Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:30 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Here's the official explanation from Rep. Johnson's office:

“I wasn’t suggesting that the island of Guam would literally tip over,” said Johnson. “I was using a metaphor to say that with the addition of 8,000 Marines and their dependents – an additional 80,000 people during peak construction to the port on the tiny island with a population of 180,000 – could be a tipping point which would adversely affect the island’s fragile ecosystem and over burden its already overstressed infrastructure.

“Having traveled to Guam last year, I saw firsthand how this beautiful – but vulnerable island – is already overburdened, and I was simply voicing my concerns that the addition of that many people could tip the delicate balance and do harm to Guam.”

Uh...no, Congressman. That's NOT what you said, unless you're afraid that fragile ecosystem will "capsize." Don't think I've ever heard of coral reef doing that.

ps: There is no mention of it on his office website.
That's fine, if he wants to go that route, I will accept it. It just means that socially, he is inept in his ability to properly communicate what he means. This would be an excuse for someone who doesn't speak the language, or someone mentally challenged. Since we have established he can speak the language, it only leaves us with the latter.

He might want to revise his comment again and just go with the stupid remark story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 10:33 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
Reportedly the guy has a serious illness. I think it's hepatitis C, which can lead to difficulty speaking and thinking clearly.

The video is fantastically funny. But now I feel bad for laughing if the guy is gravely ill.
If hepatitis C has effected his brain to the level of dementia that he believes an island will tip over and capsize because of its population he needs to turn over his seat to the voters and be replaced. Period.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:24 AM

698 posts, read 1,509,590 times
That was pretty bad on his part. The only thing I wonder is if this hearing was at very late night/early morning cause the hearings are scheduled 24/7 pretty much.

Of course that most likely is not the case. It was pretty hard for me to watch whole video. Remember we elected a guy of this caliber of intelligence as our president. Idiots are no stranger to American politics.

Last edited by HeyHolliday!; 04-01-2010 at 11:34 AM..

Old 04-01-2010, 11:25 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
This is a sad video and he almost sounds stoned or a little drunk. Barney Frank just sounds insane on the very edge of hysterics.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:33 AM

698 posts, read 1,509,590 times
On a side note this guy doesn't even compare to Democratic Senator Patty Murray of Washington State who is consistently ranked as the least intelligent congressman/congresswomen year after year.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:36 AM

971 posts, read 1,294,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Great, so one of his staff, the edjumacated one I guess, stepped up and revised the histrionics on this one. Well trained, that Donk machine.
Rep. Johnson is very well educated and a successful attorney. Dumb people can't get admitted to law school, can't graduate law school, and can't pass the Bar exam.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:52 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Dumb people can't get admitted to law school, can't graduate law school, and can't pass the Bar exam.

Nor can they grasp the concept of metaphor.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:14 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
VIDEO: Rep. Hank Johnson: Guam becoming so “overly populated that it would tip-over and capsize.”

YouTube - 3-25-2010_Hank_Johnson_Guam_Tip_Over.wmv

What are the odds this guy would actually think AGW is real?

Can get our military people a big fat raise. Between these ongoing wars and NOT being allowed to tell these brain surgeons on Capital Hill what time it is, they got it coming.

And last I heard those marines he's so worried about are the only reason he isn't asking his questions in Japanese.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:17 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Officer, in response: "...we don't anticipate that..."

I wonder how hard it was for the officer to keep a straight face when responding to the Congressman's 'fear.'

He probably could have told him we need to put the marines there to balance the load and called it a day.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:30 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Rep. Johnson is very well educated and a successful attorney. Dumb people can't get admitted to law school, can't graduate law school, and can't pass the Bar exam.

Some very smart people are completely stupid when it come to common sense. Or is this guy something like the firemen that could not pass a test yet they wanted to give them the jobs because they were minorities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies