U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:07 AM

24,874 posts, read 22,764,648 times

Advertisements

I was watching Morning Joe this morning, and sure enough, the new bill does give fines, but you don't have to pay them.

I'll have to find the page, but its around 300, but the bill prohibits the IRS from garnishing your wages, your savings, or any of your assets to pay the healthcare fine, if you don't have insurance.

This is the first bill in history, to pass a fine, that you don't have to pay. Its akin to driving as fast as you want, you'll get a ticket, but you don't have to pay it.

The IRS can take your tax return, but, if you file where you have to pay in every year, there is no refund to with hold.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 08:12 AM

938 posts, read 1,158,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I was watching Morning Joe this morning, and sure enough, the new bill does give fines, but you don't have to pay them.

I'll have to find the page, but its around 300, but the bill prohibits the IRS from garnishing your wages, your savings, or any of your assets to pay the healthcare fine, if you don't have insurance.

This is the first bill in history, to pass a fine, that you don't have to pay. Its akin to driving as fast as you want, you'll get a ticket, but you don't have to pay it.

The IRS can take your tax return, but, if you file where you have to pay in every year, there is no refund to with hold.
If you don't pay fines you will be jailed. it's their option not yours.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
No, its not.

In the original Senate bill, before it passed, there was wording in there to indicate that.

HOWEVER, that changed, and has been watered down due to political pressure.

Read the bill that just passed the house last week. There is no prosecution, and no way for the federal government to levy the fine against you. They have no teeth.

Quit trying to scare people

Old 04-05-2010, 08:18 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,141,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
That is not true. Where in the bill does it say that you will go to jail for not paying the fine? Please do tell.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:22 AM

10,946 posts, read 8,895,564 times
Quote:
No, its not.

In the original Senate bill, before it passed, there was wording in there to indicate that.

Read the bill that just passed the house last week. There is no prosecution, and no way for the federal government to levy the fine against you. They have no teeth.

Kind of reinforces the upcoming lack of funding for this bill. Without a way to pay for it, why bother to pass it? Just another reason to raise taxes and attempt to gain more control over the people?

You just have to love, from what you say, an unfunded bill.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:22 AM

9,320 posts, read 17,599,959 times
Please give the exact location of this language. It would be comforting to know we won't go to jail but I don't trust this bill at all.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Please give the exact location of this language. It would be comforting to know we won't go to jail but I don't trust this bill at all.
I'm driving now, hard to surf while driving.

The commentator showed the place in the bill, it was in the 300's as far as pages go. I believe it was in the "fix it" bill that just passed the house last week.

If someone else can find it, I'd appreciate it, otherwise, I'll have to wait until I'm sitting still to find the exact page.

Morning Joe won't have transcripts available until tomorrow for todays show.

The jist of it was, they can fine you, but they can't levy fines against your property, or bank accounts to pay for it. You also can't be denied any services (SSI, Medicare, etc) if you don't pay the fines.

It has no teeth, none whatsoever.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:29 AM

9,320 posts, read 17,599,959 times
Quote:

The commentator showed the place in the bill, it was in the 300's as far as pages go. I believe it was in the "fix it" bill that just passed the house last week.

If someone else can find it, I'd appreciate it, otherwise, I'll have to wait until I'm sitting still to find the exact page.

Don't surf and drive. Not worth risking your life or someone elses life.
When you are sitting down, please post the source. It is important information.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
No, its not.

post your facts and quit trying to lie to people.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:

The jist of it was, they can fine you, but they can't levy fines against your property, or bank accounts to pay for it. You also can't be denied any services (SSI, Medicare, etc) if you don't pay the fines.

It has no teeth, none whatsoever.
NO YOU FIND IT! you got time to surf, drive and type.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-05-2010 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies