Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 12:40 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
And you are the expert? I find it hard to believe that normal white kids are bringing knives and guns to school in record amounts these days.... Just really doubt it
Define 'normal white kids'.

We see news reports wherein children stumble into dad or mom's stashed gun. No, these kids aren't packing heat every day, but might not think twice of bringing it to school for a 'special occasion.'

I used to carry a Swiss Army knife in my purse all the time going back 30+ years ago. Not for the knife, but for the cork screw and bottle opener! I was in a 99% white suburban LI, NY school district which was solidly middle class. By all definitions we were 'normal white kids'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 12:43 PM

790 posts, read 1,733,296 times
I think you have to be very brave or stupid to be a bully in America with all the bullied kids that snap and go postal these days.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:45 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You've obviously never been to the edge, so you can't call this play armchair quarterback. I was pushed thisclose as a bullied teen. It is the darkest place in your heart that you would ever want to visit. When things are that bad that you are physically sickened, your grades slip, your belongings defiled, your body injured and no one will come to your aid, no matter how much you ask or your parents intervene -- a soul goes there.

I would bet that Phoebe Prince tried fighting off her rapist. Who knows the full extent of what transpired? Given the electronics available to kids, they might have taken pictures of her while this happened and posted them. This poor child was new to this country, unfamiliar with the local way of doing things, spoke with an accent and was attractive. She was live bait thrown to a bunch of sharks.

Sometimes the victim can't fight back -- one victim against 4, 5, 9 aggressors? What is the outcome going to be? Good grief we have young girls attacking others randomly and posting it on Youtube! Just think what these animals would do if given the chance to beat up their victim.

Kids these days, huh?
I can't say I've ever been pushed to the edge, but I dealt with another level of bullying, one where the system held you down and the principle didn't like you for whatever reason, effectively having you in the corner, and favoritism playing it's part in favor of those against you. I know it's sad, but it doesn't matter if it's 50 people against you, YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! It does matter if you don't fight them because if you don't they know you won't defend yourself, they'll keep doing it, and it'll get worse because your now a "toy" to them. And what those monsters did to Phoebe Prince, they ought to be treated in the same manner they treated her, a little frontier justice would have done them good.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:48 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I dont get bullied because I am not afraid to beat some ***. Sorry bro, but i consider suicide to be for the mentally weak. I have no pity on those who do it. I believe in identifying a problem and dealing with it. Not killing yourself...

I also believe that a man has to stand up for himself. If they are at the point of suicide, why cant they simply fight whoever is the bully? They obviously dont care about consequences if they are gonna kill themselves.

Its a cowards way out and I have no sympathy
Boy, if I'd met you when I was 14 in the mid 70s, gay, sexually abused in my youth, physically and emotionally abused at home, impoverished, alone, ridiculed at school, threatened, unable to tell my parents or anyone else what I felt or was going through, I would have killed myself with certainty like I wanted to every freaking day. You would have pushed me over the edge with your heartlessness. Please do not ever reproduce.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Charles Andrew Williams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Williams attended Santana High School in Santee, where he was allegedly bullied by fellow students.[1] He began to spend time with a crowd of skateboarders. Williams was accepted within this peer group; however, at times these individuals also bullied him.
SignOnSanDiego Metro | Santana High School shooting -- Study shows bullying old problem at Santana High
Surveys of Santana students, parents and school staff done in 1999 showed threats, intimidation, theft and other forms of bullying were part of life on and off campus.
About one-third of 1,200 students surveyed said they had been the target of abusive behavior. Nearly half said they retaliated in some way.
One in five students appeared to be "true" bullying victims who were repeatedly targeted, more often girls than boys, said the report.
Of all students surveyed, about 11 percent said they had brought a weapon to campus. Many said they forgot they had the weapon with them. More more than one-third brought it for protection and 11 percent brought it for "intimidation."

Old 04-02-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I was a teenager once. It did not make me incapable of rational though IIRC. I was smart, independent and didn't give a flip what anybody thought about me. And I certainly would not have been bullied to the point of suicide. This is the kind of crap that happens when family is replaced by friends.

20yrsinBranson
Painting every family with the same broad brush?

Old 04-02-2010, 02:00 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Actually when I got mad at my college roommate and his friend for bullying me. They blamed me by saying "You can't blame us for your problems." Some rumor that I must have had prior issues made it okay. to bully me around and treat me with disrespect. So people like you who have the "doing, undoing" defense mechanism make problems much much worse.
I don't think you quite get what I was trying to convey, or perhaps I didn't convey myself very well. There is a difference between typical childhood teasing which all kids go through and downright bullying, neither of which I am in favor of, but it's important to know the difference, especially when accusations are being flung about.

The point of my post was to show that there are indeed cases (well at least this one that I know of) where kids are wrongfully accused of being bullies. I would even venture to say that this is probably quite rare. Yes, this kid wasn't the most popular, but NO complaints were ever made either to school officials, teachers, or to police until after he committed suicide. Then it was a witch hunt to lynch the people who caused this child to commit suicide, when in sad fact it probably had more to do with his years of debilitating mental illness and depression than anything any kid said or did to him. The parents in this particular case wanted someone to blame, and that's a pretty human emotion after tragically losing a child. It's just that, in doing so, there are also unintended innocent victims. That's all I was trying to say.

I am not insensitive. I know what it's like to be teased and bullied. The cases in the news break my heart. Kids can be intolerably cruel, and I would venture to say that the emotional, psychological, and cyberbullying that kids face today are far worse than the pop to the jaw that kids had to face back in the day. The internet has become a vehicle for bullies to further terrorize unfortunately.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:05 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,607 times
To quote Mr. Miyagi, "One on one fight is one thing, one on six fight is not fair" As a kid I've had groups of kids try to bully me, never had one kid do it on his own. Majority of bullies are cowards and will never go at it alone. Actually one kid tried to one time and I clobbered him. Never tried it again.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I can't say I've ever been pushed to the edge, but I dealt with another level of bullying, one where the system held you down and the principle didn't like you for whatever reason, effectively having you in the corner, and favoritism playing it's part in favor of those against you. I know it's sad, but it doesn't matter if it's 50 people against you, YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! It does matter if you don't fight them because if you don't they know you won't defend yourself, they'll keep doing it, and it'll get worse because your now a "toy" to them. And what those monsters did to Phoebe Prince, they ought to be treated in the same manner they treated her, a little frontier justice would have done them good.
This is about bullying, not about "the principal didn't like me" or "I'm not a Mormon so they picked on me." Not to diminish your experience, but it appears to be apples in an oranges scenario.

I have been there and I TRIED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. The school nurse was my safe haven. My parents confronted the school staff. Teachers turned a blind eye. The principal couldn't do anything because 'no one saw anything, my word against theirs."

Torn clothing, claw marks on my arms, the janitors cleaning foul stuff off my locker apparently wasn't evidence enough. The bullies were considered innocent; I had to prove I was! Honors student whose grades take a nose dive, physical evidence, and a school nurse vouching that I was in there getting sick several times a week weren't enough. The one teacher who witnessed me being physically assaulted during chorus could have brought this to an end. She was looking up at my section and looked right into my eyes as a set of nails came from behind grabbing my earring, ear and hair. The pain was intense and tears welled in my eyes. I asked to be excused and headed to the nurse to report the incident. She in turn sent me to the assistant principal where I repeated what occurred. Time passed, and my parents were told that NO ONE SAW it happen.

Do you know what it feels like to be made out to be a liar when all of your life you've been raised to be truthful? Do you know what it feels like to be 13 and have a respected adult turn their back on you? Do you know what it feels like to watch your parents try to fight the system on your behalf, only to be told 'it's your daughter's word against theirs?'

Children tend to blame themselves when bad things happen. I was no different. Only thing I can tell you is to this day I have no idea why they started bullying me.

You stand up against 4, 5, 50 bullies. Let me know how it works out for you. If you're fortunate, you'll have your face rearranged in such a fashion that you'll resemble a Picasso masterpiece. If you're unlucky, you will be beaten to a pulp, possibly raped (girl or boy) or sodomized with foreign objects. Perhaps you'll wind up dead for your trouble.

This is about peers bullying peers. About packs of malicious teens, savoring the havoc they wreak upon others, and who seem to get a thrill from prolonging the pain. This is about children who have been bullied on many levels -- physical and psychological, in real life and online.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:51 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
This is about bullying, not about "the principal didn't like me" or "I'm not a Mormon so they picked on me." Not to diminish your experience, but it appears to be apples in an oranges scenario.

I have been there and I TRIED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. The school nurse was my safe haven. My parents confronted the school staff. Teachers turned a blind eye. The principal couldn't do anything because 'no one saw anything, my word against theirs."

Torn clothing, claw marks on my arms, the janitors cleaning foul stuff off my locker apparently wasn't evidence enough. The bullies were considered innocent; I had to prove I was! Honors student whose grades take a nose dive, physical evidence, and a school nurse vouching that I was in there getting sick several times a week weren't enough. The one teacher who witnessed me being physically assaulted during chorus could have brought this to an end. She was looking up at my section and looked right into my eyes as a set of nails came from behind grabbing my earring, ear and hair. The pain was intense and tears welled in my eyes. I asked to be excused and headed to the nurse to report the incident. She in turn sent me to the assistant principal where I repeated what occurred. Time passed, and my parents were told that NO ONE SAW it happen.

Do you know what it feels like to be made out to be a liar when all of your life you've been raised to be truthful? Do you know what it feels like to be 13 and have a respected adult turn their back on you? Do you know what it feels like to watch your parents try to fight the system on your behalf, only to be told 'it's your daughter's word against theirs?'

Children tend to blame themselves when bad things happen. I was no different. Only thing I can tell you is to this day I have no idea why they started bullying me.

You stand up against 4, 5, 50 bullies. Let me know how it works out for you. If you're fortunate, you'll have your face rearranged in such a fashion that you'll resemble a Picasso masterpiece. If you're unlucky, you will be beaten to a pulp, possibly raped (girl or boy) or sodomized with foreign objects. Perhaps you'll wind up dead for your trouble.

This is about peers bullying peers. About packs of malicious teens, savoring the havoc they wreak upon others, and who seem to get a thrill from prolonging the pain. This is about children who have been bullied on many levels -- physical and psychological, in real life and online.
You apparently didn't see the point I'm making, what I'm saying is, at times the environment is overwhelmingly in the bully's favor, because they have connections, favoritism. School staff turned a blind eye to what was done to me at times. I'm not trying in the slightest to downplay your experience, I feel for you. But you have to defend yourself sooner or later, nobody should let themselves be at the mercy of tyrants. I know all too well what it is like to be raised to have honor and honesty and being made out to be the liar, I know what it's like to have some punk come at you with a sharpened pencils, rocks, books, whatever. Bullies do these things to feed their sick ego, and someone has to break that ego to in turn prevent many broken a psyche and life. I was just a kid during the dawn of the internet, so the only internet was dial-up, so cyber bullying was years away (I never was FYI), but it was also a big reason why I decided not to join social networking sites because of all the dangers involving jerks and weirdos.

You have to show them that your as mad as Hell, AND YOUR NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE! It's all they know, and you show that to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies