Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:06 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That is amazing tech. I don't know how or why you came to need it but I'm really glad it's available to you
Me too! This braille display allows me to do everything from reading the newspaper to making a phone call to going to school to having a conversation with someone, whether halfway across the world or in the same room. It's truly a godsend.

Anyway, back on topic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 07:21 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
It's difficult to work full-time when you're enrolled in college full-time.

Just because you do it doesn't mean everyone who doesn't is lazy. There are people whose parents fund their education, they work PART-time, they earn scholarships, or they live off of student loans.

18-29 year olds have been living like this for years. I don't see what the big ordeal is.
My three kids did it. The third one (my son) has been working and getting his own health insurance since he was (16) and a junior in high school. They all worked at Whole Foods 39 hours a week while in school full time. My son (who is ADD and struggled through school) plans on staying there nights and weekends once he graduates from college and gets a job in his chosen field. Not if he gets a job but when...we have a strong work ethic and we passed that on to our kids. All their bosses love them. We did it...they did it...anyone can do it...

Old 08-01-2010, 07:31 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
We did it...they did it...anyone can do it...
You realize Whole Foods can only hire so many full time people right? THEY got lucky. Be grateful they were able to do what they did because it's not a given. And I'm doubting full time work and full time school long term...unless somthing was lacking somewhere.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:33 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
You realize Whole Foods can only hire so many full time people right? THEY got lucky. And I'm doubting full time work and full time school unless one or the other is slacking. Sorry, there just are not enough hours in the day to do that long term.
People don't get and keep jobs by luck. And I went to school full time and worked 2 part time jobs which was usually around 50 hours total of work. There was nothing lacking in my life. I still went out and got drunk and L&^d like every other college kid.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:36 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
People don't get and keep jobs by luck.
Well sometimes mom and dad and friends and relatives get jobs for them, you are right about that. Contacts are everything when it comes to employment.

I'm just remembering, when my kids were working and in high school they needed work permits and were only supposed to work so many hours a week...

Old 08-01-2010, 07:46 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
People don't get and keep jobs by luck. And I went to school full time and worked 2 part time jobs which was usually around 50 hours total of work. There was nothing lacking in my life. I still went out and got drunk and L&^d like every other college kid.
And I'm glad that worked for you. We're not all perfect.

I took 5-7 classes a semester (and we didn't have gen ed so it was all upper level research seminars) and worked an average of 15 hours a week and BARELY could keep up. My GPA was weak, I only made enough money to feed myself, and I barely had time to sleep - much less party. The one semester I worked full time (part time job and part time internship), I had to cut down my classes to 4 and got an average of 4 hours of sleep a night.

My school strongly discouraged people in ANY subject area from working more than 20 hours a week. In fact, you were not allowed to work more than 20 hours a week on campus.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:47 PM

You can doubt all you want. I'm proud of my kid's accomplishments. They're not doctors or scientists but they're doing very well. I'm an accountant and will retire in January at 48. Both my parents and my in-laws came here in the '50's without a dime and with only grade school educations. Nothing special about any of us. I'll tell you what my parents told me and what we told our kids. "Just work harder than everyone else." Trust me, it doesn't take much...

Old 08-01-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren77 View Post
Thanks Chango. As I mentioned, majority of colleges and universities are friggin jokes. No wonder we are behind French in productivity.
I blame the parents more. We hire many accountants right out of school and I can tell you they spend most of the day talking, texting, i-m'ing and on the internet. It drives me crazy. If it were up to me, I wouldn't allow internet access or i-m'ing. It's OK to move around a lot now-a-days so most don't care to work hard and be thorough. The latter I don't understand as an accountant

A few years ago they did a story on 20/20 on college graduates. They showed how Merrill Lynch had to hire experts to show their new hires (from top schools) manners and how to deal with people. Lot's of companies do this. What is going on here????

Old 08-01-2010, 08:25 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
I blame the parents more. We hire many accountants right out of school and I can tell you they spend most of the day talking, texting, i-m'ing and on the internet. It drives me crazy. If it were up to me, I wouldn't allow internet access or i-m'ing. It's OK to move around a lot now-a-days so most don't care to work hard and be thorough. The latter I don't understand as an accountant

A few years ago they did a story on 20/20 on college graduates. They showed how Merrill Lynch had to hire experts to show their new hires (from top schools) manners and how to deal with people. Lot's of companies do this. What is going on here????
It's not just recent grads. Last year in my final year of college, I was appalled at the conduct of my supervisors and coworkers. The youngest was in her late 30s and most were between 45 and 65. I remember asking my supervisor if it was OK to get onto Facebook for work (it was a work-relevant task) and she thought it was hilarious that I would even ask. She told me that she always kept Facebook and Ebay up in the background. Others would shut their office door and catch up on Grey's Anatomy.

At my unpaid internship, I wouldn't even take a lunch because there was far too many tasks to accomplish. My boss (and the only other person working in our wide-reaching department) would regularly take a leisurely lunch at her desk and then go for an hour long walk. She was in her 60s.

I find many people my age (22) working their tush's off to prove the stereotypes of our generation wrong. I can't *imagine* getting onto Facebook if not for something necessary for work or texting! And that attitude is common among my similarly aged coworkers.

People my age who live up to the stereotypes anger me deeply- it makes it harder for the rest of us who do everything right to find work.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Is that what happens now? I'm not saying it CAN'T, heck you can get a good paying job as a high school dropout too if the stars line up just right. It's just not happening for the majority of college graduates, or anyone else, right now.
no offense but you put up a lot of excuses. where there's a will there's a way...a positive attitude and determination can move mountains...you just have to believe it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies