Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 10:31 PM

700 posts, read 638,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Again, the point is that the numbers are up from 2007, 2008, which was in my op.

According to the article and the people they talked to, the taxes coming down the pike and the increased regulations are not conducive for remaining a US citizen....on obama's watch.

Got a link for that chart?

Again, from the article;

I guess the WSJ, or any other outlet, shouldn't print stuff the Left doesn't like to hear.

Deal with it.
"According to the article and the people they talked to..."

That's the problem. Out of 500 people, THREE are interviewed. Not surprisingly, their reasoning for expatriation coincides with the point of view the article's author is attempting to convey. If he wanted to be objective, he could've mentioned that these issues predate the Obama presidency and perhaps aren't related at all to the policies of his administration rather than the vague hypotheticals about regulations and taxes "coming down the pike".

"Got a link for that chart?"

Here's the link. It's from a tea partier, no less. Scroll up on the page and links are also provided for each quarter dating back to '96 if you want to count it yourself.

IRS Taxpatriates Lists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 10:51 PM

1,089 posts, read 655,321 times
Quote:
How else will we pay for his massive deficit spending?
Did you have a concern for the debt when Bush doubled it?

Old 04-07-2010, 12:03 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Talk about selfish babies...
Easy to say when it's not your money.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:02 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
More Americans Sever U.S. Ties as IRS Gets Tougher - WSJ.com

Truly sad the anti-business tax and regulatory environment obama has created will force what seems a record number to give up their citizenship.
It's a free country. Those who want to leave will find the door open. I think that's a good thing.

Quote:
How else will we pay for his massive deficit spending?
You didn't have this same concern two years ago.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:16 AM

146 posts, read 223,505 times
Wow really people???

You know I know we all know that the internet is a bleak wasteland that is full of cybernetic demons, plush toy cancer rates and the comedian known as carrot top; who are all just waiting around the next razor lined corner hoping to be mentioned in a serious discussion.

But I never though such a true travesty of our culture like this could ever be summoned from the land of realism and truth, brought by the op shining like the sun onto the radioactive hell hole known as the internet.

I mean, stop grasping at straws to convey political opinion.

It is absolutely "pathetic" in every sense of the word.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:25 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keroppininja View Post
Wow really people???

You know I know we all know that the internet is a bleak wasteland that is full of cybernetic demons, plush toy cancer rates and the comedian known as carrot top; who are all just waiting around the next razor lined corner hoping to be mentioned in a serious discussion.

But I never though such a true travesty of our culture like this could ever be summoned from the land of realism and truth, brought by the op shining like the sun onto the radioactive hell hole known as the internet.

I mean, stop grasping at straws to convey political opinion.

It is absolutely "pathetic" in every sense of the word.

yeah...what you said.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:37 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
You noticed that too eh?

Anyway, another tempest in a teapot, and another failed attempt at a gotcha from the right.
Yeah, you notice the thread is still open and I'm still here.

Epic, Classic Fail, as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trillion View Post
"According to the article and the people they talked to..."

That's the problem. Out of 500 people, THREE are interviewed. Not surprisingly, their reasoning for expatriation coincides with the point of view the article's author is attempting to convey. If he wanted to be objective, he could've mentioned that these issues predate the Obama presidency and perhaps aren't related at all to the policies of his administration rather than the vague hypotheticals about regulations and taxes "coming down the pike".

"Got a link for that chart?"

Here's the link. It's from a tea partier, no less. Scroll up on the page and links are also provided for each quarter dating back to '96 if you want to count it yourself.

IRS Taxpatriates Lists
I think the author did mention previous years, but the point is that in the first quarter, the number has "soared", which we can see from the chart and from the article. The fact remains that obama policies have exacerbated the situation.

Last edited by sanrene; 04-07-2010 at 06:50 AM..

Old 04-07-2010, 05:54 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Yeah, you notice the thread is still open and I'm still here.

Epic, Classic Fail, as usual.

I think the author did mention previous years, but the point is that in the first
quarter, the number has "soared", which we can see from the chart and from the article. The fact remains that obama policies have exacerbated the situation.

Obama's policy or more of Bush not enforcing the law the he himself signed stricter rules around in 2006? Again, the article states the large increase was due to the push by the IRS to oh I guess to do their jobs. So lets just turn our heads and allow citizens to hide their income overseas. Yeah thats it, no need to go after the wealthy tax cheats lets just go after the middle class citizens living in the states.
Damn..your clairvoyant about tax increases for the middle class that has not occur, but excusing the wealthy tax cheats living oversease.

And by the way, it wasn't the first quater, it was the 4th quater.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:16 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Truly sad the anti-business tax and regulatory environment obama has created will force what seems a record number to give up their citizenship.?
You think the green card holders are going back home because of Obama, or maybe because it is hard to find jobs at the moment? Why are many illegals returning back to Mexico? To get away from Obama economic policy? Sigh.....

Old 04-07-2010, 06:25 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Again, the article states the large increase was due to the push by the IRS to oh I guess to do their jobs.
No, it doesn't.

Quote:
The IRS says some of the swelling of numbers of expatriations toward the end of 2009 occurred because the agency made a push to notify people that had already surrendered their passport, but had not completed the process by submitting the IRS form.
Quote:
Others are giving up their U.S. nationality to avoid tax increases in the U.S., as the government struggles under huge budget deficits. The top marginal tax rate is set to rise to 39.6% from 35% at the end of this year. A proposal to tax fund manager pay at ordinary income rates, instead of the 15% capital gains rate, is gaining currency in Congress.
Quote:
You think the green card holders are going back home because of Obama, or maybe because it is hard to find jobs at the moment? Why are many illegals returning back to Mexico? To get away from Obama economic policy? Sigh.....
Sigh....not about illegals.

Really quite amusing to see the Leftists get their panties in a wad from a legitimate news story...once again.

Last edited by sanrene; 04-07-2010 at 06:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies