Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:05 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
I agree with this sentiment. After years of sticking my head in the sand regarding politics because it was such a messy game, now is when many Americans are beginning to reemerge in hopes of making differences without having to conform to ANY party, simply by electing the BEST candidate, not one of a certain party exclusively. The Tea Party movement has shaken sleeping Americans as well as giving them a voice. Yet as with any political arena, there are always zealots trying to sway some in a certain direction, but from the one gathering I did attend, it was racially as well as politically mixed. Just average people (totally disorganized) expressing concerns and solutions about their government (local and national).
Thank you. I do hear from a lot of tea partiers, and they do tend to be just average people. They are average people who were unhappy during the previous administration, and didn't like the direction that the country was going in then. Obama mobilized millions of Americans with his message of change. Why shouldn't some of those millions of newly-mobilized Americans disagree with Obama about what the changes should be? Shouldn't we all be happy as Americans that MORE people are becoming engaged in the discussions of what our challenges are and how we should deal with them? Wasn't that the goal of the democratic republic that Americans founded to begin with? There was never any expectation that we would all agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 09:08 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
No, as this poll shows and many other that have been surveyed, the obama administration IS NOT mainstream.

I'm surprised you would denigrate him like that.

As you can see, it is the Tea Party that falls in line with mainstream America.

The poll in your link shows that tea baggers are not representative of US demographics.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:10 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
? Shouldn't we all be happy as Americans that MORE people are becoming engaged in the discussions of what our challenges are and how we should deal with them? Wasn't that the goal of the democratic republic that Americans founded to begin with?
Yes, in fact, it is something the founders said was required for the health of the nation. That people must be vigilant or the government will grow in power and subvert the protections and authority of the people.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:10 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
No, sansrene implied that the tea party IS, using her quotes, mainstream America, not a small segment of it.
Well, I can't argue with that.

But I think the gist of the article that sanrene cites in the OP makes an important point, that the tea party movement is comprised mostly of mainstream Americans, not outer-fringe people is important.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:11 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The poll in your link shows that tea baggers are not representative of US demographics.
Quote:
PRINCETON, NJ -- Tea Party supporters skew right politically; but demographically, they are generally representative of the public at large.
Quick, jot off an email and tell Gallup they are full of it.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:14 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,316,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Your title line is trying to make it sound like the Tea Party ideology is mainstream and the poll is only asking things like age, income, education, etc. (Yes, I know you did mention that in your text.) Furthermore, the poll doesn't sample very many Tea Party members. It polled 1,033 people or which only 28% supported the Tea Party. So basically you'd have to believe that under 300 tea baggers are representative of ALL tea baggers.

But on the other hand you post a pictures and other links of someone holding a sign and try to tell us that the person holding the sign is a representative of all tea party members.

Which way do you want it?

One day a group of a few is the representatives of the tea party members and the next day you tell us that 300 are not representative.

Typical left wing hypocritical thinking.

You had better understand that the majority of Americans are NOT liberal minded or left wing thinking in any way. Once you accept your way of thinking covers only 20% of all Americans you will see that being on the wrong side is not a good thing.

But then again the left wingers do not believe the majority of Americans mean anything but then post the normal hypocritical idea that Obama won with the majority of voters.

That won't happen again, I assure you.

Get ready to rumble because the majority of Americans have had it with the 3 years of dem controlled failures add in the idiot in the WH, I promise you CHANGE is coming. This time it wont be no scam job on the American people.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
I really prefer the Coffee Party. More talking less shouting.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:17 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,226,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Well, I can't argue with that.

But I think the gist of the article that sanrene cites in the OP makes an important point, that the tea party movement is comprised mostly of mainstream Americans, not outer-fringe people is important.
What demographics are outer fring people? Using the categories the article used. What numbers would draw you to conclude that the tea party was not mainstream?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Myth-busting polls: Tea Party members are average Americans, 41% are Democrats, independents | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times

Myth-busting polls: Tea Party members are average Americans, 41% are Democrats, independents

Quote:
For upwards of 12 months now members of the so-called Tea Party protest movement have been stereotyped, derogated and often dismissed by some politicians and media outlets.

Now, comes a pair of polls, including Gallup, that paint a revealing detailed portrait of Tea Party supporters in most ways as pretty average Americans.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:37 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I really prefer the Coffee Party. More talking less shouting.
Me too. Angry gun carrying people who hold up 'Hilter' signs and shout about short-circuiting our peaceful transfer of power through elections are not who I picture when I envision mainstream Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

Get ready to rumble because the majority of Americans have had it with the 3 years of dem controlled failures add in the idiot in the WH, I promise you CHANGE is coming. This time it wont be no scam job on the American people.
"Get ready to rumble"? What exactly do you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies