U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-16-2010, 07:42 AM
 
69,919 posts, read 52,490,051 times
Reputation: 43078

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
"Have you seen the little piggies
Crawling in the dirt?
And for all the little piggies
Life is getting worse,
Always having dirt
To play around in.

Have you seen the bigger piggies
In their starched white shirts?
You will find the bigger piggies
Stirring up the dirt,
Always have clean shirts
To play around in.

In their sties, with all their backing,
They don't care what goes on around.
In their eyes, there's something lacking;
What they need's a damn good whacking!

Everywhere there's lots of piggies,
Living piggy lives.
You can see them out for dinner
With their piggy wives,
Clutching forks and knives
To eat their bacon."

Artist: The Beatles
Album: White Album
....and the Beatles are (or would be) worth a couple hundred million dollars each.

Enjoy the irony when listening to their music.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2010, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Hoboken
19,887 posts, read 17,998,653 times
Reputation: 3146
Ok so we want more jobs so we penalize the organizations that creat jobs. Makes sense to me!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2010, 07:55 AM
 
19,208 posts, read 14,601,191 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
....and the Beatles are (or would be) worth a couple hundred million dollars each.

Enjoy the irony when listening to their music.
Oooh!

Touchy, aren't we?

How would you like to make yours?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2010, 07:56 AM
 
13,749 posts, read 9,170,885 times
Reputation: 6654
If I was in charge of writing tax laws, I would cut the corporate tax rate to zero. I would eliminate all business, corporate, and investment taxes and just go with an economy wide VAT. I would also get rid of all subsidies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2010, 08:07 AM
 
69,919 posts, read 52,490,051 times
Reputation: 43078
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Oooh!

Touchy, aren't we?

How would you like to make yours?
Not touchy at all, I was actually laughing at the irony that the Beatles (and most of the rest of the 60's counter culture) are todays pigs.

It's great hearing all those old tunes being used to sell iphones, trucks and whatever else corporate america is pushing. Nothing wrong with it either, just ironic and funny.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2010, 08:13 AM
 
69,919 posts, read 52,490,051 times
Reputation: 43078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
If I was in charge of writing tax laws, I would cut the corporate tax rate to zero. I would eliminate all business, corporate, and investment taxes and just go with an economy wide VAT. I would also get rid of all subsidies.
That would certainly help prevent things like the "double irish".

As it stands a number of corporations just show their profits in low\no tax havens.

However, first you have to get past all the economics geniuses (many of them lurking around the politics forums) that don't understand that "punishing the fat cats" with higher taxes means they merely factor the higher taxes into the product. That product then costs more than their Chinese competitors so the US consumer buys from them and the US company either goes out of business (bye bye jobs) or moves it's operations overseas or avoids the taxes using techniques like the double irish.

VAT makes more and more sense in my opinion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2010, 08:18 AM
 
13,749 posts, read 9,170,885 times
Reputation: 6654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That would certainly help prevent things like the "double irish".

As it stands a number of corporations just show their profits in low\no tax havens.

However, first you have to get past all the economics geniuses (many of them lurking around the politics forums) that don't understand that "punishing the fat cats" with higher taxes means they merely factor the higher taxes into the product. That product then costs more than their Chinese competitors so the US consumer buys from them and the US company either goes out of business (bye bye jobs) or moves it's operations overseas or avoids the taxes using techniques like the double irish.

VAT makes more and more sense in my opinion.
I agree. I used to be a lefty who wanted to punish the rich and corporations, but that's just foolish. We need to make America the best place to invest and run a business.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2010, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
32,618 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Reputation: 10963
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Well, maybe the corporations could drop ObamaCare.

Corporations are Big Persons. The Supreme Court said so.
I suppose they can just cut out those taxes the feds will be taxing them to pay for 0bamaCare. Once the government creates a trillion dollar gob'mnt program, you cannot decide to opt out of paying taxes for it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2010, 08:25 AM
 
19,208 posts, read 14,601,191 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Not touchy at all, I was actually laughing at the irony that the Beatles (and most of the rest of the 60's counter culture) are todays pigs.

It's great hearing all those old tunes being used to sell iphones, trucks and whatever else corporate america is pushing. Nothing wrong with it either, just ironic and funny.
The pigs devoured the Beatles, as they were attempting to do in the 60's.

The grunting noises are still with us, and difficult to escape.

Big Church, Big Business, Big Government.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2010, 08:30 AM
 
19,208 posts, read 14,601,191 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That would certainly help prevent things like the "double irish".

As it stands a number of corporations just show their profits in low\no tax havens.

However, first you have to get past all the economics geniuses (many of them lurking around the politics forums) that don't understand that "punishing the fat cats" with higher taxes means they merely factor the higher taxes into the product. That product then costs more than their Chinese competitors so the US consumer buys from them and the US company either goes out of business (bye bye jobs) or moves it's operations overseas or avoids the taxes using techniques like the double irish.

VAT makes more and more sense in my opinion.
A VAT is a sales tax squared.

Who could afford it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:43 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top