Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 07:17 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,361,900 times

Advertisements

I just ran across this at RCP - I never heard of the guy but it's a pretty good read:

Piecemeal Measures and a Fake Tax Cut - David Harsanyi, Denver Post

Have you noticed that the infrastructure always is "crumbling" in news stories and presidential speeches -- if less regularly in the real world. To many Democrats, "crumbling" means we're not subsidizing smart grids and high-speed rail projects fast enough...

...free market nihilists always are daydreaming about bridges collapsing on innocent Americans -- if at all possible, poor and disabled Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 08:04 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
I just ran across this at RCP - I never heard of the guy but it's a pretty good read:

Piecemeal Measures and a Fake Tax Cut - David Harsanyi, Denver Post

Have you noticed that the infrastructure always is "crumbling" in news stories and presidential speeches -- if less regularly in the real world. To many Democrats, "crumbling" means we're not subsidizing smart grids and high-speed rail projects fast enough...

...free market nihilists always are daydreaming about bridges collapsing on innocent Americans -- if at all possible, poor and disabled Americans.
Well, in this I agree with the Democrats--at least here in Maine. Our infrastructure is, indeed, crumbling. But why is that? It's because for the past 30 years money that should have been spent on upkeep of our raods and bridges was siphoned off to pay for the Dems' favorite social welfare programs. Now Maine is looking to Washington to bail us out. And my question is, Why should the tax dollars of states that have spent responsibly and maintained their infrastructure be used to bail out the spendthrifts in Maine? It's like being forced to pay the neighbors' mortgage because they used their mortgage money to go on a cruise.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:45 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,921,017 times
Yep, we're really firing now.

Fed sees 'widespread signs of deceleration' - Sep. 8, 2010

Old 09-08-2010, 08:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,796,855 times
One has to rememebr that the economy has to create 125'000 jobs a month just to comeout even when you consider the new people entering the workforce. The good part is that its not the number needed when bommers came into it.The net effect was a .1% increase in uemployment has calulated by the feds.If that was not teh case why is Obama how talkig about jobs being still the piority. Evryone knows by just lo0okiga round that its not getting better really.Obama's polices have spent bilions with no results and now the congress isn't i any mood to allow more spending. the defcit created has gotten too large to start over.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:30 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,645,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Well, in this I agree with the Democrats--at least here in Maine. Our infrastructure is, indeed, crumbling. But why is that? It's because for the past 30 years money that should have been spent on upkeep of our raods and bridges was siphoned off to pay for the Dems' favorite social welfare programs. Now Maine is looking to Washington to bail us out. And my question is, Why should the tax dollars of states that have spent responsibly and maintained their infrastructure be used to bail out the spendthrifts in Maine? It's like being forced to pay the neighbors' mortgage because they used their mortgage money to go on a cruise.

I agree. Social programs vs roads and bridges. I vote for the roads and bridges. Without them and infrastructure, all the "treats" at the trough of the government fail.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:47 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,985,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I agree. I don't see us sliding back into recession. But I think growth in GDP will remain anemic (between 1.5 and 2%) and that level of economic activity is not be enough to improve the jobs picture measurably. Just as Japan went through its lost decade in the 90's, the U.S. may be following in its footsteps. Retirees will take it in the shorts as their nestegg diminishes in value because interest rates will remain low indefinitely. Federal and state coffers will remain hollowed out as tax revenues decline, forcing some very painful cutting. The real estate market and housing construction will continue flounder. I expect a real and significant drop in the stock market as reality catches up with stock prices. In other words this is not your typical cyclical recession where the economy rebounds sharply after a precipitous decline. All that said, I hope I'm wrong.
There is a so so argument that we never left the resession to begin with. So what we didn't leave we can't slide back into. We are having a new bubble but this one is being really weak. I don't see economic growth in the furtue 2% isn't sustainable. it will be negative and may actualy be negative as we speek. The clamed unamployment rate and the amount of money being payed out for benifits have diverged signifacatly. We are being lied to as far as the health of the economy goes.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:52 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,858,721 times
Perhaps a better thread title would be "Economy starting to fail on all cylinders"????

Old 09-09-2010, 07:59 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,985,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Perhaps a better thread title would be "Economy starting to fail on all cylinders"????
I made the coment up the thread a bit that the economy is firing on all the cylinders that haven't been sold to china as scrap or out sorced to India. We need to grow domestic prodution and you can't make that happen effectively with a planned economy. You need a free market economy to do that but with a tax structure and regulations that push growth where it needs to go. More like herding the economy along rather than trying to make it all happen exactly the way you want it too. Or pruning a tree to get the most fruit out of it rather than letting it grow any way it wants too. But too much pruning is worce than none at all.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:43 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,361,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
The clamed unamployment rate and the amount of money being payed out for benifits have diverged signifacatly. We are being lied to as far as the health of the economy goes.
Can you clarify what you mean by that? The BLS numbers are about 14.9M unemployed and about 10M receiving benefits. Are you referring to the roughly 5M difference?

Old 09-09-2010, 09:23 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,507,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Oh yea, tell that to the people in the plastic manufacturing plant in central Ohio who were just giving their 60 day notice of being without a job.

350 more workers gone to Mexico thanks to the Obama overtaxing of small businesses.

That is factory no 7 in central Ohio to completely shut down on Obamas watch.

Things are looking up for sure.

Amazing, the foreclosures for this month has already hit a record and its only the 8th of the month.

That is now 18 straight months of record foreclosures thanks to the Obama economic team of experts.
yep. and here are 200 more workers sacrificed on the 'green' altar:

Light bulb factory closes; End of era for U.S. means more jobs overseas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies