Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 07:02 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Oh please!!!!
You asked for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 08:20 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
We are not born wearing eyeglasses, sunglasses, artificial limbs... clothes... don't start down that road, ok.

H
Eyeglasses, artificial limbs, hearing aids, etc are for the purpose of helping people with disabilities lead normal lives. What is the purpose of body piercings?

Old 04-03-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Wrong. A teller at my bank has a number of facial piercings and a rather wild haircut. As a French Horn player the thought of voluntarily putting holes in my lips.... shudder... but, just because it's not for me... people who can be live and let live about what other people do with their bodies are cool. Not everyone aspires to be 'corporate'. Telling them that their obvious tattoo's and/or piercings are impediments to corporate style employment... well you can see how well that advice goes over. Why is ear piercing acceptable Harry? I wonder if you will venture your theories about homosexual connections the next time you share an elevator with an NBA player.

H
ONE teller has a bunch of piercings and a wild haircut - exception versus the norm. Most employers would be reluctant to hire someone with obvious body piercings or anything that would constitute an unprofessional demeaner and there is nothing neurotic nor controlling about that fact.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Eyeglasses, artificial limbs, hearing aids, etc are for the purpose of helping people with disabilities lead normal lives. What is the purpose of body piercings?
Chatteress, there is no physical benefit or purpose to having piercings or tattoos, it just is. It's how some people express themselves. They're not demons, they're not evil, they're people like you & I. Like I said, I have 3 tattoos & I got all 3 of them at certain important times in my life & they all mean something to me & not one of them did I get out of a generic tattoo book at the tattoo parlor.

I don't understand this repulsion by piercings or tattoos...geez, I could say that I've met people w/piercings & tattoos who I have thought were beyond foul & others I really liked. There's no basic "guide" to it.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Chatteress, there is no physical benefit or purpose to having piercings or tattoos, it just is. It's how some people express themselves. They're not demons, they're not evil, they're people like you & I. Like I said, I have 3 tattoos & I got all 3 of them at certain important times in my life & they all mean something to me & not one of them did I get out of a generic tattoo book at the tattoo parlor.

I don't understand this repulsion by piercings or tattoos...geez, I could say that I've met people w/piercings & tattoos who I have thought were beyond foul & others I really liked. There's no basic "guide" to it.
I never stated that those with tattoos or piercings are evil or demonic. I was stating how I just don't understand how people can mar their bodies and do it in such a bizarre way. I also don't understand this fixation with pain that these folks have.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I never stated that those with tattoos or piercings are evil or demonic. I was stating how I just don't understand how people can mar their bodies and do it in such a bizarre way. I also don't understand this fixation with pain that these folks have.
Sorry, I lumped you in w/a couple other posters on this thread. LOL, well I will admit that when I got my piercing it did hurt. But so did my ear piercing & so far it seems like most people are ok w/ear piercings. Tattoos aren't so much painful as they are annoying, but as soon as it's done you're all good & you have a nice reminder of someone or something.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:36 AM

530 posts, read 780,107 times
I have noticed at the hospital where I work more and more people from the docs to the assistive staff with tatts and peircings, some who have them cover them up b/c they make a few patients uncomfortable others let them show, either way I don't know what their individual motivations were for getting modifications but mine all mean something important to me and I have never regretted any of them.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:12 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
Quote:
No firm evidence exists that body piercing indicates mental illness, but doctors might consider screening patients with body piercings for high-risk behaviors and for psychiatric symptoms,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
It's been around for a loooonnng time....
Sounds like these doctors might have been those white coats supporting the ObamadontCare, looking for more nanny victims.

Piercings and tattoos have been around longer than anglos. Sounds to me more like a cultural development process.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:59 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I learned a long time ago to never judge a person by appearances, it's completely unimportant to me.

People who believe so,have an unpleasant appearance...

Old 04-05-2010, 10:44 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
People who believe so,have an unpleasant appearance...
Right, must be. Appearances can be improved. But what to do about stoopid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies