Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 03:15 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,471 times

Advertisements

Read the entire letter at many sites including:

Russell King’s ‘Open Letter to Conservative Americans’ | Orange Juice

Quote:
...........You can’t be both pro-choice and anti-choice.
You can’t damn someone for failing to pay $900 in taxes when you’ve paid nearly $20,000 in IRS fines.
You can’t condemn criticizing the president when US troops are in harm’s way, then attack the president when US troops are in harm’s way , the only difference being the president’s party affiliation (and, by the way, armed conflict does NOT remove our right and our duty as Americans to speak up).
You can’t be both for cap-and-trade policy and against it.
You can’t vote to block debate on a bill, then bemoan the lack of ’open debate’.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 03:32 PM

412 posts, read 405,020 times
I read that a while back. It was a very good read. I doubt many Republicans or Tea Partiers will pay attention to it though.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:37 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Just another point in the spectrum. Good for him. If someone from the conservative end created a rebuttal rant I wouldn't read it either.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:26 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post

Just another point in the spectrum. Good for him. If someone from the conservative end created a rebuttal rant I wouldn't read it either.
As expected. It's apparently too difficult for you to look in a mirror and see the thing the Republican Party has become.

Or you're happy with its hypocrisy, historical inaccuracies, outright lies and incitement of violence.

Either way, I expected nothing less from the wingnuts around here.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:47 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Ah, but this makes too much sense for the partisan crazies. If they hold their own accountable for their hypocritical statements and to task for their problems, how can they view the world in such fervent absolute terms?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:21 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
As expected. It's apparently too difficult for you to look in a mirror and see the thing the Republican Party has become.

Or you're happy with its hypocrisy, historical inaccuracies, outright lies and incitement of violence.

Either way, I expected nothing less from the wingnuts around here.
I take it you did not watch the thread someone just posted on Maxine Waters, pretty much the textbook definition of hypocrisy.

Both left and right wing extremist fit your description.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:27 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post

I take it you did not watch the thread someone just posted on Maxine Waters, pretty much the textbook definition of hypocrisy.

Both left and right wing extremist fit your description.
As a matter of fact I didn't see the thread on Maxine Waters (who I have little respect for, anyway). But what does the hypocrisy of an individual have to do with the gargantuan list of things pointed out in the linked article about the Republican Party as a whole? Did you bother to read it? There was much, much more than hypocrisy spelled out.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
As a matter of fact I didn't see the thread on Maxine Waters (who I have little respect for, anyway). But what does the hypocrisy of an individual have to do with the gargantuan list of things pointed out in the linked article about the Republican Party as a whole? Did you bother to read it? There was much, much more than hypocrisy spelled out.
Yes I read it. Are you saying that a piece could not be put together about the Democratic Party? if not, then you have blinders on.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:06 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Yes I read it. Are you saying that a piece could not be put together about the Democratic Party? if not, then you have blinders on.
Did you notice that Mr. King backed up each and every statement he made? Can you, then, refute his claims AND back up your claims with facts of the matter- as he has?

So, yes, on the one hand it would matter if this was put together by the Democratic Party. However, I doubt very much that it was. King is a known Republican and he is appearing on TV and so is pretty much putting himself on the line for this.

On the other hand, if the letter is true, is based on facts, backed up by citing the statements of PROMINENT, NOT fringe, GOPers, then, what does it matter who wrote it?

It's your job to prove, for example, that Giuliani did NOT flip-flop on terror trials- or any other of King's points you'd like to disprove with rational arguments that you can back up with facts..

Old 04-05-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
Did you notice that Mr. King backed up each and every statement he made? Can you, then, refute his claims AND back up your claims with facts of the matter- as he has?

So, yes, on the one hand it would matter if this was put together by the Democratic Party. However, I doubt very much that it was. King is a known Republican and he is appearing on TV and so is pretty much putting himself on the line for this.

On the other hand, if the letter is true, is based on facts, backed up by citing the statements of PROMINENT, NOT fringe, GOPers, then, what does it matter who wrote it?

It's your job to prove, for example, that Giuliani did NOT flip-flop on terror trials- or any other of King's points you'd like to disprove with rational arguments that you can back up with facts..
No...It's not my job. What I said was that both the Dem and Repub parties have members/elected officials who have practiced/involed with the same cr@p Jill61 posted, hypocrisy, historical inaccuracies, outright lies and incitement of violence. To believe any different is just plain foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies