U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 11:05 AM

20,003 posts, read 16,504,227 times

Advertisements

God bless the mole leaking this information out!

Pentagon deems Wikileaks a national security threat - Telegraph
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 02:32 PM

627 posts, read 1,917,824 times
Default Recently decrypted US military video of Apache gunship murder of 8 Iraqis/2 journalist

Quote:
Wikileaks has obtained and decrypted this previously unreleased video footage from a US Apache helicopter in 2007. It shows Reuters journalist Namir Noor-Eldeen, driver Saeed Chmagh, and several others as the Apache shoots and kills them in a public square in Eastern Baghdad. They are apparently assumed to be insurgents. After the initial shooting, an unarmed group of adults and children in a minivan arrives on the scene and attempts to transport the wounded. They are fired upon as well. The official statement on this incident initially listed all adults as insurgents and claimed the US military did not know how the deaths ocurred. Wikileaks released this video with transcripts and a package of supporting documents on April 5th 2010 on Collateral Murder

Old 04-05-2010, 02:35 PM

22,935 posts, read 13,826,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post

Friendly fire KIAs occurr all the time in a combat zone. We took a .223 bullet out of the back of the head of a guy at the VA who was presumably shot with a 7.62 AK round last month.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:36 PM

3,288 posts, read 4,115,216 times
Read about this earlier and I feel disgusted.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:05 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,566,075 times
I hate war. I was absolutely against going in. Now pulling out is harder. We have started something that is almost impossible to stop. You look at people doing stuff sometimes you get it correct. Sometimes you don't. You've got seconds to make decisions that you will have to live with for the rest of your life. Shoot the bad guy don't shoot the good guy. The number of times you shoot your own guy is way to high. Friendly fire. When it was easy to not do this kind of thing was before Bush got elected.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:18 PM

8,705 posts, read 10,433,768 times
Watched the long version, about 38 minutes. I really can't blame the pilots here. They were on station with ground forces taking fire. They see a group of people with weapons. They weren't weapons, but to them it certainly looked like it. The fog of war is a hell of a thing. Things like this have always happened, still do, and will in the future. It's ugly, but it's war. It's easy for us to armchair QB the fight, but we are only seeing a small tunnel visioned view of the whole picture.

I don't, however, like how the military was trying to cover this up and keep it hush-hush. I don't like how they are harassing the group that released the video. This is why the internet is such a good thing. It allows so much information out that otherwise would never be known, whether damning or not.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:29 PM

4,045 posts, read 3,593,092 times
I'm a veteran and I'. sure I'll be called a "liberal","traitor" and various other names.

This is a textbook example of how to create a terrorist willing to fly planes into buildings and come into this country to set off dirty bombs!!

You have innocent people simply being humane and attempting to help wounded people, we are so pumped up and ready to shoot that we disregard not only the children's lives but have arrogant contempt when it's discovered that we have killed or wounded them.

The men who stopped to help had no weapons yet they were fired upon, they were basically killed for nothing. You believe the fathers, mothers, brothers, aunts, uncles, of those dead people now do not hate the U.S. , every soldier, and American they can set their eyes upon. You think Al-Quida doesn't realize this and will capitalize on it.

Then the army and the government attempt to hide, lie, and keep this from the American people.

I'm a veteran and I'm disgusted.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:32 PM

5,235 posts, read 8,030,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Friendly fire KIAs occurr all the time in a combat zone. We took a .223 bullet out of the back of the head of a guy at the VA who was presumably shot with a 7.62 AK round last month.
"Friendly fire." That's a disgusting way to describe this, really.

And apparently it's within the "rules" to kill unarmed people who are trying to help the wounded?

All this blood is on Bush's/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Wolfowitz's hands, multiplied by tens of thousands. May Cheney's next life be that of a cockroach tormented by an Iraqi dog, before he is eaten, pooped out, and ends up on the hoof of a goat.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:33 PM

12,869 posts, read 13,624,074 times
it is a tragedy all around.

i agree 100% that these kinds of "accidents" breed terrorists. how can this be chalked up as a win in any sense of the word? i do wonder why you left obama out of the diatribe however, since he is the commander in chief and these things are still happening now.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:36 PM

37,083 posts, read 18,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Friendly fire KIAs occurr all the time in a combat zone.
Which explains why the upstanding individuals commanding the US Army in 2007 readily owned up their mistake. Oh, wait...

Mistaking cameras for weapons? I can perhaps see that happening. Fog of war, adrenaline, fear makes for bad decisions.

Firing on unarmed civilians trying to transport the wounded? Abhorrent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies