Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 09:46 PM

757 posts, read 802,949 times

Advertisements

You are forced to buy auto insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
If your argument is that the government regulates everything else, why not health care, it fails.

The government may regulate the purchase of my car in many ways. However, no one is forcing me to buy a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 09:48 PM

948 posts, read 894,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
Homeopathic Nutritional supplements are not regulated by the FDA.
Just let one of them say they cure something and see how fast the FDA is knocking on their door with fines and lawsuits. Only DRUGS can cure people. Sorry, let me rephrase that. Drugs can only alleviate symptoms causing other symptoms leading to more drugs needed which the FDA all get paid on.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Can I grow fruit in my backyard and take it to a market and sell it without govt interference? No taxes? No inspections?

I don't grow food so I don't know.

If so then 12-step meetings and farmer markets are the only TWO things I can think of that the govt doesn't have its hands in .
I pay no taxes, I have to submit to no inspections. I'm a small time operator..the egg sales cover feed/shavings/egg cartons.

Farmers take good care of their animals and their crops.
These are not big guys like Cargill and such. They want you to come back; wouldn't be a very profitable business if they killed off their customers..would it ?

Geeze the government has many of you scared off...I trust the local farmers 100% more than any produce you find in the supermarket.

All the food sickness has come from government inspected food and government inspected plants.

How well can the government inspect Big Ag and mass production and mass harvesting ?

And about my chickens..they get wormed once per year during Christmas vacation when they are not laying..any eggs I get in that 2 week period go to the dogs (2nd hand wormer ). My girls have a nice protected yard, plenty of access to grass and bugs and I give them anything extra I have in the house (leftovers). The yolks are almost a deep orange and the shell is nice and hard; go try to find something like that in the store - even the "organic" labeled eggs are pale yolks indicating lack of sun (vit D).

In the next year or two I plan to direct sell beef and use a custom butcher to "do the work". Again..direct sales aren't regulated.

Texas respects the small farmer.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Those are taxed if you sell them though. Right?
Most transactions between two private citizens are not subject to taxation. I believe you are thinking if these items were bought/sold through a business.

948 posts, read 894,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

And about my chickens..they get wormed once per year during Christmas vacation when they are not laying..any eggs I get in that 2 week period go to the dogs (2nd hand wormer ). My girls have a nice protected yard, plenty of access to grass and bugs and I give them anything extra I have in the house (leftovers). The yolks are almost a deep orange and the shell is nice and hard; go try to find something like that in the store - even the "organic" labeled eggs are pale yolks indicating lack of sun (vit D).
Can I order these eggs online or just come pick them up? I'm in Houston.

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Newspapers from the homeless man on the street who probably stole them from an official distributor who showed up late for work.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Can I grow fruit in my backyard and take it to a market and sell it without govt interference? No taxes? No inspections?

I don't grow food so I don't know.

If so then 12-step meetings and farmer markets are the only TWO things I can think of that the govt doesn't have its hands in .
Oh but they tried...there was that Food Safety Bill and NAIS. Thankfully both petered out and died (for now). Both of those bills were takeover attempts by the government to regulate and control small holders.

I follow this stuff and was active in trying to get the word out.
NAIS was the worst...big Ag, who have the food problems, didn't have to tag each and every animal but anyone with backyard livestock had to register and tag each and every animal and it could not leave the property unless the government gave the OK. This even included horses. The Food Safety Bill was another one that would have closed down many a Farmer's Market because it would have been cost prohibitive.

Now if you make something with your produce..like jelly or jam then regulations do kick in..but the raw berries can be sold without.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGL1 View Post
Can I order these eggs online or just come pick them up? I'm in Houston.
LOL..I'll have one of my girls fly them down to you

Here..just type in Houston, TX and you can find your very own farmer. If you stay local then it's easier to shop weekly. If you have to travel an hour out of your way you probably won't make the switchover to small local farmers.
(16 farmers markets in the Houston area).

Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food

For anyone else..this is nationwide.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:10 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I'm no bowling leaguer, but aren't the size, weight, and materials used to make them regulated?
I dunno. They had all different kinds in the shop. I just got tired of looking for an alley ball that would fit my hand. So I bought my own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies