Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2010, 08:07 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times

Advertisements

Party leaders say they don't like the prospect of their party being taken over by tea partiers. So just what policy do the tea partiers advocate that mainstream Republicans disagree with? Please enlighten me on the difference between a Republican and a tea partier on any issue. Prefer to hear from mainstream Republicans only on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 10:14 AM

757 posts, read 803,195 times
Isn't it fascinating that not one Republican has responded to this question since you posted the question? I'm curious myself.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:22 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,077,406 times
One's symbol is an elephant and the other is a sheep.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:35 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Party leaders say they don't like the prospect of their party being taken over by tea partiers. So just what policy do the tea partiers advocate that mainstream Republicans disagree with? Please enlighten me on the difference between a Republican and a tea partier on any issue. Prefer to hear from mainstream Republicans only on this.
Certainly

Centrist Republicans like myself

1. Don't advocate hate for illegal immigrants. We believe in strong immigration policy but we don't espouse negative feelings or a personal backlash against illegal immigrants. You can pass every strict immigration policy without the hate speech and racism that many Right Wing supporters espouse.

2. We don't support the Religious Right or the Evangelical movement in the Republican party. We still believe in the separation of Church and State. So regardless of how we feel personally feel about abortion and stem cell research, we don't believe in imposing those views on the public. I don't believe in abortion and I couldn't see myself advocating one but I do believe in a woman's right to choose and I don't think my views can be imposed on someone else's body. We also don't believe in imposing Creationism be taught in public schools or Christian prayer be imposed in public schools.

3. We are not anti-homosexual. We believe homosexuals have the right to conduct their lives however they see fit regardless of our personal views toward homosexuals. If they want to get married, go ahead, that's none of my business.

4. We don't hate Obama. We disagree with most of his policy but we don't agree with Birthers. We don't think he is racist toward Whites. We don't think he is secretly Muslim

5. We are not Partisan. Many right wing were supportive of the war. As soon as Obama became President, they are critical of the war. That is just partisan and petty non-sense. Either you are for the war or against regardless of who is in office.

My final point: if more Republicans espoused the above, we would gain a lot more followers. I know there are many Reagan Democrats. These were former Republicans who left the party when the Evangelicals dominated starting in the mid-90's when Clinton went into office. There are a lot of Democrats who believe in smaller government, lowering taxes and emphasizing personal responsibility but they can't deal with the Christian Right and remain Democrats

Old 04-04-2010, 11:15 AM

757 posts, read 803,195 times
As a Center left Democrat I agree with most everything you stated.
1. I too favor a strong immigration policy mostly for National Security reasons.
2. I don't support the RR and strongly believe in a separation of Church and State. I personally do not support "abortion" but I do support a woman's right to control her own body.
3.I support teaching science in science class and not a religious belief.
4. Being a gay man I obviously support equality under the law and other people's opinion really doesn't matter to me on this subject.
4. While I do support most of Obama's policies I don't support them all. As to partisanship, most of us are whether we admit to it or not.
5. As for Reagan, he was the ONLY and the LAST Republican I voted for. It was my first election in 1980 and I was only 18. Looking back I chalk it up to being young and very naive.

Given that the current Republican Party does believe most of the things you said you oppose, why do you remain a Republican given most of your positions are left leaning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Certainly

Centrist Republicans like myself

1. Don't advocate hate for illegal immigrants. We believe in strong immigration policy but we don't espouse negative feelings or a personal backlash against illegal immigrants. You can pass every strict immigration policy without the hate speech and racism that many Right Wing supporters espouse.

2. We don't support the Religious Right or the Evangelical movement in the Republican party. We still believe in the separation of Church and State. So regardless of how we feel personally feel about abortion and stem cell research, we don't believe in imposing those views on the public. I don't believe in abortion and I couldn't see myself advocating one but I do believe in a woman's right to choose and I don't think my views can be imposed on someone else's body. We also don't believe in imposing Creationism be taught in public schools or Christian prayer be imposed in public schools.

3. We are not anti-homosexual. We believe homosexuals have the right to conduct their lives however they see fit regardless of our personal views toward homosexuals. If they want to get married, go ahead, that's none of my business.

4. We don't hate Obama. We disagree with most of his policy but we don't agree with Birthers. We don't think he is racist toward Whites. We don't think he is secretly Muslim

5. We are not Partisan. Many right wing were supportive of the war. As soon as Obama became President, they are critical of the war. That is just partisan and petty non-sense. Either you are for the war or against regardless of who is in office.

My final point: if more Republicans espoused the above, we would gain a lot more followers. I know there are many Reagan Democrats. These were former Republicans who left the party when the Evangelicals dominated starting in the mid-90's when Clinton went into office. There are a lot of Democrats who believe in smaller government, lowering taxes and emphasizing personal responsibility but they can't deal with the Christian Right and remain Democrats

Last edited by okccowboy; 04-04-2010 at 11:27 AM..

Old 04-04-2010, 11:20 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
Isn't it fascinating that not one Republican has responded to this question since you posted the question? I'm curious myself.

The fact that it's Easter Sunday couldn't possibly have anything to do with it eh?

Old 04-04-2010, 12:01 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,461,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Certainly Centrist Republicans like myself...
From what I can see, moderates seem to be regarded like "Uncle Toms" now by the ideology-driven "Base". Or as a Fundie poster once admonished another (less dogmatic) Republican here, "Because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth (Revelation 3:15, 16)"!

So just what do centrist Republicans do these days, "hold their nose" and vote "Republican" anyway regardless, or are there still any Republican candidates & issues left (local or national) that haven't been entirely co-opted by the extremists yet?

Old 04-04-2010, 12:05 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
I didn't think the tea partiers were into the conservative social issues and evangelicalism so much as just wanting less government and lower taxes. If that's the case I still don't see the difference with mainstream Republicans. Unless their lack of religious fervor and moralistic social agenda is the difference. Perhaps tea partiers are actually more palatable to social moderates than today's mainstream Republicans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies