Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:43 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren77 View Post
Yes. Please. Which airline are you working for? And which school did you go to? It is important for me to know. To avoid them in the future. I still have trouble with the fact that you are allowed to just show up in the class and get a degree for it.

Needless to say, frankly I agree with you on many points. It can be done. I have seen many do it. Not all of them worked full time like you but rather party. My beef is with the fact that this can be done. It just shows you the "quality" of education people are getting here (in this case unfortunately it includes you).
Well, first of all, it would require that you understand that they don't just hand out pilot certificates to any freeloader that happens to stop by the airport. And this is even more true in the military. Once you get past this small little roadblock, perhaps you'll understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 12:44 PM

326 posts, read 429,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Well, first of all, it would require that you understand that they just don't hand out pilot certificates to any freeloader that happens to stop by the airport. Once you get past this small little roadblock, perhaps you'll understand.
Are you sure? You listed zero hours of course work outside the classroom.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Are you sure? You listed zero hours of course work outside the classroom.
What are you talking about? You act like i'm on CD Forums to sign up for college classes or apply for a job.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:29 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It was better for us, there were jobs to be had at age 14, and right out of high school too. My kids do find work, piecemeal things, but the opportunities I had aren't there. My own jobs no longer exist, and before they were done away with they required a college degree. Not when I started. I feel lucky to have been able to do what I did but I don't look at my kids and assume they can do the same. I don't know why people have such a hard time looking outside themselves and acknowledging that maybe their situation involved lots of variables, and it wasn't just because they were "all that".

Also dont forget the 800 lb gorilla.....Illegals.
All those "supposed" jobs Americans will not do (B.S.)!!!!!!!
Its very tiring to hear that crap!!!

Get rid on the illegals and open up millions of jobs for American citizens.....Economic fixed...instantly!

Old 04-06-2010, 01:33 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
was surprised to see how low this number is. this is laziness in my opinion.

im 25, work full time and go to school.

Jobs: The Economy, Killing Liberal Arts Education? - Newsweek.com
Its the economy not laziness. Quite simply there are not enough jobs out there and the ones that are available will go to those with connections and or experience and people that have those tend to be older. I now work full time but for the longest time I could only find temporary gigs.

On top of that when I was in college I was getting so much scholarship that I considered keeping that up as my job.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 04-06-2010 at 01:46 PM..

Old 04-06-2010, 01:39 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I don't see what the big freaking deal is either. My daughter cannot work full time, because of college, some of the hours they wanted her to work, she is in school, you cannot control the hours you are in College. You also have to study hard, and there are many tests to study for. Yes there are some who are lazy, but don't clump all together, when you work and are in college, you have to work around you schedule.

Unfortunately some are not fed with a golden spoon and must work or not be able to afford housing and food, much less books and classes.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Its the economy not laziness. Quite simply there are not enough jobs out there and the ones that are available will go to those with connections and or experience and people that have those tend to be older. I now work full time but for the longest time I could only find temporary gigs.
I agree to an extent. But, there are still jobs out there. Are they desirable? Many of them are not. I still think American's are letting ego or cost/benefit get in the way. One quick browse of USAJOBS.gov, the governments own hiring website, shows many thousands of open jobs. So does Monster.com and CareerBuilder.com. I also see Help Wanted signs on roadside signage. The jobs are out there, its just a matter of biting the bullet, in many cases, and doing what you need to do. Government handout makes it a bit easier to collect unemployment benefits than to take a hit to the ego by taking an unfullfilling job, it seems.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:47 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Well, we are talking about an average student, not great exceptions like yourself. I personally don't know about the classes you took or professors you faced, but the way I dealt with the students in my classes was simple: Being a college student is supposed to be their full time job. Too many students feel like they can just show up to the class and pass. If a college student does not put at least 45 hours a week on her studies, she is probably having it too easy and the college is not preparing her for the job market appropriately.
So should we start a poll? Is Chango an exceptionally freakish example of human intelligence and willpower or not?

I say no. College was easy. All you had to do was show up for class, listen, do the 'effin work and good grades soon followed. School was a welcome break from my nightmarish job (which I'm still stuck at) and 3 screaming kids + spouse (whom I love dearly but seriously, somebody make them shut up! ).

I didn't and still don't understand why people whine that it is "hard". The only hard part was staying patient while jumping through multiple hoops to get to graduation, and to shell out cash every semester.

BTW I did a BA in Anthropology at a state university and graduated with a 3.5 GPA. It took me a total of about 6 years, as I went mostly part time (2-4 classes a semester) but I did summer semester classes every year.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:52 PM

326 posts, read 429,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
So should we start a poll? Is Chango an exceptionally freakish example of human willpower or not?

I say no. College was easy. All you had to do was show up for class, listen, do the 'effin work and good grades soon followed. School was a welcome break from my nightmarish job (which I'm still stuck at) and 3 screaming kids + spouse (whom I love dearly but seriously, somebody make them shut up! ).

I didn't and still don't understand why people whine that it is "hard". The only hard part was staying patient while jumping through multiple hoops to get to graduation, and to shell out cash every semester.

BTW I did a BA in Anthropology at a state university and graduated with a 3.5 GPA. It took me a total of about 6 years, as I went mostly part time (2-4 classes a semester) but I did summer semester classes every year.
Thanks Chango. As I mentioned, majority of colleges and universities are friggin jokes. No wonder we are behind French in productivity.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:54 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I agree to an extent. But, there are still jobs out there. Are they desirable? Many of them are not. I still think American's are letting ego or cost/benefit get in the way. One quick browse of USAJOBS.gov, the governments own hiring website shows many thousands of open jobs. I see Help Wanted signs on roadside signage. The jobs are out there, its just a matter of biting the bullet, in many cases, and doing what you need to do. Government handout makes it a bit easier to just collect unemployment benefits than to take a hit to the ego, it seems.
The fact of the matter though is the economy is so bad jobwise that there are generally several people applying for those jobs many of them highly or overqualified. As I said I was underemployed for a few months and as such consider myself very fortunate to have the job I have. It's not like you just apply for a score of government and or low end jobs and get them. Put simply every job I have had since the economy tanked in late 2008 even the temporary gigs came from my networking and knowing someone on the inside. The last time I had a job where this was not the case was some summer employment in 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies