Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 02:24 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times

Advertisements

Our nation was built on challenges and the great men who rose to meet and conquer them. Men who not only welcomed change and hope but fought for it. Men who were told "you can't do it" but did it anyway.
Now the conservatives will heap praise on such people and tell you how wonderful they are but these same conservatives are always the ones that are scared of the future and resist change of even the smallest magnitude. They praise George Washington and drool over Pigeon Forge but if they were around back then, they certainly would have sided with the King and opposed the hope and change that Washington brought.
They laud Lincoln today but would have stood with the "state's rights" bunch if they had lived then. They speak of Martin Luther King now but hated him then.
Once again we face challenges. Challenges that too many Presidents swept under the rug or kicked down the road for somebody else to deal with (and yes, I include Bill Clinton in that).
Now we have a leader that has decided that the can is not going to be kicked down the road anymore. He is trying to solve problems including health care, deficits, the economy, financial reform, entitlement reform and Iran's nuclear program.
I may not always agree with his methods of doing what he does but at least he is doing something. Doing nothing is safe. Doing something is risky. It may turn out to be the wrong thing (ask LBJ) as it was in Vietnam. It may turn out to be the right thing as it was with the Interstate Highway System, Medicare and Social Security.
As I have long stated I did not agree with anything Reagan did but he was a strong and decisive leader and I appreciated that after 4 years of Jimmy Carter and, when he ran for term 2, he got my vote (a real feat for any republican!).
When you do things, you will make errors from time to time. Reminds me of a cop that was on TV news once when they were doing one of their ratings "investigations". The reporter said "you have had xx number of citizen complaints filed against you which is more than any other officer" to which the cop said "perhaps so but I also make more arrest than about any other officer too and I could come in and put in my shift taking it easy and never get a complaint but that is not what the taxpayers hired me to do"
Great Presidents do what the taxpayers hired them to do. Provide leadership and make the changes necessary to keep the country strong, educated and in good shape. They are "transitional" and exceptional leaders. And usually, with the exception of Reagan, they are liberal or center left.
Obama has the potential to join the ranks of Washington, Lincoln, Eisenhower, LBJ, FDR, Truman and Reagan. He needs to keep his nerve and follow his instincts and NOT listen to the right wing.

Last edited by KevK; 04-06-2010 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 02:35 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Our nation was built on challenges and the great men who rose to meet and conquer them. Men who not only welcomed change and hope but fought for it. Men who were told "you can't do it" but did it anyway.
Now the conservatives will heap praise on such people and tell you how wonderful they are but these same conservatives are always the ones that are scared of the future and resist change of even the smallest magnitude. They praise George Washington and drool over Pigeon Forge but if they were around back then, they certainly would have sided with the King and opposed the hope and change that Washington brought.
They laud Lincoln today but would have stood with the "state's rights" bunch if they had lived then. They speak of Martin Luther King now but hated him then.
Once again we face challenges. Challenges that too many Presidents swept under the rug or kicked down the road for somebody else to deal with (and yes, I include Bill Clinton in that).
Now we have a leader that has decided that the can is not going to be kicked down the road anymore. He is trying to solve problems including health care, deficits, the economy, financial reform, entitlement reform and Iran's nuclear program.
I may not always agree with his methods of doing what he does but at least he is doing something. Doing nothing is safe. Doing something is risky. It may turn out to be the wrong thing (ask LBJ) as it was in Vietnam. It may turn out to be the right thing as it was with the Interstate Highway System, Medicare and Social Security.
As I have long stated I did not agree with anything Reagan did but he was a strong and decisive leader and I appreciated that after 4 years of Jimmy Carter and, when he ran for term 2, he got my vote (a real feat for any republican!).
When you do things, you will make errors from time to time. Reminds me of a cop that was on TV news once when they were doing one of their ratings "investigations". The reporter said "you have had xx number of citizen complaints filed against you which is more than any other officer" to which the cop said "perhaps so but I also make more arrest than about any other officer too and I could come in and put in my shift taking it easy and never get a complaint but that is not what the taxpayers hired me to do"
Great Presidents do what the taxpayers hired them to do. Provide leadership and make the changes necessary to keep the country strong, educated and in good shape. They are "transitional" and exceptional leaders. And usually, with the exception of Reagan, they are liberal or center left.
Obama has the potential to join the ranks of Washington, Lincoln, Eisenhower, LBJ, Truman and Reagan. He needs to keep his nerve and follow his instincts and NOT listen to the right wing.

Right............................................. ......................

It is interesting how myopic one's views of the world can be, when one is standing on the extreme left of the political spectrum. One can pick and choose true conservatives and label them as "liberals" to suit one's personal view of the world. Stalin loved revisionist history, as does his deciplies, the left.

Tell me Kev- just how can Obama join the ranks of elite presidents when-

1. He is set to bankrupt the nation with record debt levels through massive social programs? This helps no one. What other president has placed the nation in such a precarious financial situation, such that we will be at the mercy of our creditors?

2. He regards the Constitution as "flexible", with interpretation made at his discretion to suit his political needs?

3. What other president has dispatched "spies" to public sites (the internet) to quell dissention and has sent union thugs to disrupt peaceful political rallies?

4. What other president has demonized and villified political opposition media outlets and has spent so much time and energy villifying media talk show hosts? Is he that paranoid and insecure?

5. What other president has nationalized the auto, financial, and healthcare sectors of our economy?

6. What other president has been so consumed with the concept of financial redistribtion of wealth instead of personal property rights?

7. What other president (besides Bush) has proposed the sacrifice of our national borders by advocating amnesty to foriegn illegals?

8. What other president has been able to divide the nation so markedly in the span of one and a half years?

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 04-06-2010 at 02:51 PM..

Old 04-06-2010, 02:40 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,907,485 times
[quote=KevK;13621872]Our nation was built on challenges and the great men who rose to meet and conquer them. Men who not only welcomed change and hope but fought for it. Men who were told "you can't do it" but did it anyway.
Obama has the potential to join the ranks of Washington, Lincoln, Eisenhower, LBJ, Truman and Reagan. He needs to keep his nerve and follow his instincts and NOT listen to the right wing.[/QUO
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree, but you forgot one influential President: FDR...

Old 04-06-2010, 02:41 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
[quote=MassVt;13622138]
Quote:
Obama has the potential to join the ranks of Washington, Lincoln, Eisenhower, LBJ, Truman and Reagan. He needs to keep his nerve and follow his instincts and NOT listen to the right wing.[/QUO
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree, but you forgot one influential President: FDR...
Fixed it!

Old 04-06-2010, 02:47 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,967,450 times
Quote:
Obama has the potential to join the ranks of Washington, Lincoln, Eisenhower, LBJ, FDR, Truman and Reagan. He needs to keep his nerve and follow his instincts and NOT listen to the right wing.

Yawn. I stopped reading your long banter 4 words in. You are a complete fool if you think "Center" hasn't changed over the few hundred years. As I write this, I see you listed Washington on your list. REALLY? How can the first president be considered left before left even existed! The Democratic party started in the 1820's. Do you even know what years Washington was president? Even more so, what is considered left, middle, and/or right today can and will most likely mean completely different things in 100 years just like it did when Lincoln and Washington were presidents. Get out of here with your irrational banter.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:53 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
"He needs to keep his nerve and follow his instincts and NOT listen to the right wing."

I thought the President represnted ALL americans. He should listen to all americans. He doesn't have to agree with them but he should listen.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:36 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,913,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"He needs to keep his nerve and follow his instincts and NOT listen to the right wing."

I thought the President represnted ALL americans. He should listen to all americans. He doesn't have to agree with them but he should listen.
It's impossible for the President to represent ALL Americans. Not every single person in American is going to agree with everything ANY president does.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:56 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
It's impossible for the President to represent ALL Americans. Not every single person in American is going to agree with everything ANY president does.

What part om my statement don't you understand?

THE President of the United States "represents'" all americans.

I said he might not agree with them but, he should at least engage their opinions. Then decide based on what he thinks is best for all americans. If not, then we have a dictator.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:12 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
8. What other president has been able to divide the nation so markedly in the span of one and a half years?

Nixon is the winner hands down, Obama ain't even close

Old 04-07-2010, 02:35 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,217,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Right............................................. ......................

It is interesting how myopic one's views of the world can be, when one is standing on the extreme left of the political spectrum. One can pick and choose true conservatives and label them as "liberals" to suit one's personal view of the world. Stalin loved revisionist history, as does his deciplies, the left.

Tell me Kev- just how can Obama join the ranks of elite presidents when-

1. He is set to bankrupt the nation with record debt levels through massive social programs? This helps no one. What other president has placed the nation in such a precarious financial situation, such that we will be at the mercy of our creditors?

2. He regards the Constitution as "flexible", with interpretation made at his discretion to suit his political needs?

3. What other president has dispatched "spies" to public sites (the internet) to quell dissention and has sent union thugs to disrupt peaceful political rallies?

4. What other president has demonized and villified political opposition media outlets and has spent so much time and energy villifying media talk show hosts? Is he that paranoid and insecure?

5. What other president has nationalized the auto, financial, and healthcare sectors of our economy?

6. What other president has been so consumed with the concept of financial redistribtion of wealth instead of personal property rights?

7. What other president (besides Bush) has proposed the sacrifice of our national borders by advocating amnesty to foriegn illegals?

Talk about teapartywisted.
EZ answers:
1.) Ronald Regan. George Bush the 1st. George W. Bush II.
2.) The Constitution has always been flexible. We do this through something called Amendments...Read them.

3.) Nixons tapes or Watergate ring a bell?

4). This one could take days. Nixon...Regan... ect.

5.) None, as is the case today. However, Presidents have used force to keep business running. That is not new.

6). Most. The more proper and interesting questions are who did they chose to redistribute it to and why.

7). You really asking this about a country that eliminated most Native Americans to allow immigrants to migrate here?

8.) Regan. and W. Oh yea... and...Some Republican named Lincoln.

Go to school and learn why this country is so great and what it really cost.

Last edited by oldtimer2; 04-07-2010 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies