Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:37 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post

Then he is NOT better than them. He is a bully too. What the hell is wrong with you people? Violence is not the answer. It NEVER is.

Defending yourself makes you a bully? On what planet?

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but sometimes violence is the ONLY answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
I'm pretty fed up with you kit glove soccer moms coming on here crying for arrests and legal actions !!...on kids of all people!!!
you suck..
Have you never heard of juvenile court? TPing someone's house is vandalism; stealing their bike is theft.

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
I'm pretty fed up with you kit glove soccer moms coming on here crying for arrests and legal actions !!...on kids of all people!!!
you suck..
Obviously you don't know the serious effects bullying has on people.

It is not the victim's fault for being bullied. Nobody wants to bring that misery upon them.

True, most instances of bullying should not call for police to get involved. They could be solved through school administrators punishing the bullies.

But in the case where there are repeated physical attacks, constant harassment and virtual harassment, and throwing things at people, a line is crossed and then I believe authorities should get involved.

In the recent cases of bullies leading to suicides, not once have I objected to the bullies (kids) being charged.

They clearly know what they are doing is wrong and that they crossed a line.

Bullying can cause serious life long effects on self confidence and others attitudes, somewhat destroying their potential to live a full life.

So if these bullies get their lives somewhat ruined over their actions, I have no sympathy.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
Would you also be proud if your kid lost his college scholarship because he got suspended for standing up to a bully?
Since he's only 7 years old and in second grade, I doubt that'll be an issue.

In any case, even if he did suffer some consquences from doing the right thing, I'd STILL be proud of him for standing up for himself. I'd be prouder yet if he did in defense of some other kid.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
What a load of macho bs.

Pick on the weak and if you're too weak to defend yourself, too bad.

And what if you're a woman, what then?

What? Girls can't fight back too?

Old 04-01-2010, 10:46 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
So where does the individual responsibility lay with the teachers and principals who don't do their jobs and try to prevent bullying and provide a safe environment for the students? I guess individual responsibility is only placed on the victims' shoulders right?
What are you suggesting, straightjackets?

Schools are like prison.

Go up to the worst bully and beat the schit out of it in front of everyone.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:48 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Is a good A**whooping part of becoming a woman too?

Old 04-01-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Is a good A**whooping part of becoming a woman too?

It wouldn't hurt. But, since I'm not a woman, you tell me.

By the way, I raised two daughters to defend themselves and they never had a problem with bullying that they couldn't handle without involving the police.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:52 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Are you a girl?

I was a pretty confident gal growing up, but bullying can reallllly mess with your head. Not just physical stuff, but the little things that other people say can stick in your brain forever. I feel silly admitting this, but I haven't worn my hair naturally (it's really curly and frizzy) since Jr. High. I got made fun of and bullied by numerous other people regarding my hair and to this day (10 years later) I still feel uncomfortable wearing it naturally.

Maybe it's a girl/boy thing.... I did get in a fight in jr. high with a 'bully'. Broke his nose. Got suspended, lost my Quota club scholarship etc etc. The schools punishment wasn't too bad, but the fact that I was completely ostrasized for most of high school was a bit of an issue. Open animosity for the 3 years I went...I ended up leaving early and graduating from continuation a year early.

It really is horrible, and simply punching a bully might temporarily solve the problem, but the reprocussions could last much, much longer.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:55 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Hmmm Society has sunk to a new low.
On 1 hand you have those who believe that the authority figures should work it out. The Police, the school principal etc.
If your child fights back and wins then he or she is a bully. If they simply take the abuse as per the parents teachings then they are a victim and someone should save them.
News flash. Those in authority don't want to get involved, won't get involved unless they absolutely must.
My son was the victim of a bully and of the system that refused to get involved. Oh yeah that did wonders for his self esteem. His mother is a pacifist born again christian and decided we should all pray about it as an answer.
Me? I am a combat VET with a lot of training. I taught my son Karate and Jujitsu. Come his Jr. year the same old idots decided it was Jon's turn in the barrel again. This time it had a different outcome.
Guess what he still got his scholarship and the rest of his time in school he went unmolested.
The turn the other cheek crap does not work. The pacifist approach of if you hurt me I'll tell does not work.
Sometimes an violence is the only answer. As a father I never wanted my son to know pain emotional or physical. I never wanted him to be humiliated or tormented. In a perfect world that would be a reality. The fact remains that some people only understand violence. They only respect strength. They do not recognize the ability to absorb punishment and pain as strength. My greatest regret is not teaching the boy sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies