Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:26 PM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
I was just thinking, this war could have been avoided. After 9-11 Bush could have sent a message to the Muslim people - turn over Bin Laden and Al Quaeda or we will destroy your holy places, Medina and Mecca, with nukes. They will be places of desolation for a thousand years. We will destroy every mosque and every madrass. We will destroy everyone in every place who objects. These people want a holy war? You've got to hit them where they live - in their religion. I'm thinking Bin Laden would have turned himself in if he thought we would really do that.
Bin Laden would have been giggling in glee if he could have successfully provoked the US into starting a holy war on that scale. Goading the US into lashing out and mobilizing holy warriors in the aftermath was the plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 11:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
good for obama. some sense in that. what america is calling self defense these days is very scary. 1 million dead in iraq and why exactly did we invade and occupy for 7 years?, gee i dont know--lets ask rush limbaugh, truth justice and the american way???. we will however be getting a thank you note from iran, takover of iraq would have been impossible w/o our help.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:33 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
I have never seen a collection of so many dark posts on one thread. You better pray to your undershorts that no one ever lights up on one of those launch pads
e v e r.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:58 PM

592 posts, read 414,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Such a move would turn a small percentage of Muslims with plans of committing terrorist attacks into millions.

The idea that you could force a billion people to comply by holding their holy places hostage is ridiculous. First off, the threat isn't credible. If you don't follow through, you've lost any position of power you might have otherwise wielded. If you DO follow through, it would be the end of the world. No exaggeration. You'd instantly radicalize a billion people and the other 5 billion would surely follow suit.

"Simple" answers are rarely that.
But it would be credible. The threat would make them realize what they had done on 9-11. Hopefully. If they didn't hand over Bin Laden, the threat would have been carried out. Now you think about it. If you can't hit them, they will hit you or convert you and that will be the end of America as you know it anyway. And if wasting their holy places would really radicalize a billion people then they are a more serious threat than you can imagine.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:05 AM

592 posts, read 414,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Bin Laden would have been giggling in glee if he could have successfully provoked the US into starting a holy war on that scale. Goading the US into lashing out and mobilizing holy warriors in the aftermath was the plan.
No that's not his plan. Most people have convinced themselves that it is so that they have an excuse not to engage him. By the way, how did you people feel after 9-11? Have you forgotten you cheered when Bush said the terrorists would be hearing from us? Remember JFK? You didn't see him back down. He threatened the Soviets and they back down. America has sure changed since JFK.

Last edited by MarkT3; 04-07-2010 at 12:35 AM..

Old 04-07-2010, 12:20 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,989,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Funny, I've been watching "Fail Safe" the 1964 Cold War Classic by Sidney Lumet with Henry Fonda, Walter Matthau. I thought it was a dated movie from a period in ancient history until I read, the anachronistic posts here on C-D.

Fail Safe dramatized accidential nuclear war caused by our complicated technology. In otherwords, sh*t happens.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:28 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Lightbulb Allow me to school the unschoolable here...

Please try to follow these "paint by number" points...

In the past twenty years, the US has invaded middle eastern nations three times.

No nuclear armed nation has ever been invaded.

A grave threat to world peace and stability is the spread of nuclear weapons.

Obama's statement assures non-nuclear armed states that the US will not attack them with nukes, thereby removing a big incentive for them to develop these weapons. Nations adhering to the Nonproliferation Pact will not be targeted.

Those nations possessing or developing nukes are still on the target list.

I realize that this dose of reality will be unwelcome to those who are currently enjoying a good foaming-at-the-mouth rage.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:44 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
if the statement that no nuclear armed nation has ever been invaded is true, would the logical progression be that nuclear arming is a good deterrent to aggression?

i am anti war but pro defense, and i don't think that telling other countries you are not going to advance your defense systems is a very good idea.

i also don't think that there is one country out there that really trusts another country and if they were going to do something in secret, they still will. the world is scattered with broken treaties, which are worth the paper they are printed on. russia has already said that they can "opt out", and the US has said that "iran and north korea" are exceptions..... what kind of treaty is that?

what i see is a president who is increasing aggression in other countries at the same time he is leaving our borders open and weakening our defense systems.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:51 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
if the statement that no nuclear armed nation has ever been invaded is true, would the logical progression be that nuclear arming is a good deterrent to aggression?
Seems to have worked that way in the nuclear age.

Quote:
i am anti war but pro defense, and i don't think that telling other countries you are not going to advance your defense systems is a very good idea.
You're talking in code here. What does your statement have to do with current events?

Quote:
i also don't think that there is one country out there that really trusts another country and if they were going to do something in secret, they still will. the world is scattered with broken treaties, which are worth the paper they are printed on. russia has already said that they can "opt out", and the US has said that "iran and north korea" are exceptions..... what kind of treaty is that?
The best we have so far.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:52 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
You don't show the opposing team your play book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies