Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2007, 09:29 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,457,668 times

Advertisements

MIDWEST CITY, Okla. -- A former Home Depot employee said the company fired him and three other workers because they helped police catch several suspected shoplifters in May.

Man Says Home Depot Fired Workers For Catching Thieves - News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 07:05 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,461,993 times
Just another reason to boycott Home Depot. I don't know why anyone will shop there when Home Depots aid in illegal immigration. They have permanently lost my business.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:07 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,011,794 times
From the article: "An internal memo from Home Depot outlines that associates cannot accuse, detain, chase or call the police on any customer for shoplifting."

Anyone else think this is awesome news?!? Looks like I won't be paying for home improvement products anymore. Sweet!!!

Old 06-07-2007, 08:08 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,011,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Just another reason to boycott Home Depot. I don't know why anyone will shop there when Home Depots aid in illegal immigration. They have permanently lost my business.
See the quote I posted above. That's why I'm still going to "shop" there!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:13 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,306,041 times
I think what the memo meant was that no employee is supposed to physically detain or chase the shoplifter because the employee has a potential to be involved in a violent altercation. (which I have seen working retail myself)
And they are not supposed to accuse someone of shoplifting because they could potentially open HD up to a lawsuit if the person accused was indeed NOT shoplifting.
This is the job of the store security.

BUT the HD managers who fired the employees were too DENSE to understand their own policies!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:16 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,461,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
See the quote I posted above. That's why I'm still going to "shop" there!

Hey you got a good point there! I need to get me a pair of those huge baggin' & saggin" pants, they might hide a paint can.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:10 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,608,382 times
I hope Lowes build a store near here. In the meantime I buy most of my hardware stuff from the store that has been here forever even if it costs a little more.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:18 PM

2,434 posts, read 6,665,041 times
I have a neighbor that works for Lowes. They have a very similar policy. Team members are not allowed to ever confront a shoplifter. Ever, under any circumstances. If a thief steals something and it sets off the door sensors all the employees can do is ask if the suspect if he accidentally forgot to purchase an item. Even security can't arrest or detain a shoplifter unless they actually see the suspect take the product, and the suspect never leaves their line of sight, for even a second. If a shoplifter rapidly turns a corner and security loses sight of the suspect for even a second they are not allowed to detain the suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies