Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
LifelongMOgal, Beck fans aren't smart enough to know the difference between fiction and real life.
Thank you for admitting the outrage is selective and intended to baselessly smear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 06:13 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
Could you please show where I display outrage? I've already pointed most if not all Beck fans haven't read an extended novel before. If they have it on audio tape it's another story. We're talking dangerous people who blindly adhere to a dangerous person.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:24 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Could you please show where I display outrage? I've already pointed most if not all Beck fans haven't read an extended novel before. If they have it on audio tape it's another story. We're talking dangerous people who blindly adhere to a dangerous person.
There will always be fools, Glen Beck has elevated Village Idiot to a National Position

Old 04-06-2010, 06:27 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
And this village idiot has a Jim Jones-esque cult following.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:42 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
People are entitled to an opinion, but I'm cautious about people whose opinions tend to involve deception, fearmongering and psuedo-revolutionary baiting, no matter what end of the political spectrum they inhabit. Glenn Beck is by far the most prominent, and by far the most provocative.

I'll be honest, I think it's pretty shallow to think that all fiction is masturbatory self-indulgence. Whatever you feel personally, the fact of the matter is lots of people enjoy fiction that implicitly or explicitly speaks to their values or that their feel teaches them something "new".

Your professors failed miserably if you have such a puerile understanding of fiction. Do you feel the same way about all art and media? I feel bad for you if so, since you enormously underestimate the power of creative mass media in contemporary society. As far as I can tell, almost everything out of Beck's mouth is fiction, and he's influenced quite a bit.
My professors failed to indoctrinate me. This is true. I think for myself. And I don't believe that a college professor has any business peddling opinions. I suppose that's why I teach math in college, rather than English.

As a person who has always been talented in visual arts, music, and writing, I must say that, yes, I do feel that way about all of it--all entertainment. Art is beauty. Music is aural beauty. Fiction is beauty in that a good writer can forge a whole new world within the mind of the reader. But all is still entertainment.

I neither respect nor pay any attention to media or celebrity; but I certainly do not underestimate the power of media, celebrity, and the cult of personality over others; it's the 'sheep effect.' It actually keeps me awake at night sometimes because it attempts to stifle free thought and encourages blind faith--in my opinion, not unlike or any better than fundamentalist religious fanaticism. Truth lies in that which can be proven; all else is conjecture, to which everyone has a right, but to which no one should mistake for truth or attempt to pass off as truth.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:50 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,167 times
I don't have much interest in getting into a philosophical discussion with someone who thinks art is simply beauty or thinks that truth is static and readily attainable.

Your opinion is yours, enjoy it, although don't pretend that you haven't been indoctrinated to some extent, your very words reflect it, particularly re: beauty.

The point is that you've have only proven my point, individuals like Beck are not interested in producing "beauty" (lol), he is simply attempting to further indoctrinate his readers and stoke the flames of outrage that he's been fanning since his ascension as a major media figure.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:26 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
I don't have much interest in getting into a philosophical discussion with someone who thinks art is simply beauty or thinks that truth is static and readily attainable.

Your opinion is yours, enjoy it, although don't pretend that you haven't been indoctrinated to some extent, your very words reflect it, particularly re: beauty.

The point is that you've have only proven my point, individuals like Beck are not interested in producing "beauty" (lol), he is simply attempting to further indoctrinate his readers and stoke the flames of outrage that he's been fanning since his ascension as a major media figure.
Beauty is subjective. You may find beauty in a work of art because it holds some grand message from the creator that somehow touches you. If you don't want to call it beauty, then call it 'attraction.' If you had no attraction to the literature, art, or music of which you partake, you wouldn't partake. That's what I mean by beauty. I'm not talking about Britney Spears beauty.

The idea that truth is not static is simply a line from a snake charmer. If you think you're right on some topic, prove it. Otherwise don't assume it's truth. Also, I didn't say it was readily obtainable; if it were, there would be nothing to debate, correct?

As for the horror of Beck's 'rantings,' it doesn't bother me that much. I heard the same sort of rantings and remember the threats and the violence from the left all through my childhood back in the 60's and early 70's. In fact I recall much worse. I have to point out that the left's sudden horror-stricken denouncement of political dissent and threats of violence is laughably hypocritical. Who was spitting and who was being spit upon 40 years ago? Who was ranting back then? Who was turning cars over and burning them? Who was beating people up? Who was rioting? Who was plotting a government takeover? Who was plotting to kill people and did in some cases? Who was bombing?

Oh, but that was different, right? To tell you the truth, this latest chain of events is rather entertaining. The rooster has come home to roost. Wasn't that the line I heard a couple of years back from a ranting, loony left-winger? Didn't he want to damn America or something like that? But that wasn't dangerous stoking of flames, was it? That was art and free speech.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:49 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,763 times
Quote:
The National Alliance and other White Separatist movements are Right-wing movements, sorry to inform you. This doesn't mean that the Right is necessarily racist, any more than black separatists mean the Left is racist, sorry if you're sensitive though.

Anyways, your response targets the most trivial aspects of my comment and ignores the entire point of what I was saying, so I guess good deflection.
The Turner Diaries are about blowing up the FBI Building and starting a race war. Nothing right wing about it, sorry to inform you.

I read the rest of your post. Didn't feel the need to comment.

And saying 60 million Americans are fans of the Turner Diaries is not trivial.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:14 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
It will probably be as well written as the novel that Nader wrote. Just the same old BS from a guy who shouldn't have been given a microphone in the first place.

I avoid the pundit books. Listening to their rants gives you an idea of what they're going to say, and they'll just cherry-pick quotes and stats that suit their own agenda.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:38 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Beck lost any credibility when he started...barking,like a dog...

Some people don't understand that credibility is like virginity...
Once lost,it cannot be retrieved - or repaired...
I don't remember was that the show when he also cried or was that the next episode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies