Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 05:26 PM

631 posts, read 720,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I recall you saying that you use the IRS as a savings account, and always get your money back. Is that the miracle?

Sure I get a refund. Does that not mean I don't pay taxes? Nope. Do I have a large deduction due to mortgage and property tax? Yup.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:26 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I recall you saying that you use the IRS as a savings account, and always get your money back. Is that the miracle?
Real good way to save, eh?

Old 07-28-2010, 05:27 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post
Sure I get a refund. Does that not mean I don't pay taxes? Nope. Do I have a large deduction due to mortgage and property tax? Yup.
Well then, Mikey.

Be prepared to fork more over.

A lot more.

Or should I say:

"A lot Moore."

Old 07-28-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Well then, Mikey.

Be prepared to fork more over.

A lot more.

Or should I say:

"A lot Moore."

Just so I follow you, you are switching this too a discussion about the expiring tax cuts now right?

Old 07-28-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Real good way to save, eh?

Maybe you should look at my finances before knocking it

Old 07-28-2010, 05:32 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Well...the rest of us are getting the same amount of money taken away too, but we still save right? I've certainly never used taxes as a excuse to not be smart with my cash. I'll make a good bet you never did too
We have a Flat Tax? Hardly.

Guess you've never heard of all those income earners whose retirement saving efforts were crushed by the AMT. This couple contemplated divorce, the AMT's bite was so severe:
Going to Extremes to Avoid the AMT - Spending - Deals - SmartMoney.com

Old 07-28-2010, 05:36 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,213 times
The premise of this piece is fairly simple. The author says under current "economic" conditions he can't retire. He never said he didn't save enough.

Many tend to agree with Jarhead's premise, that under these economic conditions, with the country deeper in debt than at any point in history, when the printing presses are printing worthless money 24/7, and when savers don't know if their investments/savings are secure or how much they'll be worth if the dollar is devalued. In these times it is a little difficult to have certainty about the future. Not knowing what goods and services will cost years down the road, it is unwise for people Jarhead's age to retire prematurely and run out of money because of hyperinflation or a worthless dollar. Instead, it is more practical to continue working in some capacity as long as feasible, and delay drawing from retirement accounts.

Something can be said for the older generation's not retiring too quickly and being a burden on the system or the family. But that's a concept the liberals probably cannot understand.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
We have a Flat Tax? Hardly.

Guess you've never heard of all those income earners whose retirement saving efforts were crushed by the AMT. This couple contemplated divorce, the AMT's bite was so severe:
Going to Extremes to Avoid the AMT - Spending - Deals - SmartMoney.com

Poor choice of words regarding the tax, my fault.

Regarding AMT, I've read the blog/article a few times and I don't remember seeing that AMT in there at all. I think it's safe to assume that if this was the problem why he cannot retire we would mention it in the rant. Don't you agree?

Old 07-28-2010, 05:39 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe you should look at my finances before knocking it
I can't fault anyone for using the IRS as a holding place for their $$. You said it works for you, so that's good. It's not the best or smartest way to save, but it's one way that a lot of people seem to use. I did it too, when I was younger. Then I got smarter.

However, looking forward, it'll be interesting to hear from you once the taxes, under all their different aliases, kick in. You may one day end up feeling just like this guy in the OP.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:43 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Poor choice of words regarding the tax, my fault.

Regarding AMT, I've read the blog/article a few times and I don't remember seeing that AMT in there at all. I think it's safe to assume that if this was the problem why he cannot retire we would mention it in the rant. Don't you agree?
No. He specifically mentions being asked to pay, repeatedly, for others' mistakes and poor choices. AMT or not, money taken from him to pay for others reduces his ability to save for his own retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies