Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 12:07 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Man, you truly are clueless, aren't you? Where the hell do you think Columbine is? Clue: it ain't "in the ghetto".
one example from 15 years ago does not set a precedent....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 12:12 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
And you are the expert? I find it hard to believe that normal white kids are bringing knives and guns to school in record amounts these days.... Just really doubt it
Heath High School, Paducah, KY.

Heath High School shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-02-2010, 12:16 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Cant blame some HS kid if they bullied someone, and then they killed themselves.

Guy should be a man and fist fight them or something. Not just commit suicide cause some guy calls you a name. Sticks and stones can break your bones, but words cant hurt you. what happened to that?
Are you appointing yourself the spokesman for bullies?

Old 04-02-2010, 12:19 AM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
one example from 15 years ago does not set a precedent....
OK - Here's another one for you. This one hit close to MY HOME. 12 miles to be exact. I am friends with one of the responding officers at this scene. It was very ugly. He even had "suicide bullets" taped to his chest for the moment of truth once he had wasted all of his ammo. He knew he was going to die. But he didn't.

CNN - Teen jailed after Oregon high school shooting spree - May 21, 1998

Old 04-02-2010, 12:23 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,148 times
Quote:
Cant blame some HS kid if they bullied someone, and then they killed themselves.

Guy should be a man and fist fight them or something. Not just commit suicide cause some guy calls you a name. Sticks and stones can break your bones, but words cant hurt you. what happened to that?
Usually bullies are cowards. They select a much weaker opponent. The person targeted often is shy, withdrawn and has low self-esteem. This makes it easy for the bully to continue the cycle.

While it might seem logical to you that defending oneself would break the cycle, you are missing the point that a weaker, shy, person with no self-confidence is usually NOT CAPABLE of fighting back.

I will acknowledge that sometimes fighting works. In school I carried a switchblade, almost killed another student in response to an attack, and soon everyone knew I was "crazy" and they left me alone. In contrast, my friend fought back, but was gang attacked and stomped to death. While self-defense is a necessary evil, it is preferable to try to use the school system first to try to stop bullying.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:41 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:

They took it personal and they shouldn't have done that. The nerve of some people to have feelings. shame on them. they should be tough as nails. every one else is.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 04-02-2010 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: yep

Old 04-02-2010, 12:53 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times
Quote:
People respect people who have principle and will fight. Even if you get your ass kicked, if you will fight someone, they would definitely leave you alone.

Fighting makes trouble and if they know some guy is willing to fight them, they will just move on
"if you will fight someone, they would definitely leave you alone"

That's not true, and if you think so you probably grew up in a pretty tame neighborhood. Where I went to school, kids who fought back were liable to get their faces stomped by 3 or 4 kids.

This isn't some fantasyland where bullies have personal codes of honor and will back down from kids who show some pluck & courage. Bullying is a problem, and to place the blame on the people victimized (how funny that you admitted that when you made this post you weren't even familiar with the story) is despicable and reeks of ignorance. You're wrong, just give it up.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:10 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:

What a compassion human being you are, you give me hope for mankind.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:47 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Usually bullies are cowards. They select a much weaker opponent. The person targeted often is shy, withdrawn and has low self-esteem. This makes it easy for the bully to continue the cycle.

While it might seem logical to you that defending oneself would break the cycle, you are missing the point that a weaker, shy, person with no self-confidence is usually NOT CAPABLE of fighting back.

I will acknowledge that sometimes fighting works. In school I carried a switchblade, almost killed another student in response to an attack, and soon everyone knew I was "crazy" and they left me alone. In contrast, my friend fought back, but was gang attacked and stomped to death. While self-defense is a necessary evil, it is preferable to try to use the school system first to try to stop bullying.
Bingo... Its already been beat out of them.
Take a dog. Any breed will do. But we will use a big bad ass breed like a Rottwieler. As a young dog its master beats it humiliates it torments it.
You end up with an adult dog with poor bladder control anytime someone looks at it.
Humans are no different. What does make us different is the ability to rise above our base instincts. We should fight for the weaker people who can't fight for themselves. Its too bad that most people are content to be spectators. Oh they might talk after the fact about how wrong it was but in reality many people enjoy watching a so called geek get humiliated.
I witnessed a group of bulleys tormenting a short fat boy. They took it to a level I had not seen in a long time. First the pushing then the cuffing then right into a good beat down. I was not the only adult within earshot, but I was the only adult to jump in. They had this poor kid on the ground screaming . The ever popular wedgy that tears the underpants right off the kid. Kicking him. So someone please tell me how this boy was supposed to fight back against 4 bigger kids? I ended up giving him a ride home. The bullies ran when I yelled at them, of course.
This is the reality for many kids. I was once one of them so I know first hand what its like. Everyday until I was in 10th grade was a day like the Boy I helped. There is seldom a rescue, I even had teachers laughing when it happened.
Its a damn shame so many think this is all part of growing up.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:40 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:
People respect people who have principle and will fight. Even if you get your ass kicked, if you will fight someone, they would definitely leave you alone.

Fighting makes trouble and if they know some guy is willing to fight them, they will just move on
ITG-Internet Tough Guy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies