Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 12:53 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Oh, and I thought it was just to chum the corporate waters for campaign donations with our kid's borrowed money.

Here's what Clinton gave us...

CRA mandates for Fannie and Freddie
NAFTA
Most favorde nation trading status for China made permanent
GLBA (repealed Glass-Steigall)
CFMA (deregulated CDOs)

Your turn!
Clinton's reform of CRA made it so banks couldn't loan unreasonable sums of money. See: Lloyd Bensten.

NAFTA I will rip Clinton for, but keep in mind, Bush Sr and the RW endorsed it at the time.

The fact China was made a permanent economic kingpin is irrelevant. Bush was the one that borrowed at his arse from them putting us in debt.

Graham Leach Biley essentially prevented monopolies in the banking industry and only repealed parts of Glass-Stegall. If not for it, you could count on the economic meltdown happening quicker, longer and worse.

CFMA was passed by a Republican congress and house and the end of his presidency. Clinton begrudgingly signed it, likely to boost chances for Gore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 12:54 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Did any democrat before Bush say iraq had wmds? Did any democrat while Bush was president agree that Iraq had wmds? Yes or no a simple answer to both would be nice

Thank you
I don't have audio on my computer but if they did, it was likely a result of them being told by the president and those in charge they did. In times of crisis, it's best not to play partisan games.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:54 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post

Bigger deficit...Obama
Necessary to dig us out of the Depression spiral that Bush left us in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew

More world hatred of US...Obama
You really can't be serious about this, can you? I'd ask for a cite, but I know it would be useless.
Quote:

More poverty and homlessness...Obama
Ok, here I really have to ask for a cite. And please provide one that shows that poverty and homelessness today, is a direct result of policies and/or actions taken by the Obama administration and not carryovers from the Bush administration.
Quote:

More job loss....Obama
Do you ever bother to check facts before you just make ridiculous assertions?

Quote:

Do I blame Bush? For being a massive spender just like Obama...you betcha.
Well at least there's that.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:01 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wow..the Dems are getting themselves all riled up over a parody song by two amateurs.
They did a good job of it for amateurs. So what that they have opposing opinions; they are allowed you know..this is still America and Congress has not repealed Freedom of Speech just yet.

Chill..it was just a song by 2 normal joe's.
I haven't even watched it. I am just challenging the idea that the mess we are in now is Obama's fault.

And really? Free speech? You tube is privately owned. Free speech doesn't apply, not that I have seen anyone here say they should be silenced. Make stuff up much?

Have you seen someone say they should be silenced? I think you should ask yourself that question and then ask yourself who is really becoming "riled up" over a video.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:04 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Did any of the aforementioned people in the video advocate an all out war? The ones that did were directly lied to by Bush. God forbid somebody looks past partisanship and does something they think will better the nation.

If they only knew they were blatantly lied to.

They not only advocated it, they voted for it.

Do you have proof that Bush lied to the entire Congress (including the intelligence committee) and the entire world to start a war?

Do you honestly believe that intelligence briefings are edited by the president before being submitted to Congress?

Clinton sat on his hands after we were successfully attacked by the same al Qaeda five times during his presidency. His response was to fire a few missiles into an empty valley in Afghanistan and allow a 25% attrition rate at the CIA.

If Clinton had the kahunas that Dubya had he would have gone into any nation where al Qaeda operates and destroyed them and their ability to attack our civilian populations. He would have doubled down on our CIA after the 1993 attack. He would have taken the heat from the far left liberals in his own party and done the right thing for the nation. But he didn't do that. He punted to Bush.

Democrats invented the "Bush lies" when the war became unpopular. Since people were working, it was the next logical area for sleazy leftists to attack.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I don't have audio on my computer but if they did, it was likely a result of them being told by the president and those in charge they did. In times of crisis, it's best not to play partisan games.

Do you not realize the CIA briefs Congress?

Do you think the CIA stopped by the White House on the way to Capital Hill to rewrite their intellegence briefings to the liking of Bush?

Old 04-04-2010, 01:27 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:

Do you have proof that Bush lied to the entire Congress (including the intelligence committee) and the entire world to start a war?

Do you honestly believe that intelligence briefings are edited by the president before being submitted to Congress?
[....]
Democrats invented the "Bush lies" when the war became unpopular. Since people were working, it was the next logical area for sleazy leftists to attack.
Quote:
Do you not realize the CIA briefs Congress?

Do you think the CIA stopped by the White House on the way to Capital Hill to rewrite their intellegence briefings to the liking of Bush?
What Was Congress Told?
[....]
The intelligence to which Bush refers is contained in a top-secret document that was made available to all members of Congress in October 2002, days before the House and Senate voted to authorize Bush to use force in Iraq. This so-called National Intelligence Estimate was supposed to be the combined US intelligence community's "most authoritative written judgment concerning a specific national security issue," according to the Senate Intelligence Committee. The report was titled "Iraq's Continuing Programs for Weapons of Mass Destruction."

Though most of the document remains classified, the "Key Judgments" section and some other paragraphs were cleared and released publicly in July, 2003. The most recent and complete version available to the public can be read on the Web site of The George Washington University's National Security Archive, which got it from the CIA under the Freedom of Information Act.
[....]
FactCheck.org: Iraq: What Did Congress Know, And When? - citing a slew of transcripts and reports.

The "most recent and complete version available to the public" is here: CIA Whites Out Controversial Estimate on Iraq Weapons

There's plenty of heavily referenced detail at that FactCheck page.... enjoy.

Last edited by delusianne; 04-04-2010 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: added mo'm's earlier post.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Clinton's reform of CRA made it so banks couldn't loan unreasonable sums of money. See: Lloyd Bensten.

NAFTA I will rip Clinton for, but keep in mind, Bush Sr and the RW endorsed it at the time.

The fact China was made a permanent economic kingpin is irrelevant. Bush was the one that borrowed at his arse from them putting us in debt.

Graham Leach Biley essentially prevented monopolies in the banking industry and only repealed parts of Glass-Stegall. If not for it, you could count on the economic meltdown happening quicker, longer and worse.

CFMA was passed by a Republican congress and house and the end of his presidency. Clinton begrudgingly signed it, likely to boost chances for Gore.

"By replacing paperwork requirements with performance tests, this package would stimulate bank lending, investment and service in low and moderate income communities."

Reducing paperwork requirements = NINJA loans.

http://clinton6.nara.gov/1993/12/199...ubin.text.html

"The fact China was made a permanent economic kingpin is irrelevant."

Why?

We haven't lost millions of jobs to China since then?

Read your Constitution!

The president cannot borrow a nickel from anyone.

Citibank + Travelers Group = Citigroup (see too big to fail)

That Republican congress passed it 292-60.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:35 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
Quote:
If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program." --President Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

"Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face." --Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983." --Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process." -Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

snopes.com: Weapons of Mass Destruction Quotes

Now you can get an even more complete list of quotes by democrats before Bush was president saying Iraq had wmds

Now do you wish to continue this of it was only Bush that lied about Iraq having wmds?

Old 04-04-2010, 01:42 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:

They voted for war to be the LAST OPTION, to be used ONLY AFTER negotiations failed. Bush just plain jumped to ALL OUT WAR. I know this because Republican Nick Smith even confirmed it. See my next reply for his statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey

Do you honestly not know that intelligence briefings ARE EDITED by the President before being submitted to Congress?

Here, I'll let Republican Nick Smith explain it to you, along with his explanation for the above:
Secretary Powell proved Iraq’s continuing violation of various U.N. resolutions using disclosures from American intelligence to show that Iraq possesses weapons of mass destruction, has lied about those weapons, conspires to thwart U.N. inspections, and aids terrorists. A lot of the evidence was heretofore classified. However, there is still significant classified evidence that has not been revealed because it would compromise our sources. This compelling case against Iraq means that the U.N. must make some decisions. As President Bush said to the U.N. last year, and Secretary Powell reiterated, the U.N. must now move to enforce its resolutions or forfeit its credibility as a body.

Last October, Congress authorized the President to use force, if necessary, to protect American security and disarm Iraq. It also called on the President to work with the U.N.

. . .

We all hope that we can achieve Iraqi disarmament without war. But given the blatant Iraqi defiance of the U.N. Security Council along with the threat to our security and that of our allies, we must be willing to act militarily. I agree with analysts who believe that if Saddam Hussein is convinced we will go to war, he is likely to give up the weapons or accept exile and take his multibillion dollar fortune with him. Being prepared and willing to enforce compliance with U.N. resolutions actually reduces the chances of war. If Saddam Hussein does change course and accept exile or disarmament, it will be only because he fears gathering allied forces that are ready and willing to act.
Funny how Bush had a completely different interpretation of that vote, which was, "Screw the U.N., it's off to war we go!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey

Clinton sat on his hands after we were successfully attacked by the same al Qaeda five times during his presidency. His response was to fire a few missiles into an empty valley in Afghanistan and allow a 25% attrition rate at the CIA.

If Clinton had the kahunas that Dubya had he would have gone into any nation where al Qaeda operates and destroyed them and their ability to attack our civilian populations. He would have doubled down on our CIA after the 1993 attack. He would have taken the heat from the far left liberals in his own party and done the right thing for the nation. But he didn't do that. He punted to Bush.

Sigh. I haven't posted this for a while, so I guess it's time to pull it out again. . .

During President Clinton's two terms in office, we:
  • Captured Ramzi Yousef;
  • Arrested and convicted Wali Khan Amin Shah;
  • Initiated a grand jury investigation of bin Laden in New York;
  • Uncovered his network in 56 countries;
  • Pressured Sudan to expel him;
  • Garnered the cooperation of Jamal Ahmed al-Fadl regarding Al Qaeda's organization and how it operates;
  • Convicted Ramzi Ahmed Yousef, Abdul Hakim Murad, and Wali Khan Amin Shah;
  • Arrested Mohamed al-'Owhali and got him to confess to his role in the embassy bombing;
  • Fired Tomahawk missiles at a suspected Al Qaeda camp in Afghanistan and a pharmaceutical plant in Sudan, which was suspected of producing chemical weapons for bin Laden (I don't think I have to tell you how the Right criticized that one);
  • Arrested Ali Mohamed and got his cooperation regarding bin Laden;
  • Thwarted an attack on Los Angeles International Airport by arresting Ahmed Ressam when he was caught entering the U.S. with 130 pounds of explosives;
  • And repeatedly warned the Bush administration, in urgent post-election intelligence briefings in December 2000 and January 2001, that "Al Qaeda posed the worst security threat facing the nation".
Warning Bush Team on Al Qaeda

Then the ball moved into George W. Bush's court.
  • Between January and August of 2001, the FAA issued 15 advisories to airlines and airports warning that terrorists could try to hijack or destroy American aircraft;
  • NSC counterterrorism chief, Richard Clark warned that Al Qaeda sleeper cells within the U.S. were “a major threat”;
  • In April, 2001, Washington received another "specific threat" that Al Qaeda may attack American targets;
  • Also in April, 2001, another FAA warning was issued, calling for "a high degree of alertness";
  • FBI Investigators were pulled out of Yemen due to security issues, and more FAA warnings went out in June, 2001;
  • U.S. embassies in Senegal and Bahrain were closed;
  • An attack against the embassy in Yemen was stopped by the Yemenis;
  • In June, Condoleezza Rice was warned during an intelligence briefing that an Al Qaeda attack is “highly likely.”
  • Throughout July and August, a bunch of terrorists got into the country, and the FBI warned the Administration about retaliatory terrorist attacks for the arrest and conviction of Ahmed Ressam;
  • Zacarias Moussaoui was picked up in Minneapolis, but no search warrant is issued;
  • The CIA alerted the FBI that Khalid Almidhar and Nawaf Alhazmi were inside the U.S.;
  • On August 6, Condoleeza Rice and President Bush were informed "Bin Laden Determined to Attack Inside the United States" and that "patterns of suspicious activity in this country consistent with preparations for hijackings" were found;
  • On August 28, Moussaoui was linked to Al Qaeda;
  • On September 11, 2001, 4 planes were hijacked, two were slammed into the World Trade Center towers in New York, one was slammed into the Pentagon and one was overtaken by passengers and crashed in a field in Pennsylvania, likely on its way to the White House - 2,967 people lost their lives, and thousands more lost their loved-ones.
So, who had the "kahunas" to actually do something to try to stop al qaeda and who didn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies