it's too bad I can't interview him because that's the first thing I ask ... what's up with the name LL?
Todd: Yea, I'd be interested in that
Sarah: But I don't! That's the point Todd! All I have to do is look like ME!
Todd: And that ain't hard!
Sarah: And that great American singer, Toby Keith! Oh man, I love my job!
Todd: I wonder if those guys gave permission to use those interviews?
Sarah: What?
Todd: Did they agree to be a part of your show?
Sarah: What difference does that make? You're starting to sound like the lame stream media!
Todd: Well, would you like it?
Sarah: Well, of course not! I'm Sarah Palin. But those guys should be happy to be on MY show!
Todd: Well, you had better make sure those guys are ok with it.
Sarah: I don't need to, the Fox people will take care of it. All I hafta do is show up! Oh, and they had better have my Diet Dr. Pepper!

Old 04-01-2010, 06:53 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
danno (echoing the party line) wrote;

No, not "politely"! When they were promoting the show they were holding him up as having some kind of "inspiring story", when they cancelled it they dropped into typical Fox "snark" mode, making cracks about how "Mr. Smith (notice they dropped the name by which everyone knows him, and which they had used to promote the show) has decided he does not want to be a part of a show that might inspire others"...and then "we wish him well in his fledgling acting career".

"Fledgling"? Just like they take "creative license" when editing clips of ANYTHING ever said by ANY DEMOCRAT, Fox takes a lot of "creative license" with the word "fledgling".

He appeared in his first move in '86

He was the lead actor in the TV show "In The House", which ran for from '95-'99 (longer than most stuff Fox broadcast has ever done), got a couple of nominations for that show. Heck, it probably ran longer than Palin was governor of AK.

He's done a fair amount of acting in big time movie productions; "Any Given Sunday" and "Charlies Angels".

He's done his share of suspect/patient/dead guy of the week on TV dramas.

He's the co-lead on a pretty popular TV show "NCIS LA".

So he started his acting career (rounding out his rapping career) about the time Palin was dropping out of her third college. I'd say if anyone has a "fledgling" acting career (reading a teleprompter at a political convention doesn't qualify) it would be Palin.

And then you threw this into the mix;

The above ramble makes no sense at all? Did you read it after you wrote it? Or perhaps you were high, or just PO'd that your goddess Palin was being taken to task once again for her continuing life of falsehood and flim flam?

Actually it's fairly simple, they could do it the same way that EVERY OTHER SHOW (including the ones on Fox) does it;

1. Have her interview the people, either in person or via video hook-up
2. Run promos featuring excerpts from those interviews
3. Run those interviews on the show
I know you know Palin's entire life history, so you want to back up your claim about "dropping out of her third college"?

Actually she worked her way through college. Unlike many on here who waste mommy and daddy's money.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
danno (echoing the party line) wrote;
What part line would that be? I don't support any party nor did I hear what any party had to say about the incident....you're making assumptions that I'm echoing someone or some group, rather than it just being my opinion of what I read in the news article (unless the news article echos the party line, is that the case?). From what I read, FOX's statement was quite polite, especially considering that he felt they were misrepresenting themselves in the way it was being promoted. It's not like he was the only person's story that was being used for the show and they needed to use his name because no one knows who Palin is.

Quote:
No, not "politely"! When they were promoting the show they were holding him up as having some kind of "inspiring story", when they cancelled it they dropped into typical Fox "snark" mode, making cracks about how "Mr. Smith (notice they dropped the name by which everyone knows him, and which they had used to promote the show) has decided he does not want to be a part of a show that might inspire others"...and then "we wish him well in his fledgling acting career".

"Fledgling"? Just like they take "creative license" when editing clips of ANYTHING ever said by ANY DEMOCRAT, Fox takes a lot of "creative license" with the word "fledgling".
From what I read, FOX's statement was quite polite, especially considering that he felt they were misrepresenting themselves in the way it was being promoted. It's not like he was the only person's story that was being used for the show and they needed to use his name because no one knows who Palin is.

You're reading way too much into their statement. You've obviously got issues with FOX....typical FOX "snark" mode....making "cracks" about Mr. Smith. You call their statement cracks about him....they were asked to comment on it by Yahoo News. He didn't like the fact that they were using his interview on her show so, they cut that part. What would you have liked them to do, leave it in and give no comment about it.

You're right they should have used the name LL Cool J in their statement to Yahoo News.....they're obviously trying to get away with something. What would that be....that they don't want any one to realize that they're talking about LL Cool J in the statement they made?

They wished him well and the only part you got out of that was what you perceive as sarcasm by using the word "fledgling". By using that word in THEIR comment, it's "creative license" just like when they edit something....what are they editing by using that word....it's their comment. Do they need to be careful of what words they use so that nobody takes them the wrong way by making way too much out of one word and not considering the entire sentence the word was used in.

You have issues with FOX, let's face it. I just read the article from Yahoo News. I don't watch FOX any more than I watch CNN or MSNBC even, although I don't watch any of them a whole lot because, I not only don't have cable but, I don't even own a television. I watch them sometimes when I'm in front of TV that's on that channel...family or a friend's house....waiting room some where.

Did you read this part of the article that was right before what you quoted from it:

Quote:
When contacted by Yahoo! News for comment, a Fox News spokesperson explained that LL Cool J had been informed in 2008 that the interview was planned as a segment for "Real American Stories"--though of course the network couldn't have known at the time that Palin would be hosting.
Quote:
He appeared in his first move in '86

He was the lead actor in the TV show "In The House", which ran for from '95-'99 (longer than most stuff Fox broadcast has ever done), got a couple of nominations for that show. Heck, it probably ran longer than Palin was governor of AK.

He's done a fair amount of acting in big time movie productions; "Any Given Sunday" and "Charlies Angels".

He's done his share of suspect/patient/dead guy of the week on TV dramas.

He's the co-lead on a pretty popular TV show "NCIS LA".

So he started his acting career (rounding out his rapping career) about the time Palin was dropping out of her third college. I'd say if anyone has a "fledgling" acting career (reading a teleprompter at a political convention doesn't qualify) it would be Palin.
You're giving me a run down on his acting career to make your point about FOX issuing a statement that used the word "fledgling" when describing Cool J's acting career. Then you compared him to Palin (who doesn't have an acting career), as though she had one. What was the point of that?

His notoriety in the music industry has made him a legend. If he had never been in the music industry, most people wouldn't be able to remember his name from his acting career (they would recognize his face but, many probably would not know his name off the top of their head).

The article mentions him as the star on NCIS (not co-star or co-lead)...that's a big deal for a TV actor...I don't remember him doing other TV acting (the big screen...absolutely but, not TV). Maybe "fledgling" is a wise crack but, I didn't read it that way....the "wish him well" part made more of an impact on me so, if they were trying to insult him they should have been more "snark" about it.

Quote:
And then you threw this into the mix;

The above ramble makes no sense at all? Did you read it after you wrote it? Or perhaps you were high, or just PO'd that your goddess Palin was being taken to task once again for her continuing life of falsehood and flim flam?
You ask me if I'm high or if I'm PO'd about how people react to Palin? Nice! Calm down....you calm?....OK. I haven't done drugs since college 30 years ago. Second, I could care less about Palin....I don't support or oppose her. I made a typo and left one three letter word out of a sentence (I highlighted the word I left out in red):

Quote:
How are they suppose to promote her first show, by advertising to the public that her show is going to have stories about people that overcame adversity on it but, we can't tell you who any of them are because we'd be using their names to promote her show?
You really fly off the handle over a simple typo...did you consider that first? It's not that difficult to realize and figure out what's missing.

The whole incident isn't even the main point of my post, it's how news reports turn into rumors because of the assumptions people make and include in the story when they re-tell it. You're not someone who makes assumptions when you read or hear something, are you?

Quote:
Actually it's fairly simple, they could do it the same way that EVERY OTHER SHOW (including the ones on Fox) does it;

1. Have her interview the people, either in person or via video hook-up
2. Run promos featuring excerpts from those interviews
3. Run those interviews on the show
Well, that's one way of doing it sometimes and they also show clips from other interviews and credit the interviewer and station/program that originally aired the interview that the clip was taken from. It actually happens that way more often than the news host actually being the one that did the interview. Read the reply I left to Wayland Woman for examples.

Her first show is suppose to be about people that overcame adversity....they're not promoting that's it's about certain celebrities that she interviews. They don't need or want entire interviews of each person...it's just that one part of their lives they want to use as examples....the adversity they overcame. They just need clips...segments...the show is not about all the other stuff that would normally get asked in an interview.

This is her first show....she's never done anything like this before. I can't imagine starting her off interviewing people on day one. This has not been her career in the past....she has no experience at this. I'm not making excuses for her....I told you I could care less about her. I'm explaining what is the obvious to me.....what makes sense...I don't have an agenda driving me to make assumptions that will fit it.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
The network did not ask if the previously taped interviews could be used in the program being put together. Cutting and splicing an old interview to fit the format of a new program, can at times, alter it to the point that it misrepresents the original content.
They don't have to ask Cool J....he already signed off on it. All they have to do is credit the interviewer and the original station/program the interview was aired on. They don't have to play an entire interview just to show part of it. It's done this way all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies